Thread: RPG's anyone?

Thanks

RPG's anyone?

anyone here play RPG's (for the lay man: Role Playing Game)?

here's a couple i haved dabbled with in the past:

-Shadowrun

-Vampire:the masquerade

-Dungeons & Dragons (okay, okay, i tried it...)

-Silhouette

so yea, set aside the negative connotations that come with RPG's, i think these games rock. So yea... anyone else a fellow rpg'er? man, i really wanna try Marko's new game, too bad i don't speak german :help: :mumble:

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've been playing RPGs since junior high (and considering I just turned 30, that's quite a while). I've been in all sorts of groups, from the power twinkers, to the uber role players, but I've been pretty lucky to be friends with people who like to play somewhere in the middle.

Some of the games I've played over the years:

D&D (everything from Red Box basic [thanks Larry Elmore for those inspiring illustrations] to the current 3.5 edition)
    Shadowrun, every edition
    Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (sick critical charts)
    Vampire/Werewolf/Mage (from White Wolf)
    Milleniums End
    Various Palladium games (from Rifts to Robotech to TMNT to Beyond the Supernatural)
    Call of Cthuhlu (The old Chaosium version)
    Mechwarrior (yes, the roleplaying game, not the board game/collectable minis game)

...and probably a few others I can't remember offhand. I've long gotten over being "embarrassed" by being an RPGer. What's the point? And besides, on a place like CA, where fantasy and sci-fi images rule the day, I don't think you'll need to worry much about being alone.

As for Marko's game, I heard that it's going to be translated into English later this year. Might just be a rumor, but that's what I've heard.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Ah, I had so much fun with Shadowrun.
    I never gamed until recently, my roommates are old-skool gamers and recruited me. Right now they're working on a custom fantasy system sorta based on Shadowrun. Gaming is good sketching time for me, lots of inspiration :3

Thanks
    yea, always inspiring when there is a good gm/dm/storyteller :dance:

Thanks
    My RPG group celebrated last year its 20th anniversary (yes, I´m an old fart). In this time we played nearly everything on the market including our own self developed system. D&D we never liked, though. Until about the beginning of the 90`s we´ve been hardcore players but now do it more or less occasionally. I think regarding the topics in this forum there´s quite big chance that there are a few RPG players .

At the moment our most popular games are
    Warhammer (the RPG not the tabletop - even if we´re doing this, too)
    Call of Cthulhu (mostly as "Cthulhu now")
    and recently we found Degenesis as a nice addition to our sortiment.

Fipse
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    Working in an RPG company for the last year I've been playing these until my eyes bleed. Beauty of working here is I get drafted as a play tester frequently. Check out my link below, it goes to the website for Iron Golem Games.

In my humble and non biased opinion the greatest RPG that has or ever will exist. :ahha: That and I got to do the artwork for it.

www.irongolemgames.com
    (Insert stupid, pointless, and offensive signature here)
    www.wayofthegeek.com My web comic full of stupid geekiness.
    www.carterillustration.com My website filled with freelancing EVIL.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fukifino
    I've been playing RPGs since junior high (and considering I just turned 30, that's quite a while). I've been in all sorts of groups, from the power twinkers, to the uber role players, but I've been pretty lucky to be friends with people who like to play somewhere in the middle.

Some of the games I've played over the years:

D&D (everything from Red Box basic [thanks Larry Elmore for those inspiring illustrations] to the current 3.5 edition)
    Shadowrun, every edition
    Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (sick critical charts)
    Vampire/Werewolf/Mage (from White Wolf)
    Milleniums End
    Various Palladium games (from Rifts to Robotech to TMNT to Beyond the Supernatural)
    Call of Cthuhlu (The old Chaosium version)
    Mechwarrior (yes, the roleplaying game, not the board game/collectable minis game)

...and probably a few others I can't remember offhand. I've long gotten over being "embarrassed" by being an RPGer. What's the point? And besides, on a place like CA, where fantasy and sci-fi images rule the day, I don't think you'll need to worry much about being alone.

As for Marko's game, I heard that it's going to be translated into English later this year. Might just be a rumor, but that's what I've heard.
    Hey, fuk, have you ever done any sequentials for a company like Kenzer or Palladium? I am working on a Palladium project (pay is not very great but hey, it's money) for the Rifter and I was doing a little research and there is interest in more art. I am thinking a collaberation on a few stories would be nifty.

bat
    ----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    Fallout and Fallout 2.

And soon enough Fallout 3.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkarrde
    Fallout and Fallout 2.

And soon enough Fallout 3.

They are not talking about that type of RPG.

