lighting conditions for drawing on paper indoors
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

lighting conditions for drawing on paper indoors

I've read a lot of the topics here about lighting conditions that recommend a full spectrum light bulb for painting.

I am not painting but drawing with pencil/charcoal etc. Along with the figure drawing sessions that I go to, I'm also doing a lot of drawing at home and want to cut down the digital wacom tablet use (also because it kills my hand :p). I also ordered the Asaro Head model and want to draw from that as well as other real objects.

I am wondering how people set up their lighting conditions for drawing in a poorly lit area. With my current situation I unable to work in an area with good natural light. The room I have set up (basement) doesn't have many windows and the lighting is poor. The desk lamp I have gives me a crappy yellowy light and a headache, and the ceiling lights in this room cast all kinds of crazy shadows across the paper which is no fun.

Would full spectrum lamps give better lighting and reduce room shadows? What else should I be doing to get good lighting conditions for drawing?

this is an exciting, interactive and ballin sketchbook sig

ᶑ( ʘ؀ʘ)╜
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Better desk lamp with a full spectrum bulb? Actually, unless your lamp is from the stone age, you should be able to replace the crappy yellow bulb with a full-spectrum bulb...

I usually do fine drawing at night using an easily adjustable and movable desk lamp with a full spectrum bulb; or with a desk lamp and ceiling light combined, though whether that would work for you might depend on your ceiling light situation. My drawing board has one of those big lamps with a swing-arm, so it can be easily positioned, and it's big enough to light the whole board evenly.

Maybe two movable lamps with full spectrum bulbs would work? Then you might get better control over your lighting situation. Basically the easier it is to move the light around and adjust where it's pointing, the better. And with two lights you can get rid of annoying shadows on your paper.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.