Urban Sketching bags, what are your favorites?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Urban Sketching bags, what are your favorites?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Urban Sketching bags, what are your favorites?

For those who like to carry their larger sketchbooks with them (8.5 x 11 or 11 x 14) which carrying bags do you prefer? I realize this is a personal preference question but I like to hear what others find useful. I thought about a backpack but for me they seem very bulky and much larger than I would ever use. My items would be:
    8.5 x 11 to 11 x 14 sketchbook
    Mechanical Pencil
    erasers
    Pens
    water bottle
    MP3 player & headphones

Messenger bags seem like a good fit but I don't see the need to spend $$$ for a trendy bag. I was looking at military style surplus bags but some reviewers complain of shoddy stitching. I love the price of these compare to Timbuk2 bags and if it get's scuffed up it won't matter as much.

So besides using a plastic grocery bag (for you smart alecks) that might offer that has helpful advice, do you use when going out and about? Also for those that have gone to museums, did you end up pocketing everything or using a waist bag (fanny pack)?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have this Lands End shoulder bag that I've had for years that's incredibly durable, fits everything I need, and isn't too bulky, but unfortunately Lands End seems to have stopped making them. So I don't know what I'll do if/when that bag wears out... (The bag I have is black, about the size of a messenger bag, and made of sturdy heavy-duty canvas, with lots of handy pockets. The bags Lands End carries now are bigger, bulkier, and flimsier, with fewer pockets. Not so good.)

I also have a smaller, lighter EMS shoulder bag that I got at a sporting goods store, sort of a cross between a large purse and a small backpack. It's like a messenger bag cut in half. It fits two or three small sketchbooks, water, and a pencil case comfortably, and it's small enough and light enough so it won't be in the way if I'm sketching in a crowd or while hiking or something. It also has plenty of pockets. Pockets are good.

Sometimes I just throw stuff in a tote bag, if I'm just heading out to the park or something. (I collect free tote bags...)

Speaking of purses, a large purse with a shoulder strap might do the trick. Those suckers are practically as big as shoulder bags, and many of them are leather (leather bags are good - durable and waterproof.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I use a Timbuk2 bag because it's a bike bag and it's waterproof. Most of the time when I'm going sketching I go on my bicycle. The bag has to have a chest strap so it doesn't become a necklace, and I get rained on enough that the water resistance saves my sketchbook. The only problem with it is that the one-shoulder design is hard on the back, but the only real remedy for that is a backpack.

I don't really consider the price when buying a bag because I'm going to wear it until it falls off the straps. All I really ask is that it's useable on a bike and keeps my paper dry.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Members who have read this thread: 1