Painter, Laptops & Wacom - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm considering buying a laptop soon for use with programs like photoshop, painter and even flash. I'm not the richest person and i don't know alot about laptops so does anyone have any advice about what technological factors are the most/more important.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthegeek
    I'm considering buying a laptop soon for use with programs like photoshop, painter and even flash. I'm not the richest person and i don't know alot about laptops so does anyone have any advice about what technological factors are the most/more important.
    Like I said before, the more ram, the better. Try to get at least 1GB of ram, and if you can afford more, go crazy. Any modern low end CPU (The lower speed P4/Mobiles and Core Duo's and Core 2 Duo's are pretty cheap right now. The 6300 Core 2 Duo is around $189US) will work fine in 2d applications like Photoshop and Painter (mostly for filters, etc) and a mid range Video card (ati x600, x800 and Nvidia 7000 series, both for laptops) will work fine.

Here's an example...

View here

This one is on the cheap, but with a dual core processor (athlon X2), 2gb Ram and a pretty good screen (1280x800) and for $550US, it's a pretty good deal for Photoshop/Painter work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Fred,

Inserted below is what I experienced on my system.

System specs:

WinXP Home SP2
    Pentium 4
    2.53 gHz
    512 MB RAM
    120 GB hard drive with about 73% free space

Quote Originally Posted by Fredbt
    Jin, you made me curious since you named 3 brushes I never use. I do traditional watercolor painting and have never liked the look of Painter's watercolor. The same applies to the impasto brush. I just don't like the look of it. The liquid pen I have never tried until now.

Here is what I found in my tests at 300 dpi:

Liquid Ink - Coarse Camel
    Very slight, hardly noticable lag at 45 pixel brush size when making a very fast swipe across the canvas. No lag when strokes are slow and deliberate. The way I normally paint. This also stayed constant with a 70 pixel brush.
    Similar results with both brush sizes on a 650 x 650 pixel, 300 ppi image.

Watercolor - Fine camel
    Same results as above with both a 45 pixel brush and a 70 pixel one.

Impasto - Graphic Paintbrush
    70 pixel brush had no lag at all, with a fast or slow stroke.

When I maxed out all three brush sizes at 749.9 pixels, here's what I found:

Liquid Ink: I was told I don't have sufficient memory for that operation.
    Same result.

Watercolor: A very slight, but noticable, lag in the stroke.
    Considerable lag that would make me not want to work with such a large brush size. (I wouldn't in any case, work with the brush size maxed out since it's just too large to be useful even if it did render strokes quickly.)

Impasto: No lag at all.
    After resizing the brush to maximum size, there was a long delay before I could use the Graphic Paintbrush variant. The stroke rendered reasonably fast, though there was lag at such a huge size.

After doing these tests with brush size maxed out, Painter IX.5 froze and I had to use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to close it.

I'm used to lag with extra large brush sizes, especially with more complex brush variants, due to having only 512 MB RAM and not as much processor speed as I'd like. I'm also not surprised to have Painter IX.5 freeze after pushing it by using maxed out brush sizes.

Were I to choose some of my more complex Liquid Ink, Watercolor and Impasto variants, the lag would be even more severe and it's likely I could not use these brush variants at maximum size (which, again, I wouldn't anyway).

An example is my custom Watercolor variant, WCDryCamel-antique-pool. While I was able to use brush sizes 45 and 70 with no lag, the largest brush size I was able to use today was 426. Though the actual painting of the brush stroke across the image was fairly fast, the larger the brush size, the longer it takes for the brush stroke to finish rendering (for the Watercolor Layer's water droplet to stop animating and the paint to "dry").

Here's a screen print to show the stroke before the water droplet icon stopped animating (using brush size 100), and after the brush stroke was completed:

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

At brush size 100, it took up to a minute before the brush stroke was completed and the water droplet icon stopped animating.

At brush size 426, it took several minutes (maybe 5 or 6 minutes) before the brush stroke was completed and the water droplet icon stopped animating.

We can blame my brush lag on not having a powerful enough system but I think that's not the answer for everyone. Many artists who have far more powerful systems than mine also complain about lag and overall slowdown when working on large images and using large brush sizes, especially with the more complex brush variants and even without multiple Layers added to the demands on system resources.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jin,

Based on your system I would say that RAM is the biggest issue there. I would love to see a 2nd test of the same procedure above using 1024mb, and even another with 2gig.

