No Knowledge, No Help, NO CHANCE FOR SUCCESS
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: No Knowledge, No Help, NO CHANCE FOR SUCCESS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation No Knowledge, No Help, NO CHANCE FOR SUCCESS

Hey there Im Derrick and Im just going to be completely honest.

Im 19 now and I have a massive passion for animation, Concept art, illustrations,.....you get my point. But have had no proper ( as in good, helpful ADVICE) traing/knowledge on how to draw. I have had art classes in middle and highschool, Ive even taken a beginner drawing course in college last semester. But the end result was the same, a lazy teacher who was once a great artist themselves but has given up on their dreams so they just didnt care about actully teaching art more importantly drawing, so in other words I either learned nothing or what i did learn was complete....@#$%&! Sorry for that.

But that didnt stop me, and old friend of mine who is a fantastic artist but has moved away recommended this site for the advice and help i despreatly want and NEED!

So right now Im literally " living on a prayer " right now. I have a sketchbook, some pencils, all i need is help. And i tell you all know that really ready to give it my all. I know and heard that all i needis to just draw, darw, and draw, but what good is it if I dont know what, where and how to start? So please if anyone is reading this......just pay the kindness forward.....help..please!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot... the fire, DO YOU NOT SEE IT IN HIS EYES?!
    Such ambition... Derrick, are you ready to put everything you have on the line for your passion? If so, you've got a long journey ahead of you.
    Stick around here, I am confident you'll learn much.

Along with Black Spot's suggestion, you may also find http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...28178-links%29 useful.

WELL WHAT ARE YA WAITING FOR, GET DRAWING! >: O

Welcome to CA

Last edited by HarbingerofIllRepute; February 7th, 2013 at 05:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Derrick,

I was in the same position as you when I was 19 (which was a way back!). However, you have a big advantage which I didn't. Not only is the internet a goldmine of art instruction if you have plenty of your own motivation, but the number of good art materials now available is mind-boggling, so you don't need access to real-life teachers to learn

You will find a lot of people here recommending books by Andrew Loomis. Go to amazon and buy a couple - Fun with a Pencil or Creative Illustration would be a good start. They are phenomenal and if you have only previously experienced lazy art teachers who just tell you to draw what is in front of you they will change the way you look at drawing completely. If you learn better by watching than studying from books, you could get some DVDs instead. Vilppu's DVDs are good for studying anatomy and the figure, or for digital and traditional painting you can check out some of the downloadable DVDs on The Art Department's website. For animation, get Richard Williams' Animator's Survival Kit (available as both book and DVD). I can't emphasise enough what powerful tools these things are - to me they have been worth far mroe than paying tuition to art teachers who sat around drinking coffee instead of teaching. There are many more options, so do some digging to find things which best suit your direction. Follow artists you like on sites like this one and Deviantart and examine their work to see how they do what they do.

And of course stay on this site and read everything you can find .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get used to googling site:conceptart.org insertQuestionHere. This site has tons of knowledge embedded into it over the years. Go find it and you will benefit greatly.

SLAM OR BE JAMMED
    Sketchbook
    My Rival!!
    Tumblr artblog I'm part of

Draw, Antonio; draw, Antonio; draw and donít waste time.Ē -Michelangelo

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Provenzano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HarbingerofIllRepute View Post
    Black Spot... the fire, DO YOU NOT SEE IT IN HIS EYES?!
    Such ambition... Derrick, are you ready to put everything you have on the line for your passion? If so, you've got a long journey ahead of you.

I'm not sure, have I read too many Shonen comics, or not enough? I'm gonna say the latter.

You'd better be the real deal, Koku! Let's get drawing!

Last edited by Psychotime; February 7th, 2013 at 09:47 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i am new but i am learning digital painting...i know drawing but not good so i need to make it perfect..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First I want to say thank you for looking and replying. Second, I will and AM the real deal. I will make sure that what I learn here will not be for not! My determination will not die down!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KokuJR View Post
    First I want to say thank you for looking and replying. Second, I will and AM the real deal. I will make sure that what I learn here will not be for not! My determination will not die down!!!
    You can learn drawing skills anywhere. And your determination is going to be meaningless unless it makes you get up off your butt and go to the library and check out some how-to-draw books. Or unless it makes you Google 'drawing 101' or 'learn to draw'. Or unless it makes you fill your sketchbook.

You'll notice that all these things I described are actions that you have to take. You aren't going to get anywhere waiting for people to hand knowledge to you.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1