I havn't played pen and paper... although I think that if I had knew someone who had earlier I would have been very into it.

-toasty

Thanks
    I can't get past the penny-arcade.com comics and other various sites that poke fun at rpgs. "cheetos" and "CAN I HAVE A MOUNTAIN DEW??" =D Not my thing, but hey--maybe I should get a cape/mask and head over to one some time.

Thanks
    Hey bat,

While I appreciate the interest...have you actually looked at my work? I've only been an art student for about..7-8 months now. Hehe. As of yet I haven't done any work, much less for Palladium. Although I finally have a deadline on some illos for a friends RPG that he's publishing, so I guess we'll see what level I'm at now and what kind of work I can "finish."

Maybe in the future when my work is actually presentable.

-Forest
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSpruceMoose
    I can't get past the penny-arcade.com comics and other various sites that poke fun at rpgs. "cheetos" and "CAN I HAVE A MOUNTAIN DEW??" =D Not my thing, but hey--maybe I should get a cape/mask and head over to one some time.
    Haha...well, there are all types of RPG groups, and I'll admit it certainly takes a bit of not taking yourself all that seriously. But I think the vast majority of RPG groups would have a good laugh if you showed up in costume. Then they'd probably sit you down and play anyways.

*shrug* It's not for everyone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fukifino
    Hey bat,

While I appreciate the interest...have you actually looked at my work? I've only been an art student for about..7-8 months now. Hehe. As of yet I haven't done any work, much less for Palladium. Although I finally have a deadline on some illos for a friends RPG that he's publishing, so I guess we'll see what level I'm at now and what kind of work I can "finish."

Maybe in the future when my work is actually presentable.

-Forest
    Before I posted I did look at your work. Don't underestimate yourself too much there. Little projects can push you to test your skills and bolster your confidence as well.

bat

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Milpitas, California, United States, Earth
    Thanks
    I write and play Mekton Zeta, as well as running Atomic Rocket Games, where we are currently working on securing a few licenses to produce more Mekton product (we have several free products on the soon-to-be-released list), as well as a Fuzion/OGL Fantasy RPG in the works.

And of course, the Lingua Franca of RPG's, D&D and Champions...

-JEM
    So... What would you little
    maniacs like to do first?

Thanks
    I was down with the teenage mutant ninja turtles when I was a kid.

still have some of them around here somewhere I think.
    was good stuff.
    the rifts ones were cool too but i never played em.

actually I think mostly I just really browsed through the books and looked at the artwork, hehe.

Thanks
    D&D and love it. I haven't had the chance to try many others, but will get the chance soon when one of our DM's is ready with it, don't know what it will be its a "suprise". I'm interested in trying out some different games so can't wait for that

I hadn't really thought much about others having a negative view at pencil and paper rpg's, except for the fanatics who think its evil. I guess I don't get out much... that is except for our gaming nights.

All of our group is 30+ in age, and (perhaps?) due to the fact that half of us are female , we always eat well on gaming night

I think there are a lot of people that if given the chance and the right group would love it. There seems to be no social hang ups in our group, everyone gets along, and he roleplaying antics are always good to leave us with sore muscles from laughing... if we could only find more time to game!

--marie
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    I haven't played in years, but rpgs are responsible for getting me interested in doing game art as a free-lance illustrator.

Back in college I played a lot. This was all before computer games. I'd sit there and play and go back to my room and draw my characters. Then I started drawing and painting art for convention shows and for rpg fanzines, then tried submitting to Dragon (but never got in there). I did get to do some rpg interior art before switching to ccg art--which is MUCH better for me, since I prefer painting stuff and doing it in color, and most rpg books only had color on their covers. Now I get to do the odd rpg book cover, which is cool. The bad thing is: no time to actually game any more!

I've been doing to GenCon for the past decade--and it's only in order to sell art--no gaming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by April
    I haven't played in years, but rpgs are responsible for getting me interested in doing game art as a free-lance illustrator.

Back in college I played a lot. This was all before computer games. I'd sit there and play and go back to my room and draw my characters. Then I started drawing and painting art for convention shows and for rpg fanzines, then tried submitting to Dragon (but never got in there). I did get to do some rpg interior art before switching to ccg art--which is MUCH better for me, since I prefer painting stuff and doing it in color, and most rpg books only had color on their covers. Now I get to do the odd rpg book cover, which is cool. The bad thing is: no time to actually game any more!

I've been doing to GenCon for the past decade--and it's only in order to sell art--no gaming.