People say that you can never have too much RAM, but I reckon there is a point where it becomes overkill. Unless you don't plan to upgrade much in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, AJ,

I don't know (or don't remember if you said earlier in this thread) what your system specs are, but you're more than welcome to download the custom Watercolor variant I used in the test and try it on your system.

It was designed in Painter 7 but it also works in Painter 8 and Painter IX (IX 9.1 and IX.5). Here's where you can download my WCDryCamel-antique-pool.xml file, the first one on the page:

Painter 7 Custom Water Color Brushes, by Jinny Brown and Friends

Click the link named Jin's 1st Brush - download .XML file .

Let us know how it goes, along with your system specs, so we can compare results.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, Jin. I would never use a maximum sized brush for anything. I only did it as a test to see if it would blow up my computer. pld:

Below is an example of the type of paintings I do in Painter. This one was painted at the actual print size of 20 X 28 inches at 200 dpi in Painter 7. (I have my large, giclee prints made by an outside supplier).

I only used three brushes, as is my custom: The Oil Paint brush, Airbrush and Fine Dry Brush (for blending). These brushes were from Painter Classic version 1.0.1 and are, in my opinion, the very best brushes ever created for Painter. It's too bad I can no longer use Painter 7 and the brushes that worked so well for me for over 15 years.

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

This detail will show the brush strokes and how much more "painterly" the art looks. When reduced for the web, the painting looks way smoother than it actually is.

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Fred,

Have you tried Importing the Painter Classic 1 brush library into your current Painter version? If not, try it and see if your favorite brush variants work as they did in Painter Classic 1.

Warning: Painter Classic 1 Water Color variants won't work the same in Painter 7 as they'll use the new Water Color brush technology. In Painter 8 and Painter IX, they'll use Method: Digital Wet and work like Digital Watercolor.

The other brush variants you mentioned may work as you want them too, the same as they did in Painter Classic 1.

In case you don't know how to Import the brush library:

1. Make a copy of the Painter Classic 1 brush library file and rename the copy, Painter Classic 1 Brushes (Mac) or Painter Classic 1 Brushes.BRS (Windows).

2. In Painter 7 (or your current Painter version), click the Load Library command.

3. Click the Import button.

4. Navigate to the folder whare your Painter Classic 1 Brushes.BRS file is located, highlight the file, then click the Open button.

5. Wait while Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX (IX 9.1 or IX.5) converts the brush library .BRS file to folders and files and places them in the appropriate locations.

6. When the Imported brush library name appears in the Brush Libraries list, highlight it and click the Load button. Now the Painter Classic 1 Brushes library is loaded and ready to use.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Jin.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

I have been importing my old Painter Classic brushes into each upgrade of Painter from Painter 3 to Painter 7 and making them my default set. I used no other brushes and almost felt silly upgrading except for improvements in layers, etc.

Everything worked perfectly, and although Painter 7 was the first version to change the make up of the brush files, they still worked. They went from a single icon entitled, "Painter Classic Brushes" to a folder full of of .xml files with .jpg picture files of the brush shapes. That was fine. I didn't care what they became on the hard drive as long as they worked.

They are currently my default set in Painter 7 on both my Mac older G4 PowerBook and my new Mac Pro computer. They work as usual on the PowerBook and almost normally on the Mac Pro - EXCEPT they won't apply any paint on the Mac Pro. It has to be a problem with the Intel processor on the newer Mac Pro computer since that is the only difference that I know of.

Those same Painter Classic brushes will not import into Painter 8 nor Painter 9. I get an error message that says: "Can not open an empty brush file." Or something to that effect. Don't remember the exact wording.

To add to my woes, the Wacom pen isn't as accurate on the MacPro as it has always been. I can't do anything with detail because of the pen's behavior. Before, it was always like painting and drawing with natural media. It just felt completely natural and normal to paint in Painter. Now, everything I attempt looks like a very young, beginner's (who isn't even an artist) efforts.

Very, very frustrating!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fredbt:

Something in your last post about the way the Wacom behaves on the MacPro leads me to believe we might be having the same problem. Here's a link to my thread on the problem:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82575

I don't know if this is what you were referring to, but I can't do any kind of detail line work because of how the media goes down in stroke form--really jagged--and it definitely gives it that "amateur" feel even on the most painstakingly rendered drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Not exactly that. My lines aren't jagged. I just can't place them exactly where I want them. That makes it very difficult to do my realistic painting style.

