NSFW - Nudity concept art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: concept art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face concept art

Last edited by TheUppertaker; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello.... the basic structure of the character is not good, the main problems I noticed are in the proportions... take a book of figure drawing and check it.... about the rendering, you can give more attention to it later, for a novice, you did not make a bad work on it... focus first in the figure...

best regards and keep going

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pauloricardo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure the people here will be accommodating, we all had to start somewhere.

I'm quite the newbie myself, but from my view I see anatomical problems all around. (For instance, the body is very elongated. I suggest you find a model of a man standing and try to mimic that. And the head.) But tons of people will yell at you about anatomy, and their advice would be to run off and do some figure studies. Always fun.

But I know that your interested in this character so Ill give you some reference for the cool peg legs your pirate is sporting. Right now those pegs are just stumps, which would be really hard to stand on for someone without legs. If it was just one peg leg, then balance could be achieved. Bust since the double pegs are a feature take a look at lil' tink tink.

Notice that these runners pegs take the weight of the body, consider these instead of the straight metal pipes.

They might also talk to you about the cape. And how it seems to be made out of some sort of metal, I'm assuming its cloth. It doesn't seem to lay on the body as cloth would. Look at this lady.

Notice that even though the model's hanging arm isn't necessarily interacting with the cape, but due to gravity, it will hang very close to it coming right off the shoulders. You're dudes arms are jutting a little forward, so the cape would have to be folded over the arms, kinda like the lady. It will take a bit of studying.

Hope this helps man, keep drawing!

Sketchbooks:
    Virtual Sprite - New
    Cali to SC, The Joshua Hollis Story - Old

W.I.P. Threads:
    By Crom! - Done

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.R.Hollis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am self taught myself- I can tell you that it will take countless hours of practice but it will pay off if you stick to it.
    Pauloricardo and AzusaPeasant have already given you some helpful advice and I wanted to include someof my own thoughts as well.

Before you even begin to render details to your character, make sure that the initial base of your figure is grounded withing the picture, this will help you to avoid balance issues further into the painting.

If you don't mind, please take a look at my suggestions, its easier to express through showing you rather than trying to explain.
    Name:  popiratethingのコピー.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  255.5 KB

1. Give your character something interesting to do, that way your audience will also have something more exciting than a static figure to look at. At the same time, make sure your anatomy is believable and that the balance of everything looks okay.
    2.Clothing is best designed over the nude figure, this way you can see how the cloth should interact with the body. This helps you think in terms of 3D rather than simply 2D/Lines when you are planning your drawing.
    3.You wanted stilt like legs for this character so place them where the center of balance of the feet would be. That is the reason that I have kept the feet up to this point in the drawing. The principles of balance are all the same, so you need a solid foundation there.
    4.Once you are happy, you can begin to render your details.

You can keep this linework layer separate from your coloring layer, so that you can quickly have a point of reference when coloring.
    The same goes with color- work first by laying down big strokes of color to indicate where the light and shadows are before working your way down to the smaller details.

Good luck and happy drawing!

---------------------------------------------------
    EZpaint's Finished Work: Here

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EZpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You need to draw from reference more. You do not notice details accurately yet, so when you try to draw them from your head you make mistakes. For example, your character's face looks very unnatural. Real eyes do not have that simplistic shape. The nose you drew is too small. The mouth is in the wrong place. You did not draw lips! You do not have all this knowledge in your head yet, so you must look at a real human or a photo while you are drawing. Find a photo of an old man, study it carefully and go back to correct your mistakes. You will have to do this many times until you can observe accurately and remember what you observe.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks

Last edited by TheUppertaker; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:43 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 2