Thread: Shaman painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shaman painting

Name:  shaman sketch big.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  268.8 KB
    He is based on lore from trundle in league of legends, which is unimportant. I sketched a horrible version of this maybe a year ago, but i came back to it and added some form and lighting and here's what he looks like. whatcha think?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't really figure out what is going on with his anatomy. The big question is do you even know yourself or did you just scribble something in? You can't add light and form to something without knowing what the form is.

I would suggest going back to your sketch and figure things out before you attempt to paint it. Try the pose yourself and try to understand it. Perhaps you got a friend that could pose for you.

I think that the sketch has potential and a lot of character, but to be truly honest with you at your current skill level it might be to much for you to be able to pull off. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try but rather that it is important to study the basics before you focus on more advanced things.

Welcome to Concept Art by the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    1. Working on a figure without working on the background in the same time is never going to produce good lighting. Value only makes sense in context of the whole picture, not on a blank gray backdrop.

2. Use a bigger brush, you are scribbling.

3. Improve your knowledge of perspective and anatomy. Spend more time planning, than painting.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A good rule in poses is the silhouette rule. If you black out your character entirely so that he is just a silhouette, can you tell what he is doing? If not, then your picture will not read well.

Someone here on CA posted this (I'm sorry, I found it through Google so I can't tell who it was or where it came from) and it shows what I mean:

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1