I only saw the problem I'm having once before. That was many years ago with my first Wacom tablet. The early very tablets weren't as accurate as they are today.

I hope both of us can figure out our problems. Sure makes it hard to paint anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rub my face in your ability to draw smooth lines why don't you!

I hope both of us can figure out our problems. Sure makes it hard to paint anything.
    Word. I just want to paint. Best of luck to you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Jin.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
    Thanks! I did have a nice Thanksgiving and hope you did too.

I have been importing my old Painter Classic brushes into each upgrade of Painter from Painter 3 to Painter 7 and making them my default set. I used no other brushes and almost felt silly upgrading except for improvements in layers, etc.

Everything worked perfectly, and although Painter 7 was the first version to change the make up of the brush files, they still worked. They went from a single icon entitled, "Painter Classic Brushes" to a folder full of of .xml files with .jpg picture files of the brush shapes. That was fine. I didn't care what they became on the hard drive as long as they worked.

They are currently my default set in Painter 7 on both my Mac older G4 PowerBook and my new Mac Pro computer. They work as usual on the PowerBook and almost normally on the Mac Pro - EXCEPT they won't apply any paint on the Mac Pro. It has to be a problem with the Intel processor on the newer Mac Pro computer since that is the only difference that I know of.

Those same Painter Classic brushes will not import into Painter 8 nor Painter 9. I get an error message that says: "Can not open an empty brush file." Or something to that effect. Don't remember the exact wording.
    Import is used to convert older version brush libraries for use in Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX (IX 9.1 and IX.5).

Once the Metacreations Painter Classic 1 PClassic.BRS brush library file has been converted for use in Painter 7 (converted to folders and files and all folders and files placed by Painter 7 in the correct locations), that brush library doesn't need to be Imported again into Painter 8 or Painter IX (IX 9.1 and IX.5).

Here's how I did it:

I renamed a copy of the Metacreations Painter Classic 1 default brush library from PClassic.BRS to Metacreations_PClassic.BRS, then Imported it into Painter 7.

Next, I moved a copy of the converted brush library folder (converted by Painter 7 to folders and files) from the following Painter 7 folder location...

From Painter 7

Program Files > Painter 7 > Brushes > Metacreations_PClassic

...into the following locations for Painter 8 and Painter IX:

To Painter 8

Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter 8 > Brushes > Metacreations_PClassic

To Painter IX (IX 9.1 or IX.5)

Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter IX > Brushes > Metacreations_PClassic

Launch Painter 8 and load the Metactreations_PClassic brush library.

Launch Painter IX (IX 9.1 or IX.5) and load the Metacreations_PClassic brush library.

Everything should work pretty much the same except for Water Color variants because they'll use the new Watercolor brush technology in Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX (IX 9.1 and IX.5).

NOTE: When loading the Metacreations_PClassic brush library into Painter IX, I got some error messages related to the Pencils' Thick & Thin Pencil variant. I clicked the OK button until the errir messages stopped appearing and the rest of the brush library seems to be OK (didn't check all brush variants, though). If you get that error message too, you can just replace the Pencils' Thick & Thin Pencil variant with one from the default Painter IX brush library.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin, I hate to be such a pain. I've looked into Painter 8's brushes and found hundreds of them that don't load when I launch the application. In the brushes folder there are two folders: Brushes and Painter Brushes. There is also a text file named, Pre-Built Brush File. Only a few of the brushes in the Painter Brushes folder load. None of those in the Brushes folder load.

There are 52 variants of the Palette Knife, yet only 16 of them load when I launch the application. They are all in the same folder. To make it worse, 15 of them are the same, just different sizes! It's the same with all other brushes; many varieties, but very few of them load.

When I go to "Load Brushes" it won't let me load anything. I can see them, but the "Open" button is grayed out.

I quit Painter 8 and tried taking one brush out of the Brushes folder and putting it in the Painter Brushes folder to see if it would show up. The application suddenly quit each time I tried to launch it until I removed that brush - then it launched as usual. Boy, it didn't like that!

It's late now, but tomorrow I'll follow your instructions to see if I can get any other brushes to load. It sure doesn't look promising, though.

