Sketchbook: That swedish gals' stuffs
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

That swedish gals' stuffs

Hey there!
    I am brand new with this forum but really looking forwards to getting to know more people, learning and sharing.
    I started drawing in April 2010 and have been drawing on and off since then, sometimes I have had 5 month breaks because I just couldn't find the motivation to draw when I didn't know how to draw from my imagination. Even though I know that practice is the only way to learn! I'm a bit silly like that, want everything to have happened yesterday or even better the day before that.
    Oh well. A couple of weeks ago I decided to finally take the giant step towards making art a living which means practice, promotion, marketing, practice, video-making, practice, blogging, practice, facebooking, practice, foruming and, last but not least; practice.
    I am SICK of having to trace to make a drawing good enough, I am sick of not knowing the programs properly and mostly I am SICK of not being able to draw whatever I have in my head!

So, to end this rant, please join me on my adventure mission towards becoming a professional artist.

We will start with the very beginning and move forwards in time. I will post most of the things I have done before and ALL the things I do now in chronological order, even though it makes me awfully embarrassed. Because masochism is a way of learning!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *growls at stupid picture includer thingie*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We need to see some drawings to critique you :3

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, yeah, I am aware that you need to see drawings! xD
    My internet connection decided to die out on me just as I had posted that and now, when I have posted my drawings, some of them will not show and I have no idea why.... Anyone know how to fix it? D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it looks like it can be abit buggy sometimes, try again? ^^

Sketchbook -------- Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adding just a few more old ones before I start uploading what I'm at now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of practice sheets from the other day, the top without any reference and the bottom molesting poor Alan Rickman. I have realized it's way harder getting the lines where I want them with the drawing tablet than with the regular pencil. The goal for this week is to be awesome with mouths so more practice sheets coming up soonish!
    be as harsh as you want with the critique, only way for mne to spot my mistakes (though I have seen many of them already)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my, oh my, I forgot to add my watercolour and oil paintings! Here they are.

Self portrait (I KNOW it's spelled expect!) and daring to be ugly:

This self portrait is about how panic builds up inside but you force yourself to hide it and it becomes desperation.

I feel very uncomfortable about this one. My teacher forced me to let go of all control and dare do something really ugly. It was very difficult to present it to the rest of the class and I felt awful but it taught me a lesson: I am too much of a perfectionist and must let go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished the mouth sheet!
    They are all drawn from reference and then some are inked in Illustrator. All shading is made without reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I have practiced gesture drawing at the AWESOME site http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ you should really check it out!
    I have also drawn my FIRST face ever without any reference at all and am rather pleased with the result! The nose and ear aren't reeally great but I just couldn't seem to get them right.... One day I will be awesome with ears and noses and then I can fix them. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a huge gap in quality between several of your works. o_O Maybe do some timed poses for the chicken scratch on your gesture? That helped me with my lines, because I didn't have time to chicken scratch anymore. I shouldn't be one to give advice though!

This face looks way better than the last one (from 8 feb), so congrats on doing that completely from imagination.

Look, I updated my signature!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HederaHiberna: Thank you for looking and commenting!
    I tried 30 min class mode which was several pictures, some for 10 seconds and then longer time. This one was a bit longer and I was not really interested in likeness or prettiness but getting the pose and gesture right was the main concern, hence the chicken scratches. I am having an issue with too much control and not enough energy and flow in my drawings so just keeping on drawing without hardly touching the eraser is a big progress for me! I will definitely use that site more, for example for figure drawing.

Not sure what fac e posted feb 8 you mean... if it's the caricature then, well, it's a caricature. If it's the pencil drawing then aye, it's made from reference more than two years ago so I am glad that I have improved since!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some colouring practice.
    Note that I DID NOT make the lineart! I found it here: http://bygon.deviantart.com/art/pirate-lineart-27497164

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketchbook stuff from the last couple of days! Sorry about the picture quality, using a Samsung Galaxy SIII to take them and it's not really perfect. In a couple of months I'll get access to my scanner again and then it'll look better!
    No references used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AGH den med fingret i ögat. Ow. I'd like to see you try to render your digitals like you render your oils,with layers upon layers of brush blots. I lay down colours and then build shapes by seeing the abstract-ness mess and trying to find a shape. It comes natural after a while i guess, i didnt really start painting until 2~ years ago, only pencils by then.I have the exact opposite issue, too much from imagination, not enough studies, and crippling fear. I think you show alot of potential though.

