When can I start to paint with Oils?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: When can I start to paint with Oils?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When can I start to paint with Oils?

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to rush. Study fundamentals first before moving on to next stage. This piece, while (of course) far, far from perfect, is my best work completely from imagination so far (except for the structure and big house, I can do better). If I wanted to focus on Pencils, there would be no problem: Just continue drawing. But My life goal is Oils, I'm starting with pencils to learn form and value. So here's a dilemma: How good my pencil works need to be before I can start focusing on Oil? Is this good enough or do I need a few weeks/months of study? You can also refer to my sketchbook to get a broader picture on my progress.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just continue drawing. You aren't ready yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I think you can start to paint in oils after transfer this drawing for a canvas. In my case, I just place the line art, to define the contour of what I want to paint. After that, I start to paint using the drawing as a reference for the values and tones. Usually, I don't finish the drawings too much, I just go to a stage that can help me to solve the issues of painting with oils.

best regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks very good as a pencil sketch. If you hadn't said otherwise, I'd have thought you made it from observation.

Concerning your question: it depends, of course, on your methods of work. Personally, I never move onto color, on any technique, until I've solved all the proper drawing problems with pencil at the desired final level (structure -which I always fail pathetically at-, placing, local tones, lightning/claroscuro and texture) so when I add color, I know I'm adding just that: color, i.e. temperature, and I usually do one or more dummy color versions to get the most from the drawing.

In this case, if it was me, I'd keep on working a bit more on the texture of the clouds and the first plane grass and pine-trees (which btw I think should be taller). However, if you think you can manage those effects better directly with the brush, you just need to make a good line-art template to transfer what you already have into your canvas and you'll be read to go.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to elemile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't get why everyone is assuming it's either-or. If your ultimate goal is oils, wouldn't it make sense to start using them now to get a feel for them, but at the same time continue your pencil studies?

For learning how to draw and make good pictures, continue with pencils.

For learning how to physically manipulate oil paints and learn their quirks, and to start actually producing paintings, start trying oils.

Oil paintings will only be as good as your pencil drawings. So do you think your current work is good enough to be full oil paintings? If so, go for it. If not or if you're unsure, might as well try with the paints but keep in mind to look at your pencil draftsmanship for improving.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your pencil work is amazing!
    i myself had just recently started using oil paints, I never been taught how to use them. I am still experementing with media.
    Im not sure if you are talking about oil pastels or oil paint.
    however my steps would me if you want to try out paint, start with water paints, move to acrylic and then go to oil paint.
    if you were talking about oil pastels, start with pencil, then chalk pastels and then oil pastels.
    hope this had helped you, good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to paint with oils, paint with oils. Don't wait to reach some arbitrary level before you start experimenting or doing what you actually want to do. Art doesn't have to be a joyless slog!

Just paint when you want to paint and keep doing studies and pencil work to practice and brush up on your basics. Your paintings will improve with time and practice.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.