Thanks for all of your help. I hope you can hang in there with me until this mess is resolved. I'm beginning to hate Painter. Until about a month ago, I loved it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin, I hate to be such a pain. I've looked into Painter 8's brushes and found hundreds of them that don't load when I launch the application. In the brushes folder there are two folders: Brushes and Painter Brushes. There is also a text file named, Pre-Built Brush File. Only a few of the brushes in the Painter Brushes folder load. None of those in the Brushes folder load.

There are 52 variants of the Palette Knife, yet only 16 of them load when I launch the application. They are all in the same folder. To make it worse, 15 of them are the same, just different sizes! It's the same with all other brushes; many varieties, but very few of them load.

When I go to "Load Brushes" it won't let me load anything. I can see them, but the "Open" button is grayed out.

I quit Painter 8 and tried taking one brush out of the Brushes folder and putting it in the Painter Brushes folder to see if it would show up. The application suddenly quit each time I tried to launch it until I removed that brush - then it launched as usual. Boy, it didn't like that!

It's late now, but tomorrow I'll follow your instructions to see if I can get any other brushes to load. It sure doesn't look promising, though.

Thanks for all of your help. I hope you can hang in there with me until this mess is resolved. I'm beginning to hate Painter. Until about a month ago, I loved it!
    Hi Fred,

Take a good look at this path that ends at the folder used to contain all brush library folders and the Pre-built Brush File, the Brushes folder.

Windows - Program Files\Corel\Corel Painter 8\Brushes

Mac - /Applications/Corel Painter 8/Brushes

Inside that folder is the default Painter 8 Painter Brushes brush library folder and any extra brush libraries you've added (or not).

Now the path looks like this, going down one more level and ending at the default Painter 8 Painter Brushes brush library folder:

Windows - Program Files\Corel\Corel Painter 8\Brushes\Painter Brushes

Mac - /Applications/Corel Painter 8/Brushes/Painter Brushes

Again, the only things you should find in the Brushes folder are brush library folders and the Pre-built Brush File.

The Pre-built Brush File is used to store brush information to make brush building faster (Painter has to build the brush before we can use it). Once that information has been stored in the Pre-built Brush File for a specific brush, Painter can just refer to that file and brush building (of that brush) is now faster than it was the first time. The Pre-built Brush File can grow very large, very fast depending on the brushes being used. When it gets too large, it can slow down Painter's performance, so many of us got in the habit of deleting the Pre-built Brush File after each Painter session. No harm is done if it's deleted because Painter will automatically generate a new Pre-built Brush File the next time Painter is launched.

Now to explain what all those files you see in the Palette Knives brush category folder really are:

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's one that should help. Below the image I'll explain what each of the color-marked file types is and how it's used.

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

The files highlighted in red are the NIB and STK files automatically created by Painter 8 and used in Painter 8 to display the brush nib and brush stroke in the Tracker palette and in the Brush Selector Bar's brush variant list where you can choose to display the brush variants in one of three ways: List, Thumbnails, or Stroke. The default display is List and when that's the way the brush variants are displayed, you see the brush nib image to the left and the brush variant name to the right.

The 16 files highlighted in yellow are the default brush variant files you see listed in the Brush Selector Bar's brush variant list when the Palette Knives brush category is selected.

Notice that there's a NIB file and a STK file for each of the default brush variant XML files and they have the same names as their associated default brush variant XML files except the extension is either .NIB or .STK.

The file highlighted in blue, named CategoryData.xml is another one that's automatically created by Painter 8 and it's used to store information as to the currently selected brush variant.

The file highlighted in green is a cached brush variant file, automatically created by Painter 8 and used to store temporary user settings made to the default brush variant. In this case, the default brush variant I selected and used was the Palette Knife.xml brush variant. The cached variant has the same file name except the file name is preceded by c_ so the full file name is c_Palette Knife.xml. When we restore the brush variant to its default state (Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant), Painter 8 automatically deletes that cached variant and Painter 8 again takes its instructions from the default brush variant file.

Some brush categories contain brush variants that also have associated JPG files with the same names as the default brush variants. These are Captured Dab brush variants. Their brush dabs are based on images, thus the associated JPG files. A good example is the Artist's brush category where two of the brush variants are Captured Dab variants, the Sargent Brush and Impressionist variants. Another example is the Chalks brush category that contains three Captured Dab variants, Square Chalk 35, Square Chalk, and Variable Chalk, all of which have associated Captured Dab JPG image files. These Captured Dab JPG image files must remain with their default brush variant .XML files so those Captured Dab variants will work in Painter.

