my chances of getting in Scad? (new user)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: my chances of getting in Scad? (new user)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my chances of getting in Scad? (new user)

Hey just found this site and thought it seemed pretty awesome
    that artists who sign up and share opinions on protfolios and advice. Anywho, I was currently wondering, what's my chances of getting in Scad? I have a 2.8 gpa but so far my senior year and I have mostly As and few Bs. I take 2 Ap classes (one in art and english). I've done a whole lot activties like being able to work with msg varsity network during a football game, been in track for 3 yearsand cross country 2 and got in the top ten all county list both years for cross country and. One all county award in track for the 2mile. I'm VP of art club and video club and was even ch oosen to design my schools class of 2013 shirt and year book cover. I was also choosen to represent the art department at my school. I did a whole lot of community service like design props for plays and even help teach small kids how to paint and draw during the summers for a program. My only concern really is, would my activties balance out my ugly gpa? My sats was a 1440 but I misseddd a reading part so when I take it again in march I hope to get atleast a 1600 since I studied as well. My art protfolio I would say is pretty good like a 7 out of 10 but with mostly narritive pieces. Should I add more observation pieces or design? When I went to a info date for scad the lady said I should have a protfolio with stuff I'm best at. Also how often do they give athletic scholarships? I'm considering running for their xc team if it gets me a scholarship..thanks sorry if I wrote so much.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Art schools & Education subforum is probably better suited for your question.

Also googling Conceptart plus Scad gives this result: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...NOT-go-to-SCAD

I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    SCAD may have a reputation and connections to big companies, as well as faculty with professional experience from those companies (The animation teachers include people from Disney and Dreamworks), but the fact is they'll let any student in if they have the money. For every talented student, there's 25 mediocre ones (at best) who just came in from their parent's money who you'll never see working beyond their assignments, let alone take advantage of resources like the free life drawing sessions that appear in multiple buildings each Friday (which is a day off from classes), which spans from 9:30am to 7:30pm. You read that right, and it's open to anyone allowed into the buildings.

I'll tell you it was certainly disheartening to realize how rare it was to ever see a fellow classmate take advantage of the free life drawing, let alone hear the attitudes of many freshmen about the topic at all. Anyone who doesn't take advantage of the kind of privilege should be ashamed of themself.

If you can find any scholarship opportunity, TAKE that opportunity. SCAD costs a LOT.

And make sure you look around for other schools, as well.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 9th, 2013 at 08:33 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that is pretty shameful, thanks for the info. But do you know how often they give such scholarships including athletic ones? I heard they give it away like candy. I've already applied to MICA how's their acceptance rate? I always hear different opinions that both are easy if you just have $

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    moved

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of schools give full atlethic scholarships. But ask yourself are you going there to study art or to do sports. Because you won't learn anything with 10 hour training sessions per day. There are scholarships for portfolios and for sat. You should post your work so that somebody can evaluate them. You could also look at the accepted portfolios and see if your's match up (or are better/worse) with somebody's else work. If your portfolio is that good you should get accepted everywhere. Look also at schools like CCAD, they don't give almost no sh*t about your academic achievments. @Psychotime I heard that a lot of SCAD freshmen dropout and it's not hard to see why, when you accepted people without a portfolio you also get people who thought that art was easy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as I know, no art schools give athletic scholarships.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SCAD is very, very easy to get into. You will have no problems.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    As far as I know, no art schools give athletic scholarships.
    SCAD does: http://www.scad.edu/admission/cost-f...hips/other.cfm, http://www.scadathletics.com/sports/...aspx?path=wsoc
    As far as I know, SCAD is the only art school with an actual athletic department. And, you can major in horsies!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by platformerbg View Post
    @Psychotime I heard that a lot of SCAD freshmen dropout and it's not hard to see why, when you accepted people without a portfolio you also get people who thought that art was easy.
    Or that just passing the classes is gonna guarantee a job.

It's great how every professor I've met likes to hammer in the fact that just passing the classes and getting a degree doesn't mean a damn thing in the real world if your skills aren't up to par.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah SCAD isnt very had to get into. I even heard they accept sucky people who can pay so they can give more scholarships to the good people. I also heard of someone getting a scholarship for animation just for submitting pretty photographs. I got in last year and they gave me scholarships even though they didnt like my portfolio. Im trying again this year hopefully they like it this time.

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Psychotime's statements are completely true of SCAD, and I felt the same way when I went there, but honestly it's the same situation in all colleges: there are always people who are only there for the whole "college experience" on their parents' dollar and won't take their education seriously regardless of what school you go to. And no, SCAD isn't hard to get into, but as long as you put effort into your work and pay attention you'll come out having learned a bunch. Except the art history classes, I hardly remember anything from those and they make you take at least 4 of them...

Oh, and it is a VERY expensive school, (but again: college generally is. It's an investment in your future! ) They're more than happy to give you scholarships when you register, but once you're enrolled the scholarships get very competitive.

___
    Pronounce my name however your heart tells you is right, then click on this stuff:
    Art - Videos - Weird Commercials

Members who have read this thread: 1