Technology 8th gen console speculation - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 8th gen console speculation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn you're right the 3rd party devs really are avoiding the wii u like it's got mono.
    http://kotaku.com/5967668/most-of-ea...skipping-wii-u
    Crysis even had a finished port ready to ship and pussed out at the last minute.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ort-had-to-die
    Poor Nintendo fanboys. All they get is italian plummers and a gorilla in a bow tie. While everybody else gets to play games with hollywood artists, writers and actors.
    I'd like to see if "project shield" can do the same thing as the wii-u, but on the PC or if it only displays what's already on the screen, which would be redundant.
    Same thing goes for the vita with the ps4.
    I know xbox has smart glass, but I don't think they've done anything relating to game play. I bet they're going to change that.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest I'd far rather play a new Mario game than yet another "immersive big budget experience" game. Nintendo still gets gameplay right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure, Nintendo is cool and all, but their consoles always revolve around them. It may or may not be their fault, but that's the case either way. If you think the game industry is resistant to new IP, Nintendo hasn't created one in about 20 years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pikmin and Xenoblade are excellent, but your point stands that Nintendo needs more new IP. New IP are probably the thing I'm most excited to see out of next gen consoles. Hopefully there aren't too many sequels.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is what PS4 can do vs PS3. GG made this when they thought PS4 only had 4 gigs of RAM rather than 8.

8th gen console speculation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a fair example. I was wondering what common low poly assets would be. I've seen objects of this quality in linear and unstable games this gen though. If this is the quality they can produce with an arm tied behind their back, then I guess this will be the quality of games the scale of skyrim can pull off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Damn you're right the 3rd party devs really are avoiding the wii u like it's got mono.
    http://kotaku.com/5967668/most-of-ea...skipping-wii-u
    Crysis even had a finished port ready to ship and pussed out at the last minute.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ort-had-to-die
    The reason EA seems to be avoiding the wii U is because of the sourness between the two company's recently EA wanted nintendo to run theyre online on origin(which would have pretty much handed over theyre entire online to the most hated gaming company in the world) And EA's having a fit becuase nintedo declined http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/ea-origin-wii-u/ .
    It's already proven something's gone down between them as they've said frostbite 2 barely works on wii U (a downright lie as both 360 and ps3 run that fine and cryengine 3 apparently fully supports wii u and from what I know that can barely run on a ps3 or 360) and that frostbite 3 will not support the console.

The reason most other companies are avoiding it is becuase of the player base being too small at the time which is understandable, but it is annoying and worrying people seem to think the wii u's player base was gonna rival the wii's and theyre kidding themselves if they think the ps4 or xbox 720(I refuse to call it infinity) are gonna fly of the shelves and have a giant player base from day one.

I'm wondering if were gonna see this loop for all the new consoles player base starts small devs avoid console no games= barely any sales. That's why I think xbox has to get off they're ass with a few new i.p's mainly first party games sell a console in it's first year and xbox has nothing.

Edit:Also most of them games listed have been in development for a while no point in porting to the wii u and the fuse devs have said they're open to porting it, and i'mpretty sure obsidian are in a bit of money trouble so why would they spend time and money to port south park to a new console.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EA's big e3 reveal should be pulling their head out of their butthole. They need to reboot the company and let their creatives have fun. They sunk a billion dollars in a graphics engine that they're wasting on games we've already played. They are not doing their shareholders any favors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aside from minor details the big picture hasn't changed. I guess the cloth might move a little more freely. It is a little hard to judge since this fella aint got a face. That's where poly count matters most. PS3=10,000 polys PS4=40,000 polys.
    It really reminds me of this
    While I was googling for that last image I found a thread on neogaff that shows giant screengrabs of the trailer. The colors are the biggest leap. The shadows are very chromatic and surfaces bounce light back into them. They are side by side with crysis 3 and really put it to shame when you focus on color. Now temperature plays a more important part in contrast.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...=514977&page=2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aside from minor details the big picture hasn't changed. I guess the cloth might move a little more freely. It is a little hard to judge since this fella aint got a face. That's where poly count matters most. PS3=10,000 polys PS4=40,000 polys.
    It really reminds me of this
    While I was googling for that last image I found a thread on neogaff that shows giant screengrabs of the trailer. The colors are the biggest leap. The shadows are very chromatic and surfaces bounce light back into them. They are side by side with crysis 3 and really put it to shame when you focus on color. Now temperature plays a more important part in contrast.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...=514977&page=2

My problem with these examples is that they seem to be so cherry picked, I mean The increase of the mesh bust doesn't necessarily prove anything, perhaps if that were the only area being improved with better computing but thats not the case,
    With the increase in computing/architecture, you can have say 10 busts with 60,000 triangles as well as better texture maps, instead of just a cloned single model. Increase in architecture means soo much more then excessive triangles.

