Letter from Ward Kimball to an asipiring animator
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Letter from Ward Kimball to an asipiring animator

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Letter from Ward Kimball to an asipiring animator

Sharing this because it applies to everyone who wants to make a career from art. To Will Finn, who later worked for Disney.

Enjoy.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sprogis7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What great advice Shared this with my fellow animators in class, thanks for posting it!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No prob Kjesta! Ive gotta say that I am a little disappointed (and concerned for the community) in the lack of response to this post. 317 views, 3 acknowledgments. How many of you took the 5 mins to read this? I'm guessing 3. 3 percent. Shame on you Conceptart.org. Shame on you indeed.

Scarry is offline ...we have a lot of story yet to tell. Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for posting! That really is some solid advice, and I loved how he responded lol. Definitely saving this for future reference because it was very motivating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for this post. This letter help me actually. to the track of some questions I was walking around with. thinking about apply for an Animation School. http://www.animwork.dk/en/ and also believe that many who want to enter the industry. have a romantic idea of ​​what it's like to work as an animator. and I get quite a nasty surprise when they come out in the real world of animation

Last edited by Martin Jakobsen; February 11th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Im glad that reply stirred something up. Lack of response could be contributed to the typo in the title, i dunno I get sloppy when I type. Anyways I get a few emails from time to time asking for advice/critique and more or less I tell people this very thing, just not as well put. I'm no pro -- yet, but I've been down the road at Sheridan and it is no picnic. I've done an art/animation internship in LA, worked on projects for Nick, Dreamworks and Disney and a few other production companies (nothing too special believe me) but it takes so much hard work to make it and most people have no freaking clue. It takes complete dedication to make it in the Art Industry, not just animation. Concept artists still gotta know animation, and it helps to be able to do it as well. I truly hope this helps some people and lights a fire under their asses, or if nothing else a spark. That is all from me, any questions about my experience can be directed toward my email that you'll find on my blog. Good luck folks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprogis7 View Post
    No prob Kjesta! Ive gotta say that I am a little disappointed (and concerned for the community) in the lack of response to this post. 317 views, 3 acknowledgments. How many of you took the 5 mins to read this? I'm guessing 3. 3 percent. Shame on you Conceptart.org. Shame on you indeed.
    Shame on us for attending to more important matters in life then a forum thread.

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Artimatum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was drawing. Having a dick of a time figuring out what's good enough to go in my sketchbook and what isn't on this thing.

It's great, and refreshingly interesting as it's almost 40 years and written with much exuberance. It does make me wonder, though...what's with the 'Bullshit' stamp in the upper left?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsySiridean View Post
    what's with the 'Bullshit' stamp in the upper left?
    Good question, not too sure about that I was wondering the same.

Members who have read this thread: 1