Now you know the 16 Palette Knives variants you see listed in the Brush Selector Bar's brush variant list are the only brush variants in that brush category, so you're not missing anything.

The reason you counted 52 files in the Palette Knives brush category folder is probably due to there being more cached variants than there were in my Palette Knives brush category folder. If I continued using other Palette Knives variants, there would be more cached variants added to that folder, until I restored all brush variants in the currently loaded brush library to their default state (Brush Selector menu > Restore All Default Variants) and all of those cached variants would be automatically deleted by Painter.

The command is Brush Selector menu > Load Library.

When you use that command, the Brush Libraries dialog box opens displaying a list of all brush libraries in your Corel Painter 8 > Brushes folder that are available to Load and use in Painter 8. In order to Load one of those brush libraries, you need to highlight the brush library name, then click the Load button (there is no Open button).

If you want to Import a brush library from Painter 6 or an earlier version, you'll first need to click the Brush Libraries dialog box Import button, navigate to the older version .BRS brush library file, highlight the file name, click the Open button, then wait while Painter 8 converts the single .BRS brush library file to folders and files and places them in the correct locations. When the brush library name appears in the Brush Libraries list, highlight it and click the Load button.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin: Thanks so much for the effort you put forth in trying to help me resolve this frustrating problem. That takes time and I do appreciate it.

I went through all that you outlined here and none of it works for me. I renamed my Painter Classic Brushes, as you show, and tried to get them to open in Painter 8 and 9.

This error message came up each time:
    The brushes are read only and cannot be opened.

Once, I even got this message:
    The directory "Brushes" could not be found within the application directory. Please select your Painter Brushes file so I can create one.

I did that and got the same message again:
    The brushes are read only and cannot be opened.

I noticed that neither version of Painter created the .stk nor the .nib files needed for the brushes. They still only have the .xml files. One error message mentioned that the additional files needed weren't found. I assume it means the .stk and .nib. They weren't in the Painter Classic brush folder and they weren't created by the later versions of Painter.

I would be so happy if somebody could tell me how I can toss every brush in either Painter 8 or 9 and replace them all with just these five things from my old Painter Classic set :

1. Oil Paint brush

2. Airbrush

3. Palette Knife - Fine Dry Brush

4. 2B Pencil

5. Eraser

That is really all I want and all I need to do what I want to do. Those items are all I've ever used anyway. They used to open just fine in Painter 7 and were my default brush set. All of the rest is just wasted on me and gets in my way.

How can I make these few brushes from my old set work? How do they get the necessary additional .stk and .nib files if the application doesn't make them? Are there people somewhere who could take these brushes and re-create them so they work? I'm at my wits end.

Thanks again, Jin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Fred,

No one can give you these files since they're part of the Painter program installation and covered by the License Agreement.

However, I can write you step by step instructions to get the brush variants you want that are currently available to you in Painter 7, into Painter 8 and Painter IX.

I won't be able to do that until some other things are finished up but will try to write the instructions as soon as possible, hopefully later today or tomorrow.

What I'm guessing is happening is that one or more of the necessary files are not being moved to Painter 8 or Painter IX. That happens frequently with people who haven't yet learned how to manage Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX brushes. Don't feel bad. It's complicated and confuses the best of us!

Take a deep breath and I think we'll be able to solve your problem.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Jin. Anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fred,

Save a copy of this message to your hard drive (or print it). Take time to read through the entire message carefully. Then don't rush yourself, but follow each step exactly, and I think you'll be back in business again.

Here's a brief overview of what you'll need to do in order to have your favorite brush variants available to use in Painter 8 and Painter IX (I'll write the detailed steps below this overview):
    • Create a new folder to use as a brush library folder
    • Create a brush category folder.
    • Create a brush category JPG icon image file that must be exactly 30 x 30 pixels.
    • Copy all of the Painter Classic brush variants you want to use, from your Painter 7 > Brushes folder.
    • Paste the copied brush variant files into your new brush category folder.
    • Copy your new brush library folder and paste it into the Painter 8 > Brushes folder and the Painter IX > Brushes folder.