As for the killzone models (which I know nothing of killzone) the thing that stands out to me is that one of the models (Shadow Fall) has a sort of internal dynamic lighting which could be sort of impressive depending on how that actually interacts with other models.

EA, I think their current decisions have been rather smart, and the frostbite 3 Engine has more than paid off, Its one thing to not like a game series like battlefield but their are plenty of customers that are more than happy with it. And with the recent acquisition of the Star Wars IP it will prolly be a key player in getting games pushed out relatively effortlessly.

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    EA, I think their current decisions have been rather smart, and the frostbite 3 Engine has more than paid off, Its one thing to not like a game series like battlefield but their are plenty of customers that are more than happy with it. And with the recent acquisition of the Star Wars IP it will prolly be a key player in getting games pushed out relatively effortlessly.
    How has E.A been in anyway shape or form smart recently, most gamers hate them for ruining they're own franchises dead space for one, and they had the brilliant idea to add microtransactions and online passes to most of they're games (they've given up on online passes but only because they've replaced it with always online.)

Also by picking an uneeded fight with one of the most popular gaming companies in the world and lying about it(in they're own words "wii u is crap and less powerful then a 360" which regardless of how weak or powerful the wii u will be in the long run is already proven complete bullshit), they're probbly gonna hurt themselves more then nintendo in the long run, if they really were that pissed of with the origin deal then they should haver just stopped developing for nintendo consoles and left it at that, but they feel the need to bitch moan and insult the company, which for a major gaming company is childish and if they ever went back on they're word and wanted to start supporting the console for whatever reason then it would probbly cause a ton more awkward problems with nintendo.
    And just don't get me started on sim city or that piece of crap origin.

Sorry for the rant, I just dislike EA if you had'nt noticed XD.

edit:link to the ea tweets http://www.metroweekly.com/technocra...-engineer.html

Last edited by triggerpigking; May 18th, 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know half the horsepower in the WiiU is spent projecting to the gamepad. I really don't know if horsepower solves their problem. They don't have games....Ever. Does anybody know why nobody wants to make games for Nintendo. This goes back to the N64. Is the code in Japanese or something?
    I seriously doubt half the horse power of the WiiU is used for the gamepad. That would perhaps be if they rendered something completely different on that screen than on the TV. Of course, games are the core issue. But I think Nintendo missed an opportunity to be able to just say, "look, our console is more powerful than any of the ones on the market right now." I'm sure that would've been enough to make a few more people interested in it, and it probably wouldn't have taken much for them to get there.

As for why Nintendo doesn't have any third party support... I think that during the NES and SNES days Nintendo kept pretty short leashes on their developers. And when PS came along a lot of developers jumped ship. Also Nintendos philosophy for some time has been that they're doing their thing and if someone else wants to come along they're welcome to. Something I believe they're starting to rethink at this point.

As for companies not wanting to make games for the WiiU... I guess that's unfortunate. But at the same time Nintendo is recieving some pretty strong support from both Sega and Ubisoft. So I don't think you should count them out yet. There's also rumors of GTA V being released for the WiiU, which would be interesting if it were true. Also a lot of indie developers seem pretty excited about the WiiU.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Also a lot of indie developers seem pretty excited about the WiiU.
    I've noticed both ninty and sony have been going after the indie gaming crowd, good call in my opinion indie gaming's been getting bigger and bigger now and I think it's gonna be pretty important this gen.
    It could also be a good way for the big three to get some third party exclusives quickly and without having to persuade the bigger gaming companies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demo-I agree with most of what you've said. Just not the EA stuff. They have dramatically collapsed financially and critically. They beat out Monsantos, Bane Capitol and every other evil corporation for most hated company. More of a testament to the shallow scope of a public poll than EA's bad relations.

