landscape WIP - critique wanted
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: landscape WIP - critique wanted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

landscape WIP - critique wanted

Is the composition all right? Is the piece worth finishing? And could you please give me an advice on how to render things to the final result, it would be much appriciated.
    Name:  swamp.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  377.1 KB
    Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Less scratching with a tiny brush. More block-in with a huge brush.

Get a very clear idea of where your light is coming from, then block in the lights and the falling shadows. Make sure all lights are brighter than all shadows. Make it simple and readable.

Add midtone and detail next.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the composition, maybe I would add a foreground element (i.e. a bush, branches or similar). I also would add a person or somthing recognizable for us, like an animal, to make a relationship with scale (maybe this could be a giant landspace, or a "camera-shot" of a detail in the ground made with a macro....)

To add detail....Iīm not an expert adding details because Iīm not too patient but maybe Iīll add some texture on it and play with the opacity and the layer modes to integrate it with the rest. If you donīt want to add details to everything I would add detail to the principal elements to guide the eyes of the viewer. Take a good photo reference and paint the details based on it. And time time time.....I donīt think another way to add detail

Greetings
    Jorem

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Be bold.
    Crap paintover

Name:  swampa.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  18.1 KB

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again, i think you need to decide from the start, what your focus is. If its composition just go purely for composition and do a shit load of thumbnails. If its final render then perhaps dont worry too much about the composition yet but look into how to fully render stuff out. Choose one and run with it. Atm is seems like you are thinking about too many things to improve efficiently.

If its composition, then ask yourself where do you want the viewer to look. How will the eye flow around the image. Is your waterfall the kinda 'selling point' of the image. If thats your main focal point make the track more defined in the foreground and kinda gradually lead it towards the water. If its then tree...then make sure everything kinda 'points' towards the tree. As previously pointed out you have no strong foreground element. Typically, you want a foreground middleground then background. so yeah thumbnail it, doesnt even have to be good or defined. Off the top of my head BradWright has a CGhub gallery with a shit ton of speedpaint thumbnails.

If you want to focus on rendering then what do you have to lose from trying to render this out?

On a side note, you seem to like doing environments and i think if you search 'Kalen Chock livestream' and check out some of his videos. I mean 'Tutorial Tuesday Jan 29th' about 37mins in, seems hella relevant to you. So just do the research, got nothing to lose! lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys, you have been most helpfull, i will try to repaint it. If i understand correctly, thumbnails are just b&w sketches so i can define light source and values? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again jakc3,

Well, thumbnails are usually in b&w, but you can do them in color too if you want it. Thumbnails are a little sketches (miniatures of a few cm) where you can "oversee" the fundamentals of your painting (perspective,lightning,scale....). If there is a rule with thumbnails I would say this: "Keep it fast and simple". Donīt take too minutes doing a thumbnail because they are only a method of aproximation to your final piece. Itīs recommendable to make a few before to start your painting to see different posibilities to approach.

To make it with color or not depends of yourself, but you must be warn about that in the color pieces is harder to see the values, thatīs because many people prefer to do their pieces first in a grayscale an then colorize it.

Greetings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  thumbnail_valley copy.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  344.7 KB
    would this be considered a thumbnail? or is it ''detailed'' too much

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    They're called thumbnails because they're small. If the composition doesn't work small, it won't work big with all the details. Think a couple of inches.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    They're called thumbnails because they're small. If the composition doesn't work small, it won't work big with all the details. Think a couple of inches.
    100% agree. They must be small for two things (in my opinion):

1) In a small scale is like to make a large zoom-out in your piece and this will let you to see the composition in a more "abstract" way.

2) Make it small involves not to focus on the details, so, you can make a wide number of thumbnails, to let you explore different posibilities in order to choose the better for your purpose.

Greetings

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.