Art: The best school to study 3d animation
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The best school to study 3d animation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The best school to study 3d animation

So yes, I want to know which one are the best 3D animation schools in the world! Is there any better school than the GNOMON SCHOOL OF VISUAL EFFECTS in Hollywood? I'd be very thankful if someone knows the answer!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Some advice from a dinosaur

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Demirci View Post
    So yes, I want to know which one are the best 3D animation schools in the world! Is there any better school than the GNOMON SCHOOL OF VISUAL EFFECTS in Hollywood? I'd be very thankful if someone knows the answer!!
    This a good question, first, you need to know that there really isn't an easy answer for this. It really comes down to your skills and how much you are willing to work. It is a fact that a good school cannot teach you all that you need to know in order to be ready for the 3d animation field. Nor do they claim that they can. What they will provide are the beginning steps to furthering your skills. And getting to know the softwares you will likely be using. Also they can help to give you in roads or contacts in your industry of choice to get that first job. Having instructed students in the past, they come in all types and skill levels, some just waste their time and money by going to a school, others excel because they are driven to begin with, then there are those who just have that magic talent and can do practically anything. I would talk to the schools that you are courting first and discuss with them your goals, and what you want to accomplish. Then once you have gathered enough information you can make an informed decision. You might even look at some online training as well.
    Second how much are you willing to pay. If price isn't an issue then Gnomon isn't a bad place to learn from. I never went to Gnomon, but have seen some great students come out of there. Sheridan is also a great school as well, didn't go there either. I think the best way for you to decide is to find out the price of education and then determine what field you are wanting to go into.
    3d Animation is a broad spectrum, and can mean almost anything today. If you are wanting to get into Games, or the Movie industry, choose a school with good placement percentage. Meaning the most important thing you will gain from going to a school is, hopefully, great contacts with other people.
    now I have been in the video games industry for 15 years, so my perspective is from that industry alone. I cannot speculate upon the movie industry or any others for that matter. I went to a university, and honestly I could have learned what I needed to learn about the industry by just doing online tutorials if I was trying to get in today. But they didn't have those in abundance back then. If I had to do it all over again I would save my money and learn from sites like this one and many others. Then build contacts through online sources.
    I hope this helps somewhat, I wish you luck on the adventure, it has been a rough time over the past few years in the industry, I have watched many friends lose their jobs, but I still love it and hope to continue doing this into the future.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hyde For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very very much for this useful post. It really helped me, i've never expected that online courses could be so helpful. I knew that you could learn very much with tutorials but I thought you'd learn faster in a good school, because they show you what you should learn. If you learn with tutorials, it could be that you lose important experiences or you forget to learn some basics and nobody informs you about that. I'd like to work in the film industry one day, it's cool to see that you like your job! :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm gonna say Ringling College of Art and Design. Its where I went to school and its what I was told by countless people when I was researching school/animation. Even now I still here it every once and a while about how great Ringling is from animation people. At least its the best if you want character aniamtion pixar/disney/dreamworks/blue sky type stuff. Maybe its partly pride, and I will say its a little hard for me to totally judge since I haven't gone to any other school. As for learning visual effects like explosions and transformers and stuff like that its not so great. They dont really teach that stuff.

Maybe thats changed in the couple years since I graduated, what I do know for sure is that the price of the school has gone up. Waaaay up...as if it wasn't expensive enough already. But if you can afford it I highly recommend going. It's definitely not easy, you will suffer mentally and possibly physically. But in some sadistic way its still fun and worth it...sorta.

Members who have read this thread: 13