April:
    I hope to see you post something here sometime, I always love to see your work (I am on Illustrationnet, you are on one of my Yahoogroups and I helped out here and there on Illustrationnet when you and Teresa were starting to paint the 40k cards, advisewise). Good to see you here.

bat

Thanks
    [QUOTE]Haha...well, there are all types of RPG groups, and I'll admit it certainly takes a bit of not taking yourself all that seriously. But I think the vast majority of RPG groups would have a good laugh if you showed up in costume. Then they'd probably sit you down and play anyways.

*shrug* It's not for everyone.

very true

Thanks
    I hope to see you post something here sometime, I always love to see your work (I am on Illustrationnet, you are on one of my Yahoogroups and I helped out here and there on Illustrationnet when you and Teresa were starting to paint the 40k cards, advisewise). Good to see you here.
    Hey, bat. Good to see you here, too. This seems like a good forum.

I dunno about posting anything. I haven't really like much of the stuff I've been doing lately... I did the piece I'm using for my avatar a few months back for L5R. It came out OK... but nothing to write home about.

Thanks

Rpgs Kick Ass

There I said it. yes, I AM a huge dork.

what else did I have to say besides that?

anyhows, It was the Gold Box CRPGS for the Commadore 64 that got me into gaming and now there are shelves filled with books!

I was running a game based on the Pool of Radiance Gold Box game and had a blast doing it, then I had to move to TUCSON! DAMN YOU TUCSON! LAst RPG I played was a little PULP HEROES! Down in the Lost World Shooting Pigmies, saber tooth tigers and powering up derelict space ship form the War of the Worlds Invasion. HELL YEAH! and I think I managed to kill a few NAZIS in there too! Damn you Nazis and your Invincible Robots from HELL!

anyway, great fun, and always good to see artist that enjoy playing too. The art for these books can make or break them! SO you all are AWESOME!

anyway must go sleepy sleep-sleep

OH shit, I just realized Im such a RPG dork my name is my favorite D&D character. EESH! Gad, I need therapy!
    Darkness extends beyond ruins and forests and into the very hearts of people, Heroes and Villains alike.

Thanks
    Easy now, lets not disparage the good name of Dorks here. Sure there are those among us who actually learn Klingon, and yes they shame us all, but the majority of the people in my company's play testing group have actuall jobs, families, and gasp, people skills. We even have a doctor who plays for us. (Shocking I know)

In short there is nothing wrong with being a dork.... now if you'll excuse me my Mom is telling me to get out of the basement and get a job...Just Kidding
    (Insert stupid, pointless, and offensive signature here)
    www.wayofthegeek.com My web comic full of stupid geekiness.
    www.carterillustration.com My website filled with freelancing EVIL.

Thanks
    Viva la Dork, my friends. Viva La Dork.

We are all very well adjusted geeks.
    Astrophysics PHD
    Creative Writing PHD
    Philosophy/PoliSci PHD
    Westlaw Researcher
    Data Base Engineer
    Graphic Designers (3 of them) *ahem*
    Full Sail Skulker/Novelist

How is playing with a Dr? Is that PHD DR or Physician Dr? Isnt there a lot of debate about arterial spray and what a flesh wound really is?

Still playing OE (Rules Cyclopedia) via email and it rocks!
    Darkness extends beyond ruins and forests and into the very hearts of people, Heroes and Villains alike.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by April
    Hey, bat. Good to see you here, too. This seems like a good forum.

I dunno about posting anything. I haven't really like much of the stuff I've been doing lately... I did the piece I'm using for my avatar a few months back for L5R. It came out OK... but nothing to write home about.

You always do good work, I haven't seen anything bad from you. That Asurmen piece for the 40K ccg is absolutely amazing. I hope you feel like dazzling people with some of your stuff soon.

bat (aka Steve in some circles)

Thanks

I am a nerd too! w007 w007! Nerds unite!

Yay! I am a huge rpger. I played d&d, V:TM, and CoC (once though). I also used to play MUDs for years and years. My mudding addiction played a finger or two about getting me into art.

I play PC rpgs - to many to name, probably almost all of them at least once/know about them. Console rpgs, I play those. I am acually considering buying an xbox to be able to play Fable (I don't like xbox because of the controller. I -almost- got one for SW: KotOR but it came out on pc so I didn't have to. ). I hope Fable is awesome, I'll be sad if it isn't.

Okay, probably bored you all terribly. I am a complete gamer (play non-rpgs too) and proud. =D I used to play online campaigns too but my online gaming group broke up. I wouldn't mind finding a new group.

Fipse- Congratz on the 20 years! I only hope one day I could be in a group going that long. That is awesome.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.