I do think it's fair for developers to tell the public why they have lost interest in porting over. We need to know if the canary in the coal mine is dieing. I looked forward to it for the cross plats, with little improvements from the touch screen. I hope the indies work out. I'm sure anything that works on the ipad will be way better on the wii u.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerpigking View Post
    How has E.A been in anyway shape or form smart recently, most gamers hate them for ruining they're own franchises dead space for one, and they had the brilliant idea to add microtransactions and online passes to most of they're games (they've given up on online passes but only because they've replaced it with always online.)

Also by picking an uneeded fight with one of the most popular gaming companies in the world and lying about it(in they're own words "wii u is crap and less powerful then a 360" which regardless of how weak or powerful the wii u will be in the long run is already proven complete bullshit), they're probbly gonna hurt themselves more then nintendo in the long run, if they really were that pissed of with the origin deal then they should haver just stopped developing for nintendo consoles and left it at that, but they feel the need to bitch moan and insult the company, which for a major gaming company is childish and if they ever went back on they're word and wanted to start supporting the console for whatever reason then it would probbly cause a ton more awkward problems with nintendo.
    And just don't get me started on sim city or that piece of crap origin.

Sorry for the rant, I just dislike EA if you had'nt noticed XD.

edit:link to the ea tweets http://www.metroweekly.com/technocra...-engineer.html
    O for *&(*&^) I have not once..but twice written out a lengthy response, Only to have the page crash out of nowhere, I not doing it again.

Short version I think It really is just a matter of perspective, Micro transactions are in no way inherently bad as long as they are not the only option- Dead Space 3 I've heard they were handled decent. Maxis is at fault for the recent Sims stuff, I get that that is not the only reason people are upset but some of these decisions are developer based. Online passes I had no problem with, increased incentive to actually buy new and they receive some form of money for second hand which is more than fair. People hate origin.... Meh I actually have no problem with Origin I think most people hate it cause it isnt Steam, I actually like origin because it leaves me the F alone whereas I can't get steam to not pop up every 5 friekn minutes/ and steam's UI design is garbage. Always online, I've yet to actually see, Simcity 5 - that was actually a Maxis call.

The only hate I have for EA is giving criterion the keys to the NFS license, If Criterion wants to make Burnout go make burnout dont give me a "NFS Most wanted" (the original being amazing) where I can't customize, tune, and where I get points for actually destroying the other racers instead of RACING!

EA fighting with Nintendo, while it is in some ways childish; Well most ways, I can understand the sentiment though, I mean two companies that are in many ways trying to restructure during times of penny pinching, Nintendo falling for the millionth time to actually provide up to date services and take responsibility for what are the underperformance of their supposed "next Gen Console". And EA is in no way blameless, but these things are a 2 way street of cooperation and Yes EA is not playing ball but neither is Nintendo providing any reason for EA; which has cut back, to take any unnecessary risk for nintendo port. Frostbite not working on the WiiU may be a load of crap (which we may never actually know) but still why take any time at all to try to fix that with the current situation the WiiU is in right now.

Also the guy getting shitty about the WIIu from what I understand works/ or worked , I've heard he hasnt worked at EA in some time, at the EA sports division. I could care less about him having an opinion, thats what he believes right on. My guess is that if he still works at the EA sports what not, then hes prolly pissed that, he in whatever capacity will still be responsible for increasing sales but now his product is at a 2/3 handicap.. butttt idk

Also just one more thing picking an unneeded fight with nintendo, I think this will actually be good for all parties. Well could be good. My understanding of the japanese Company is that they can be absurdly thick headed, a move like this might actually be a good wake up to Nintendo and if they can succeed despite a heavy hitter like EA leaving then thats Awesome! and that just hurts EA. But lets say EA no longer has faith in Nintendo, then they have no reason to try to stick around when nintendo, who has created its own mess to fix. I like both and want both to succeed.

-Demo-
    My Blog

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    O for *&(*&^) I have not once..but twice written out a lengthy response, Only to have the page crash out of nowhere, I not doing it again.
    Completely off topic, but if you're using Chrome you can grab a plugin called Lazarus. It provides an elegant solution to this very problem.

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha thanks SmallPoly, I think its just my Internet right now though, for some reason its been garbage lately.