1. In your file manager, create a new empty folder somewhere outside of the Painter Classic 1, Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX application/program folders. For this demonstration, I created a new folder named For Fred in the root folder on my C: \ drive:

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

2. Inside that folder, create another new folder. This will be your new brush library folder. Name this new brush library folder My Favorite Brushes.

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

3. Inside your My Favorite Brushes brush library folder, create another new folder. This will be your new brush category folder.

4. Name your new brush category folder My Favorite Variants.

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

5. Launch Painter 7 and create a 30 x 30 pixel image to use as your new brush category folder's .JPG icon image file. Here's the one I created for this demonstration and you're welcome to use it if you want, though I'm sure you can create something more to your liking:

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

6. Save the 30 x 30 pixel icon image in JPG format to your new brush library folder My Favorite Brushes, using the same name as your new brush category folder but add the .JPG extension at the end so the icon image file name is:

My Favorite Variants.jpg

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

7. Go to the Painter 7 application/program folder, then locate your favorite brush variant .XML files.

8. One at a time, copy all of your favorite brush variant .XML files.

9. Go back to your new brush category folder, My Favorite Variants and, one at a time, paste your copied favorite brush variant .XML files into that new brush category folder.

NOTES:

Since your list of favorite brush variants didn't specify the Airbrush variant and Eraser variant by their exact names, for this demonstration, I moved a copy of the Airbrush's Medium Stroke variant and the Eraser's Medium Bleach variant into the My Favorite Variants brush category folder. If those are not the variants you want, you can move a copy of the appropriate variants into the My Favorite Variants brush category folder instead.

Also, the Palette Knives' Fine Dry Brush variant is a Captured Dab variant so I moved both the Fine Dry Brush.xml file and its associated Captured Dab JPG image file named Fine Dry Brush.jpg into the My Favorite Variants brush category folder.

10. Now you should have a brush library folder named My Favorite Brushes. Inside that brush library folder, you should have another folder, your new brush category folder named My Favorite Variants, and a .JPG brush category icon image file named My Favorite Variants.jpg. Inside the brush category folder, you should have all of your favorite brush variant .XML files plus one JPG Captured Dab image file named Fine Dry Brush.jpg associated with (and necessary) for the Fine Dry Brush variant.

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

11. Highlight and copy the brush library folder named My Favorite Brushes.

12. Paste the copied My Favorite Brushes brush library folder into the following folder for Painter 8 then Painter IX:

Painter 8

Windows - \Program Files\Corel\Corel Painter 8\Brushes

Painter IX

Mac - /Applications/Corel Painter IX/Brushes

Windows - \Program Files\Corel\Corel Painter IX\Brushes

13. Launch Painter 8, go to the Brush Selector menu, and choose Load Library. In the Brush Libraries list, highlight My Favorite Brushes, then click the Load button. Now your favorite brush library is loaded and ready to use in Painter 8.

14. Launch Painter IX, go to the Brush Selector menu, and choose Load Library. In the Brush Libraries list, highlight My Favorite Brushes, then click the Load button. Now your favorite brush library is loaded and ready to use in Painter IX.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Jin, what can I tell you? I did it all exactly as you outlined the procedure. I printed the four pages of text, with your pictures, and went all the way through it, step by step. Here is what happened:

First, I made the folders as you instructed. (Separated here to show how they were nested.)

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Then, I put all the brush files and .jpgs into the My Favorite Variants folder. (I added a few more than I mentioned as you can see, but what th' hey?)

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Then I launched Painter 8 and went to Load Library

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

There, I saw My Favorite Brushes.

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Selecting that and clicking Load produced this rather dismal message:

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Did I do something wrong? If I did, please point it out. I don't mind. I'll do anything to get this thing working!!!

Could it be that the brushes lack the .nib and .stk files? I noticed that the additional set of brushes that never opens in Painter 8 also lacks the .nib and .stk files. If I attempt to load those brushes, I get the message below and they won't open either:

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Groan!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fred,

I don't know why you're getting the error message saying the files are read only, but do see some things in your screen print that don't look right and that may be the only error message Painter can figure out to use in an instance where the user has placed files in the wrong locations:

The following four files should not be inside your My Favorite Variants brush category folder, as they're JPG brush category icon image files:

Airbrush.jpg - This is the JPG brush category icon image file for the Airbrush brush category.

Brush.jpg - This is the JPG brush category icon image file for the Brush brush category.

