Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tomb raider wips

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tomb raider wips

Hey!
    I decided to go for the tomb raider challenge @ deviantart and I really want to make a good entry. So I hope with help from you people I can the most out of this piece, and a few other ideas (got more than a month on me after all).

It's supposed to be able to work as a poster, and I've never done one before, so any opinions/suggestions on that aspect is very valuable to me as well.

As for this piece, it currently looks like shes in an abandoned city or something, might change that. I just wanted the perspective in, gotta think about the surroundings abit more.

//EDIT: LOL, poster my ass, how could I have read poster for print all this time? FML. forget the poster thing

Thanks for coming by ^^

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Alantyn; February 16th, 2013 at 05:51 AM.
    ~~My Sketchbook!~~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me it looks like shes leaning too far back and she has the potential to fall over lol... so maybe forshorten the legs and torso a tad more, try adding rim lighting on the architecture at the top of the cliff, i could easily see like wooden scaffolding or something like that, and maybe the light would hit the cliff face, enough to show that its lit but not so much so that it will draw attention away from her. Added in some vines or something to kinda lead the eye and helps with the severe perspective of the cliffs (made a complete mess of that, chose a horrible green D= )

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  49.5 KB

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vernon Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the mood. I like the way you handles the rain and the whetness. If it has to work as a poster perhaps you should make it as one of the standard poster dimensions? But then you might have to reethink your composition.

Here is a link to some info on US poster size.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/stand...ster-size.html
    And international.
    http://www.365displays.ie/Guide-to-P...-A3-A4-A5.html

Think about a good place for the text early on. A place that is not so busy and works with the composition of your image. At the bottom would be nice here.

The perspective you got looks odd. I'm not an expert so I will refrain from giving advice on how to fix it. But it looks like she is falling over.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frida Bergholtz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys ^^ So I fixed the size and added some text to the bottom, also played around with the lighting and perspective abit. I realized I had put the vanishing point a little too close to the middle making the up-view a little too extreme. I thought of adding some fisheye perspective to it to make the picture less stiff, also tilted her head for this purpose. I'm kinda loss at the perspective right now, can't tell if she's falling or not. Can't seem to find any ref either.

Maybe the back should be covering the head a little? I'd like to avoid that tho cause it kinda looks like she gets a hunchback. I want to portray her standing with a straight back, maybe bending backwards a tad with her head looking upwards. I'll try messing with the legs later ^^

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kind of liked the concept of this. Not sure why the sketch on paper looks so damn good compared to this .
    Some opinions on this would be wonderful, and crits would be super awesome ^^ Especially on the lighting, perhaps a more rainy/depressing mood would be better?

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your major issue with the forest one is the openings. You have one way right in front lara and another in the sky, they conflict a little. You should cut the image just at the top of the tree, we can imagine the sky or see it through the foliage. No need to "show" it so much, or at least, make something dark that will not lead eyes here. The sun is nice on lara like this

I think I prefer this one to the first you did, for the mood. One question : why do you draw lara from back in both ? :p

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes I know about the openings. I felt like I had to sacrifice something to add some more mood elements to it. The sun close to horizon gives a "new beginning" feel and the mountain at the back kind of could be read as a greater objective or simply to give a sense of "vastness".

I'll think about what else I can have there, maybe I'll add some leaves to block the sky abit and you can see the sky "through the leaves".

About the back thing, well, I like drawing her back lol, it gives a sense that shes going somewhere ^^ I've done other sketches with her front facing camera, which I didn't like.

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mountain can be a good objective (eh, remember me the game "Journey" with the omni-present mountain which is your character's objective !) but I didn't see it at first sight. I think you can definitly make it more appealing without sacrifying too much

Okay for the "back view", I agree with your view. It's a nice goal to do something interesting without using boobs and pretty face ^^

* My current blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i adjusted the lighting and started rendering.. I am intending the composition to go flowers->girl->tree(left)->left "mountain/cliff or what its called"->particles->squirrel->mountain. Is it working? The shiny rocks are supposed to be wet rocks cause of "dew" <- right word?

And btw how would this kind of composition work as a poster?

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so I'm uploading some close-ups, any pointers on anatomy or the foreground element appreciated!
    I am not sure how much I need to detail? Do I need to work down to every pixel or is that unneccessary? Currently have a 11k pixel ish image and photoshop says its about 40 cm broad. I sure dont want to detail too much.

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I picture Lara I think of the big muscly calves she has (not sure if its quite so dramatic with the new game though). I think you need to beef up the legs a little.

As to detail I think it would make sense to have the most detail in the foreground and less detail the deeper into the painting you go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, alright, I'll take a note of the calves.
    Planning a few more paintings. and Ya I dont know why I am still drawing her back, I'm gonna draw a few from front now..

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Still think your first idea is the strongest, has a nice narrative. Maybe slightly more dynamism on Lara as if she's walking into the scene over the camera almost. Try and separate the fore and background as they almost merge and flatten the image as it is now.

Quick 10min paint over.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your advice Rusty!
    I took a quick look on a few pages of ur sketchbook, and I must say, you are very inspirational sir. I think I even managed to grab a few painting techniques just by looking at your art.

I did some changes, according to your paint-over, added other things as well. Didn't really like the way she walks in while looking upwards, feels kinda awkward, so I didn't do that

I don't really feel like this sticks out, I mean something feels wrong or lacking, I can't get my hands on it. I guess I don't really feel like this pic has the "special something" that alot of other contestants have. Hm now when I took a quick look, maybe the composition is too direct? she's looking directly at the point of interest.. and even if you follow her legs up to her head, it's almost just a straight line.