My sketchthing
    -------
    If i don't reply to questions on others sketchbooks, send me a message. I'm very scatterbrained

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LoudLikeNature: Thank you so much for your feedback! I am not sure what exactly you mean by your description of painting, is there a video or something that describes what you mean? It sounds very interesting, finding shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

help

Ah sorry, took me some time to see your question. Umm, not sure my stuff would be the best example, here's some process images which shows how i put down some colours, and then just try to get something out of it. No reference images used, so it might look abit wonky. I'm only roughly going over the process.

Part 1
    Bucket tool for solid background. Putting down shapes, using chalk brush because it challenges me and feels painterly. Opacity 100% with transfer.
    Looks like a bear/otter/hermeline, whatever.

Part 2
    Trying to make an otter whatever. Sculpting colours around it. I always use the colour picker for new colours, it adds variety.I didnt do much of colour picking in this one though.

Part 3
    Decide to make a deer instead, using the mixer brush on dry (& a few strokes on wet) i start to pull and paint over, always keeping in mind to sculpt out a form. I also decide the pose now. After getting familiar with painting the thought process of sculpting should be subconsciously, i never think about it now.

Part 4=final
    Looks passable, Starts to add texture using dissolve mode on chalk brush and pencil tool. Mixer brush on wet is abused now. Fading of shape by using opacity at 50%.
    At this point there's much left to do, but seeing as this was done in less than an hour, and it's for someone else...i think its okay?

also, about what u said on my sketchbook, let's work hard to improve together!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by LoudLikeNature; February 24th, 2013 at 06:10 AM.
    My sketchthing
    -------
    If i don't reply to questions on others sketchbooks, send me a message. I'm very scatterbrained

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will definitely try that kind of painting, not planning ahead and not being too precious with details and just see where I end up and so on, seems like fun and something I must practice! I am a perfectionist and my teacher tried to get me out of it by having me draw very loose and sketchy and not give a damn about anything but the basic shapes and so on. She had me make a self portrait in two minutes with watercolour, told me to be as swoopy as I could and draw as ugly as possible. I posted it a couple of posts above here and to be honest I hate it! I felt awful showing it off to the class and almost paniced, eyes filling up with tears even. It made me realize that I have put too much pressure into my art and let it become a must instead of just loosening up and have fun with it. Valuable lesson but a darn hurtful one too!

Also, here are some sketchbook studies from yesterday, all these made with the help of http://www.pencilkings.com:

Last edited by ArtOfAnna; February 25th, 2013 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My goodness I'm absolutely digging that fem portrait you posted at the start!! Really bloody alluring haha also your watercolour & oil paintings are absolutely fantastic! You're definitely on a great start with your skb and I really look forward to see you conquer the transition between pencil to tablet... as well as seeing more from you!
    Keep it up, keep it up!

I'll be here with the Daggers for the rest of my art journey.
    Keep pushing people, let us be great together-!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    smrrrfette: Thank you so much for your kind words, that is very encouraging! It's a big step to go from copying existing images onto paper and actually learn to draw from your mind and then on top of that switch from pencil to digital so I need all the encouragement I can get. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Det kommer gå bra för dig, chilla! I'm liking the nose constructions, i have a pet peeve in art, and that's same facial/body constructions all the time. So just continue to explore different features

My sketchthing
    -------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, my pet peeve is gigantic boobs that looks hard as concrete.

Det tar så lång tid, bara, det är frustrerande, jag vill vara BÄST NU! xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! a good thing for you to do now is to perhaps try keeping a good schedule of gestures, and try to draw more. Drop the rendering and focus on the construction. When doing your gestures try to keep the time quite short and do a ton of em(when you think you've done enough do some more). Do some more form studies as well as cross contour drawings(go really slowly on this on and try to feel line against the form). That way you can reduce the feeling of flatness in your drawing, keep it up!

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Btw, i never did challenge you. I challenge you to draw more bodies....but...the challenge is that only one body part can be shaded! That way you'll get a cool look and maybe you can even study what difference there is with the shading and non shading. I think it'l be easier to deconstruct how to work with depth that way.

Eh, jag tycker du är duktig redan, du kommer bli fantastisk så länge du övar lite då och då ; B

My sketchthing
    -------

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.