My Favorite Variants.jpg - This is the JPG brush category icon image file for your My Favorite Variants brush category.

Palette Knives.jpg - This is the JPG brush category icon image file for the Palette Knives brush category.

NOTE: Both brush category folders and their associated JPG brush category icon image files must be at the same level, inside the brush library folder.

Only if you plan to have all four of those brush category folders (Airbrush, Brush, My Favorite Variants, and Palette Knives) in your My Favorite Brushes brush library will these files need to be located inside the My Favorite Brushes brush library folder, along with their associated brush category folders.

Since the only brush category folder in your My Favorite Brushes brush library is the My Favorite Variants brush category, the only one of these JPG files that's needed is the My Favorite Variants.jpg file.

In your My Favorite Variants brush category folder, delete the following JPG brush category icon image files:

Airbrush.jpg
    Brush.jpg
    Palette Knives.jpg

Then move the My Favorite Variants.jpg brush category icon image file out of the My Favorite Variants brush category folder and into the My Favorite Brushes brush library folder as shown in the screen print from my previous message:

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

The following file is missing its associated .XML brush variant file:

Palette Knife.jpg - This is only half of the pair of files needed to make the Palette Knife brush variant work. It's the JPG Captured Dab image file for the associated .XML brush variant file, Palette Knife.xml. You need to have both of these files in your My Favorite Variants brush category folder since the Palette Knife.xml brush variant is a Captured Dab variant for which the brush dab is based on an image. If one of the two files is missing, the brush variant won't work and it may also prevent loading the brush library properly.

As I explained earlier, several files are automatically generated by Painter so you don't need to worry about them or do anything with them. These files are:

CategoryData.xml (used to store information as to the currently selected brush variant

.NIB files (used to display the brush nib inside Painter)

.STK files (used to display the brush stroke inside Painter)

.XML files for which the file name is preceded by c_ (cached brush variants used to store temporary user settings made to the brush variant)

Last edited by Jin; December 1st, 2006 at 01:57 AM.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As I explained earlier, several files are automatically generated by Painter so you don't need to worry about them or do anything with them. These files are:

CategoryData.xml (used to store information as to the currently selected brush variant

.NIB files (used to display the brush nib inside Painter)

.STK files (used to display the brush stroke inside Painter)

.XML files for which the file name is preceded by c_ (cached brush variants used to store temporary user settings made to the brush variant)
    I've done all you've told me, Jin, and none of it works. There are so many things that just don't make sense to me. I worked around the "read only" error and got the brushes to open, (Using the "Get Info" on my Mac - "Properties" on a PC) but since they have no nib or stroke files, they don't work. I can create a brush for my palette knife using a charcoal nib and stroke file (for example) and save it as that, but all I have is another charcoal brush not a palette knife. Below is how my Painter Classic palette knife looks when opened:

Painter, Laptops & Wacom
    Completely useless.

The really screwy thing to me is, I have the extra Painter brushes that came on the second CD with Painter 8 installed and they only have .xml files. Because of that, I still get the message shown below when I try to open them:

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Why would they put the extra brushes on the CD without including the nib and stroke variant files? Painter does not create these files automatically, or at least I don't know how to get the program to do it. The extra brushes came with the program. They should work without any action on my part, but they don't. Why?

I hate to take any more of your time, Jin. I appreciate all you've done to help me. I feel that there has to be an answer to this problem and it's probably a simple one, but I just don't know what it is.

Seems all I have learned is that Painter 7 didn't need nib and stroke files for the brushes and Painter 8 and 9 do need them. Hence, I can't load old Painter Classic brushes, or even the extra ones that came with Painter 8.

Perhaps I should go to the dreaded last resort and read the manual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Fred,

I think what's missing is that you don't understand the Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX brush folder and file structure.

It's basically this:

Brush Library (folder)
    ...Brush Category (folder inside the brush library folder)
    ...Brush Category JPG icon image file (with the same name as the associated brush category folder, also inside the brush library folder)
    ......Brush Variant XML files (inside the brush category folder)
    ......JPG Captured Dab image files (inside the brush category folder, only if there are Captured Dab variants in the brush category)

As you can see above, for a brush library to load and work in Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX, there must be a brush library folder.

Inside the brush library folder, there must be at least one brush category folder and a JPG brush category icon image file with the same name as the brush category folder.