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bleh gotta sleep, been up too long today.
    Cheated abit to give the setting a little warmth also started detailing abit.. right now I'm really unhappy about her left arm..

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    detaill...
    pretty much done I think just more detail maybe lol

Please any critique now is the last chance before I dont wanna touch this anymore

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't realize the amount of errors the image had until I flipped it... trying to rework the pose, perspective.

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just checked the entries again, and damn, the good ones are coming in ^^
    I just wanna take my art to the next level so I'm going to try break my way through the top. (note the 'try')
    I believe I can if I try hard enough

How do you guys think about the composition on this one?

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, Lara face us ! :p Nice !

Well, for me I wonder why the left top corner is empty, actualy all the left part of the image is empty, you maybe can move the deer or a bird in that place to feel it ?

* My current blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right, move the deers, but then it felt a little too narrow so I widened the canvas abit. did I overdo it?

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huum no it's fine, but I think what make the image "empty" is that it do not feel like it's a forest, it's a lot of grass and no bushes. You may use some foliage to feel some part and help lead the eyes maybe ? Here is an exemple based on the 3 part rules, hope that help ?

Name:  TB-po.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  74.7 KB

* My current blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Griffon, that definetily helped. Well, problem is the more I work on it the more I start to hate it lol, so I am doing a new one (again, probably gonna do a few more after this too). I want to say that I really appreciate your help though.

Just posting it up before detailing. Any advice on this would be nice Didn't really have a tomb raider feeling in my previous drawings. What do you guys think about the lighting, and how can I make it a bit more creepy? She looks kinda calm, bt I want to make it look like she's actually scared, but doesn't show it/admit it herself.

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a little update before I go to bed!

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can give her a less straight position if you want her to feel unsure or looks afraid... She looks determined here because everything she do or hold is strongly and firmly done. She is not "searching" something she probably already knows where she go.

Try to rotate her hand to make the torch being less handle like a spear. You can raise her arm too, when you try to look in the darkness you try at all cost to see as far as possible but your body will stay behind. That typically give the posture with head and arm pushed forward and the legs and body more on the back, ready to stop or esquive something coming from the darkness. Someone that walk freely like it was daylight is someone that already knows the surrounding, that do not fit with your vision ^^

* My current blog

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, damn, I woulda needed this before I started detailing. Not really in the mood to change her whole pose right now ._.

Since I am replying I thought I might as well upload my current version.

I lifted the arm, and rotated it abit, not sure it did much tho.

About being afraid, I don't want it to show too much, I just want a hint of it from the eye or some little body language. I decided to widen her eyes (letting more light into her eyes => better sight especially in darkness) I also opened her mouth, indicating she's taking a breath, made her sweat, not from warmth, but from nervousness. I want to make her clothes abit wet too, but man, I don't know how to paint that lol. Was just about to start drawing some archeology stuff on the background. What do u think about the lighting, is it too dark?

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahah sorry, I came too late yesterday, sorry ^^

Huum if you don't want to make big changes, you can make her look at something on the side to reinforce the "afraid but not too much".

The mouth do not feel really openned, honestly if you didn't mention it I would have not see it ^^ Maybe open it a little more and make the tooth shine a little ?

I think you can work the lighting a little more, the face should not be that in the shadow : the torch is right in front of her. You can make the bow less lighted too, it's not the crucial element here, we just need to see it's present, plus I think wood or leather isn't as reflective as skin is

* My current blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, no, you should not be blamed for anything, I should be thankful cause you're the only one that's helping me out
    About the lighting yaa, and when u said holding the flame in front of her I thought damn, who the hell would hold a flame right in front of her face? Wanna blind urself or what?
    So I changed the way she holds it, and moved it to the side, YES no need to change lighting on the face!

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe smart move ^^

It's better on this one, the torch do not steal the attention and Lara is definitly the main subject. I just want to point her wrist look a little strange, the limit between the begining and the hand and the arm isn't clear enough...
    Maybe you can light a little more the waist too, make some metal part of the belt shine a little. No need to detail or something but that will give some more indication about her posture. It's not too late for that and that can help you create some feminine curve or emphasis the "survivor" (she can have a rabbit or a bird at her belt, ready to be cooked !)

* My current blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, about the rabbit, maybe :p
    well gonna do some blood/texture the thing around her body tomorrow.

here's how it looks right now
    http://alantyn.deviantart.com/art/La...t&ga_changes=1
    If you want to check the full image just download it :p can't upload big images here.

Damn, seeing the recent entries made me lose confidence, well not like I had any chance before either but now I am unsure I will even get to the 25 first places..
    Atleast I learned alot from this piece, or rather, all the pieces I've done for the contest.

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Humm the wrist still don't work, sorry, I liked more the old hand you did with the wood from the torch visible... The belt is very nice and I think you have a good mood, but I think her arm (the one on the left) is a little too "big" that do not really fit a young lady. If you can make a little correction here that would help.
    Oh and sorry, I just tried to put my hand like the one holding the gun, I think her arm is too long, The finger should be at the shoulder heigth... Hope a simple cut can solve that ?

Looking at your process, I think you should slow down when you are at early stage, keep some time to fix any anatomic or composition issue before rendering. You have a really good stroke and a nice understanding of the digital paint, but going strait to the final stage will always confuse you and make you rework a lot your pieces Take some time to let your own brain rest, eh !

* My current blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.