Art: Death Inc concept art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Death Inc concept art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Death Inc concept art

Hi Guys,

Here are some of the concepts and comic images I've been working on for our game 'Death Inc'. To fill you in on the background a bit, myself and 4 others set up Ambient Studios about a year 1/2 ago. We got funding from a big publisher to produce a game, which late this November was canned. Not to be defeated we came up with a new idea for a couple of games, the artwork for Death Inc you can see here.
    I'm doing the art direction on the project and we have another artist Jon Eckersley creating the 3d environments in Maya and Unity (there is an in-game shot below)

The game is based around a character called Grim, he's a reaper at the Ministry of Mortality but he's had it working for the 'the man' and decides to set up his own freelance reaping business. That's were you come in, taking control of Grim as he sets about 17th Century England spreading the plague and collecting the souls of the peasants, noblemen and lords. Its a pretty dark subject and as a company we're not really focused on gritty realism or very violent games, so I took an approach with the art style that contrasts with its themes. We wanted to inject a bit of humour into the mix so none of it is very serious - the infected in fact become happier with the plague than without as they escape the grim nature of 17th century life.

I hope you guys like the artwork, it was inspired by a number of things. Tilt shift photography was the starting point as we needed to create an interesting look from the isometric camera angle and it proved a great way to play with depth and focus.

There are a number of artist who I really admire and who influence all my work. Dice Tsutsumi is like a digital Sargent - his use of colour and tone are just amazing, Noah Klocek can paint light like few others. Matt Cruickshank has some really beautiful illustrations that influenced the approach with the landscapes. Finally Klimt and Anders Zorn are two of my all time favourites. Klimt's landscape work is just incredible and I tried to reference his paintings in one of the comic sheets. I want to mention these artists as I always find it interesting to see what drives other peoples work.

There's a mix of stuff here, mainly concepts for the main game, but I have also posted the first part of the comic, with words by Jonny Hopper.

I hope you guys like what you see

Cheers

Tim

Name:  characters_villagers_male_big.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  133.8 KBName:  characters_villagers_mix_big.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  128.4 KBName:  concept_3_big.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  191.7 KBName:  concept_4_big.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  124.1 KBName:  concept_5_big.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  161.1 KBName:  Plague_doctor.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  197.8 KBName:  screenshot_3_big.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  139.9 KBName:  characters.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  140.5 KBName:  concept_6_big.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  127.1 KBName:  concept_7_big.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  145.8 KBName:  concept_office_big.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  137.3 KBName:  screenshot_4_big.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  139.5 KBName:  page02_hi.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  179.6 KBName:  page03_hi.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  180.0 KBName:  page04_hi.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  156.7 KBName:  page05_hi.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  292.7 KBName:  page06_hi.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  169.8 KBName:  page07_hi.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  136.2 KBName:  page08_hi.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  115.3 KBName:  page09_hi.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  208.7 KBName:  page10_hi.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  112.2 KBName:  page12_hi.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  133.3 KBName:  page13_hi.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  187.5 KBName:  page14_hi.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  65.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've done a great job with the art man, i really like the mood! And the colors are awesome too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant work, man! This project sounds like it has a lot of potential.
    those in game screenshots...are they modeled in 3D or mostly 2D assets?
    *edit*
    just watched the trailer- that's all 3D. That's really cool. Like...really really cool.

Last edited by Aether Technician; February 10th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers buddy! Everything is modelled apart from the a mattepainting for the distance which is on a 2d plane.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to clarify - in the village shot, that characters and effects were added in photoshop to suggest what it might look like, the environment was 3d game assets. In the coastal shot its all 3d game assets - modelled in Maya and running in Unity. The only 2d element is the plane that has the matte painting on.

Cheers

Tim

Members who have read this thread: 2