a few finished projects from my portfolio (feel free to comment or suggest anything)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a few finished projects from my portfolio (feel free to comment or suggest anything)

character design.
    Name:  desert.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  339.1 KB

steampunk car design, final rendering but in the process of making into a 3d model.
    Name:  car1.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  291.4 KB

A gun prop design for a first person shooter game.
    Name:  propgun.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  117.1 KB

an old rundown house design, the final 3d model is on my portfolio site
    Name:  house.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  145.2 KB

my online portfolio... so far
    http://www.behance.net/OrionOkeefe

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw it from imagination, then go and do reference studies, then draw a final. These all look like the first pass, and all of them are easy to find ref for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the reply but i'm not really sure what you mean, I had about a dozen reference pictures for each of these and the house is based off an actual abandon house here where I live.
    besides they were concept design proposals, not illustrations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    three days and 187 views and no comments,suggestions,feedback in a w.i.p forum?
    I'm just asking for some feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They all have an 'unfinished' look about them. Your painting strokes & blending don't seem final, certain or confident, hope that makes sense (it looks like you use low opacity too much, which gives a kind of ruddy unfinished look). The anatomy, blending & proportions on the dweller needs work, for example, his hands are tiny. The car design isn't too bad, but doesn't seem like you've used any perspective lines thus the perspective is off. The handle on the gun shouldn't be that vertical, it needs to be at a slight slant. It would be very difficult to hold a gun like that with it being so straight especially seeing as how it seems so heavy and desert eagle like.
    I don't think the bayonet is needed, handguns are great for close quarters, I don't see why you'd need a blade attached, on a long rifle obviously, it's difficult to shoot when the enemy is close up. I also can't see any safety on the gun.

See the slant? Helps you wrap your fingers around it better and it simply fits into the hand better.

The house looks fine, but yet again, looks very unfinished. Since you're turning it into a 3d model too, you need all the fine details in the painting and you need them to be clear. For example, what if you weren't the 3d modeller, I don't think the modeller would be able to read and see what the window frames look like properly to model it. You can't just annotate it, expecting that to substitute actually painting it, which looking at the other paintings seem to suffer from the same problem.

Hmm, hope this helps in some way, sorry no one has replied to this thread, same happened to me.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by orion5175 View Post
    three days and 187 views and no comments,suggestions,feedback in a w.i.p forum?
    I'm just asking for some feedback.
    Unfortunately, lack of response is a kind of feedback.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Unfortunately, lack of response is a kind of feedback.
    Yes I totally agree, it is the most constructive kind of feedback one can receive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aceoko For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first guy - his neck is broken and he has withered arms.

The car - learn perspective.

Gun - see Aceoko's post.

The building isn't finished; looks pale and washed out with non relevant details pointed out. Paint them. Picture paints a 1000 words etc.

You're learning, we get that. Practice more, do them again from scratch. Keep going.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was the type of feedback I was looking for, Blunt and to the point and info that I can use.
    at least now I have a direction and a couple of things to focus on more.
    Aceoko
    Elwell
    Black Spot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As for how to learn those things, here are some book recommendations:

Anatomy: There are loads of anatomy books, but Figure Drawing For All It's Worth is a good all-rounder for figures in general.

Perspective: Perspective! For Comic Book Artists. Most fun and best-explained book on perspective I've read so far.

Gun: Learning perspective, having a better idea of how guns work, plus using references more faithfully and avoiding making stuff up should help you on this one.

Building: Come on man, if there's bits of the white canvas showing through you know that's far from finished. Try referencing houses too. Draw a couple faithfully (reference studies) before you try to make it up.

Also, the way you render metal balls isn't super precise. Learn about how specular highlights work to get a better understanding of rendering complicated stuff like that. I can't think of a tutorial to link to off-hand that covers metal (I think Color and Light covers it -- really awesome book in its own right), so if I were you I'd copy photos of metal and google about how light interacts with it (which it does in this weird, highly reflective but coloured way).

You might like this tutorial, too.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Also, everything you paint, skin, cloth, metal, wood, stone, plaster, has the exact same texture. Even when you think it doesn't.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 1