storybook- needs some final touches
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: storybook- needs some final touches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

storybook- needs some final touches

I did this piece for an up-and-coming 'ghost' compilation book, I went with a more story-book style. It's close to being finished but it seems a little flat, maybe it needs more elements or a color change but I'm really not sure.

Critique and suggestions are greatly appreciated, I really want to make this stand out
    thanks!

Name:  ghosts.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  529.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RJBritton View Post
    It's close to being finished but it seems a little flat, maybe it needs more elements or a color change but I'm really not sure.
    Logically, I donít know how well more elements or a color change would increase depth. Iíd suggest looking for places to overlap other places, and increasing the value a bit more.

For example: The neck being connected to the shoulder by a line on the blond girl, kind of flattens her out. The girl in the deepest part of the woods looks to be about the same value as the giggling girl.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..it seems a little flat...
    Not "flat" so much as "empty." All the interesting stuff in this picture has been pushed to the edges and--in the case of the skeletons--almost entirely cropped out. If it were me, I'd cut-and-paste the girl to the center of the image and show all three skeletons in their entirety, not just their heads.

Just my two cents.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    Not "flat" so much as "empty." All the interesting stuff in this picture has been pushed to the edges and--in the case of the skeletons--almost entirely cropped out. If it were me, I'd cut-and-paste the girl to the center of the image and show all three skeletons in their entirety, not just their heads.

Just my two cents.
    I agree with all of your points, but I probably wont be placing the blonde woman in the center as it is a two page spread illustration in the book that's being published.
    I'll play around with adding more within the scene and see how re-drawing/ re-positioning the skeletons fares out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Logically, I don’t know how well more elements or a color change would increase depth. I’d suggest looking for places to overlap other places, and increasing the value a bit more.

For example: The neck being connected to the shoulder by a line on the blond girl, kind of flattens her out. The girl in the deepest part of the woods looks to be about the same value as the giggling girl.
    Yes, more value would be key here. I will play around with overlap too, great suggestion. I will also try to lighten up or minimize the line-art.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd strongly suggest zooming out so that we can see the main character in full figure. Right it's hard to tell exactly what she's doing. I realize she's supposed to be running and holding her skirt up out of the way, but it would be so much clearer if we could see her legs.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, some very sloppy progress here. I've expanded the frame and showed a little bit more of the scene and changed a few things

Name:  update2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  148.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, some very sloppy progress here.
    Looks kind of half-assed to me. Free advice: I'd suggest you put this composition aside for a bit and work out the drawings of the girl and the three skeletons in separate files, so they really sell on their own. Then compose the image around them.

As always, just my two cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    Looks kind of half-assed to me. Free advice: I'd suggest you put this composition aside for a bit and work out the drawings of the girl and the three skeletons in separate files, so they really sell on their own. Then compose the image around them.

As always, just my two cents.
    Looks half-assed, well OK. I'm going to have to ask you to be more specific. Are you talking about my original post? And maybe you can explain to me why you feel it's 'half-assed'. If you're talking about my recent update, it is just a quick draw over.

But yes, I'll focus more on the woman and skeletons first and come back to the background and see if I can start with a cleaner slate.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's unclear what this illo is supposed to be showing. There's skeletons, sure, but the girl looks happy to see them. She is in cheerful colours, her mouth is ambiguous, and because her hair covers her eyes you've lost all the cues you'd get from eyes and eyebrows. Her body language is fairly neutral. The ghosts are happy. But then... y'know. Spooky trees and skeletons.

If this is supposed to be cheerful, lose the dark shadows and cute-ify the skeletons. If it isn't, darken the girl so we don't think she's insane to be frolicking in the swamp with the dead. If she's supposed to be insane, indicate that in some way.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went back and did a lot more work. Went with different colors and refined some elements. I'm sure I could push this further, but I am willing to walk away and start something fresh. Thanks for all your input and critique guys.
    Name:  tumblr_mm3ppmmVes1qe2n0uo1_.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  205.2 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.