-Demo-
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUU had a giant reply written out myself and the damn thing took it away as well.
    Should have took your post into consideration and copied the damn thing before posting.
    i'll reply sometime later.
    was writing that out for half an hour and all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerpigking View Post
    The reason EA seems to be avoiding the wii U is because of the sourness between the two company's recently EA wanted nintendo to run theyre online on origin(which would have pretty much handed over theyre entire online to the most hated gaming company in the world) And EA's having a fit becuase nintedo declined.
    This is a rumor started by fans. The main reason is that Wii U is simply not exciting hardware and devs don't want to work on it, and publishers see no reason to make them since practically no one even bought the console.

That Killzone example is really bad, it's not even in game. PS3 games don't look as good as that example. I don't know why they released that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barker View Post
    This is a rumor started by fans. The main reason is that Wii U is simply not exciting hardware and devs don't want to work on it, and publishers see no reason to make them since practically no one even bought the console.
    May be a rumour but it's a very credible one EA was one of the strongest supporters of the wii U before launch and then suddenly pulled all support and started insulting the console,(if the guy is speaking on behalf of EA)hell some of the games were pulled before launch including the pretty much finished crysis 3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barker View Post
    That Killzone example is really bad, it's not even in game. PS3 games don't look as good as that example. I don't know why they released that.
    That's a ps3 model in the ps4 engine. Like I mentioned before it handles color and reflection really well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The main reason is that Wii U is simply not exciting hardware and devs don't want to work on it, and publishers see no reason to make them since practically no one even bought the console.
    I'd say that's quite a generalization. It might be true for EA, who've kind of overreacted to the whole thing imo. But there are several developers and game companies still interested in making games for the console. Now it's just up to Nintendo to convince the rest that they're still in the game.

Last edited by tobbA; May 20th, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to be honst if you put it into perspective with the 360 and ps3 launches the wii U has'nt really been that bad, there was'nt really a big hitter on any of them until a while later (excepting resistance but im not sure how well that sold) and the ps3 hads it rough for a long while longer then the wii U has anyway.
    At first the sales for the wii U actually beat the first month ps3 and xbox sales combined it's jsut that after that they did'nt so much as decline as jump of a cliff mainly due to the lack of games, would be fine but ninty also had the dying 3ds on they're hands alongside the wii U and this last half a year they've been focusing a hell of alot on the 3ds and have fixed it up dramatically, I think ninty's business plan was to split the year down the middle one to focus on 3ds and the second to focus on the wii U.

edit: Also I think ninty should buy out a company (probbly sega would be a good bet they seem to be in a lot of money trouble from what I know or hell maybe platinum as they've been buddying up with ninty a bit recently) and start making mature games under it. When it comes down to it not everyne likes nintendo games and having a company that could make Exclusive mature games especially one with so many ip's as Sega would cover all of ninty's bases in the long run, Sega's a bit more of a longshot as it would be hella expensive so a smaller company like platinum would be great.

Last edited by triggerpigking; May 20th, 2013 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wii U would really be a nice complement to either of the PS4 and Nextbox. I mean, both those consoles have lots of games they share anyway. Nintendo has always been playing to their own beat and frankly, I'd rather they continue doing that then becoming another me too console for multiplats.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jie Kageshinzo View Post
    Wii U would really be a nice complement to either of the PS4 and Nextbox. I mean, both those consoles have lots of games they share anyway. Nintendo has always been playing to their own beat and frankly, I'd rather they continue doing that then becoming another me too console for multiplats.
    That's what Wii was to my PS3. Good supplementary console. If it were my only console though, it would have been pretty depressing, lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanna play stuff like Pikmin or Katamari on the same console I play everything else. Sometimes I just need a palette cleanser after shooting thousands of NPCs.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    just so long as the trees on the Nurbergring arnt two flat polys at right angles ill be happy.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanna play stuff like Pikmin or Katamari on the same console I play everything else. Sometimes I just need a palette cleanser after shooting thousands of NPCs.
    Shooters are my palette cleansers after playing a bunch of interesting games.

Gran Turismo 6 will have 3D trees, I assume the next Forza will as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good. i still dont understand the score with gta5, do you buy it on ps3, or is it on ps4, or is there a better version on ps4? do you have to buy it twice?

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The xbox reveal is tomorrow. My last minute prediction is a cloud gaming service like Onlive. They could stream off a super computer render farm thing at MS headquarters. That would make sense with the "Always Online" rumor. Still doesn't change the fact that the internet is too spotty to support such a thing.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.