Inside the brush category folder, there must be at least one XML brush variant file and if it's a Captured Dab brush variant, also a JPG Captured Dab image file with the same name as the XML Captured Dab brush variant file.

On Painter 8 CD 2, when you open the Brushes folder, you'll see a list of other folders, all of which are brush library folders:

CPainter8CD2
    ...Brushes
    ......Calligraphic Brushes
    ......Effects 1
    ......Effects 2
    ......Fun Brushes
    ......F-X
    ......Gooey
    ......Graphic Design 1
    ......Graphic Design 2
    ......Impasto
    ......Mouse
    ......Nature Brushes
    ......New Paint Tools
    ......Painter 5 Brushes
    ......Painter 6 Water Color
    ......Photo
    ......Stitch
    ......String Brushes
    ......WebMedia Brushes
    ......Wet on Wet Brushes

Using the Painter 5 Brushes library and only one brush category (Artists) as an example, there are 7 brush variants in the Artists brush category, one of which is a Captured Dab variant so there's also an associated JPG Captured Dab image file in the brush category folder:

CPainter8CD2
    ...Brushes
    ......Painter 5 Brushes (brush library folder)
    .........Artists (brush category folder)
    .........Artists.jpg (brush category JPG icon image file)
    ............Auto Van Gogh.xml (brush variant file)
    ............Flemish Rub.xml (brush variant file)
    ............Impressionist.xml (brush variant file)
    ............Piano Keys.jpg (Captured Dab JPG image file)
    ............Piano Keys.xml (Captured Dab brush variant file)
    ............Seurat.xml (brush variant file)
    ............Van Gogh 2.xml (brush variant file)
    ............Van Gogh.xml (brush variant file)

Since it probably contains all of your favorite brush variants....

To use the Painter 5 Brushes library in Painter 8 highlight the Painter 5 Brushes folder on Painter 8 CD 2 and copy it.

Paste the copied Painter 5 Brushes folder into the following folder on your hard drive:

Windows - Program Files\Corel\Corel Painter 8\Brushes

Launch Painter 8, in the Brush Selector menu, choose Load Library. The Brush Libraries dialog box opens. Highlight Painter 5 Brushes, then click the Load button. Now the Painter 5 Brushes brush library is loaded and ready to use in Painter 8.

You do not need to worry about NIB and STK files. As long as you've placed the appropriate folders and files in the correct locations, you'll be able to load the brush library, use the brush variants, and Painter 8 will automatically generate the CategoryData.xml, NIB files, STK files and any needed cached brush variant files (ones for which the file name is preceded by c_ when you select a brush variant and use it.

Try following these instructions only, to use the Painter 5 Brushes brush library from Painter 8 CD2, without adding anything else to the mix, and I think you'll find it works and you'll at least have had one success. Then in time it will become more familiar and you won't have all these problems.

If it's still unclear, all I can suggest is to study the folder and file structure for the default Painter 8 Painter Brushes brush library to see how those folders and files are arranged.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Happy Days are Here Again!
    Thanks for all the help, Jin. I finally got it through my thick skull how brushes are supposed to work. That's part of the good news.

The bad news is that it sorta' worked, but not really. I kept getting error messages and a few of the brushes that would open had variants they shouldn't have had. Example: the 2B pencil made strokes from the impressionist brush! To add to my aggravation, the error messages (see below) came up each time I selected a brush. The brush would finally build, but most didn't work as they should, and they had no nib size showing in the brush palette. I tried the Fun brushes and several other sets. Only a few of them worked properly, and even those had to go through the error messages each time they were selected.

It appears I had corrupt files. Also, Painter 8 suddenly quit a couple of times during this process.

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Since waiting for a brush to be built every time it was selected, and then not do what it was intended to do, was such a pain, I went digging through my backup files looking for a copy of the original, never converted Painter Classic brushes to see if that would work.

The rest of the good news: To my surprise, I found an old set of Intous brushes that are the same brushes as my old Painter Classic set. I have no memory of these Intous brushes. They must have been included in a Wacom tablet purchase at some point.

Be that as it may, they are exact duplicates of the Painter Classic brushes I've always used.

I dragged a copy of that set into the brushes folder of Painter 8 and they work!!!

All is well that ends well. Thanks again, Jin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've tried these Intous brushes in my trial version of Painter IX and they work there, too. (Does a happy dance!)

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.