Does this work?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Does this work?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Does this work?

Name:  EKB Castle2013Sm.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  394.8 KB

I spent a few days working on this and was hoping for some crit. In an attempt to speed up my workflow I painted this without any opacity in the brush.
    It is all painted over a scanned pencil sketch then coloured digitally in Photoshop using a round brush, 100% hardness, 100% opacity.
    With exception of the background sketch no tones or colours are blended using opacity.

My concern is there are some large areas where there are flat colours, the clouds at the top of the painting and the place areas at the bottom.
    Is this distracting and do these areas look unfinished or stylised? I was aiming for stylised but depending on reactions may change it and add more blending.

Also is there enough life in the scene? Any feedback and help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jacobiahs,

I think your picture at this stage doesn't work. There are too many things missing for the viewer to understand the scene.
    First of it's not readable to me, I don't know what's going on. Nothing is really guiding me through the picture except maybe for the bridge, but it's leading me to a place that I don't understand. I see the claw-like stones, then I hop to the sun and back to the bridge. Only very late I notice, what seems to be a tower and something that could be a stream of lava, but it's leaving me unsure about what I am seeing.

However the tower appears to be quite important for the picture as it seems to be the center of the dramatic sunlight.

The sun is breaking through the clouds but casting no shadows. There is no real depth in that picture and with that no 'life in the scene'

To improve it you should think about what the picture is supposed to tell the viewer and then guide him by placing shadows or lighten up places that are of meaning.

The colors are another topic, but I think there is a lot about colors, that one's just gotta learn, to understand. At this point I can't really say anything to that.

You won't succeed, if you don't learn to fail.

SKETCHBOOK | NABYN | BLOG

dschunai's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I personally like this one, it looks like some old comics image. But I agree if you want it looks like more as a traditional image, you will need some sense of shadow and light... Currently you have all the material, just add a layer for shadow and another for light... That will help creating a dramatic sense and focus on some part, currently it's hard to focus : the eyes run everywhere without stopping. You need to decide what you want to be the principal and secondary centers of interest and then works on this.

Anyway, I really like your image, that remind me some comics like Rahan, master of universe and so

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it, actually, but I'm thinking some darker values in the foreground (basically the bottom left bit with the bridge) would be nice.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your image. I think that's it's a great starting point to an even better image. I did a paint-over to show some of the places that can be enhanced. I think some things that are needed are atmosphere and small splashes of color to help give some depth.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keith_v For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for the responses.

TearUp that something is meant to be lava but at the moment it really doesn't work so I'm making some changes to that part of the image.
    The use of colour is very much intentional I wan't to restrict the pallet and I'm not striving for realism. It's a test for a children's comic book.
    It's a tip of the hat to the use of colour in old comics. I'm trying to resolve how the media will look.
    This will just be one of a number of tests to see what I can achieve and in what time frame.

Griffonnage - I'll be making a few changes to the composition that will frame the tower a bit better.

krysjez - The darker values in the bottom left corner help a lot cheers for that suggestion.

keith_v - Cheers for taking some time and doing the paintover.
    The darker values in the cloud have really framed the tower and make the composition work a lot better.
    Mist in the lower part of the image also works a lot better. I'll have a play round tomorrow and post the result.

Thanks for all your suggestions it's really appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does this work?

I finally got round to finishing this off. I got carried away making a font then some other stuff came up.
    Then last week I got asked to exhibit some work so I finished this off so I could show something new.
    Additional feedback would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer the version before you added hatching, it has more clean, comic colored look, although clouds needed a little more work.
    For these distant rocks you could use colors more similar with the sky to emphasize the distance.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugival For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still love the overall image.

One thing I feel a little sad about are the clouds... The little sized brushe stroke give them a noise effect that do not match very well. I think that could be better with a large brush, keeping the transition colors by colors as you did.

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.