A Little Help
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A Little Help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Little Help

Any kinda help with this image would be appreciated. Looking at it, i feel like theres something wrong but i cant really pin it down.

Name:  Ninjas.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  269.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your depth does not really communicate. How far back is that girl from the man? It looks different looking at the background than from looking at your characters. Also, I have no idea what is happening with that head in the middle. I don't know if it's supposed to be decapitated or what. If so, it should probably lie at an angle and have some blood, no? Also, it looks far too large for how far back it appears.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm okay thanks maybe ill try extending the grass a bit more in certain areas to lead the eye to the girl which could help with the distance things. Errrmm the head thing hes meant to be a little person like the size of a really small child lol Ill try bringing him out from the snow a bit more, cause i can see the confusion thanks a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello man, you have a curious work here...

I have three questions:

1-If the girl is chained by the legs, why the guy is using a type of sword to hit her? Does he really want to kill her?
    2-It seems to me that she has some blood at the legs, in the point it reaches the ground. Thus, I think she is chained and her legs are cut... Am I right?
    3-At the background is a head looking to them.... due to the red track, I think she is dead. If I am right, her eyes should be completely white.

I hope it help you...

best regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pauloricardo View Post
    Hello man, you have a curious work here...

I have three questions:

1-If the girl is chained by the legs, why the guy is using a type of sword to hit her? Does he really want to kill her?
    2-It seems to me that she has some blood at the legs, in the point it reaches the ground. Thus, I think she is chained and her legs are cut... Am I right?
    3-At the background is a head looking to them.... due to the red track, I think she is dead. If I am right, her eyes should be completely white.

I hope it help you...

best regards
    Shes training, chained and blindfolded so she cant move or see. The guy has a bell on his sword for that reason..not sure how to draw more attention to that though.
    No sure what you are referring to when you say blood on her leg, she has red boots on if thats what you were looking at lol Theres not meant to be any blood in this image at all. The trail is from the elongated flag, i guess ill cut that down cause its rather misleading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay considering theres common misconception for that head next to the flag ive raised him out the snow so its more evident that hes an actual person...plus hes alive and kickings lol Ive also painted in streaks of grass to help with the depth perception. Made a slight adjustment to the blindfold to the girl too, i dont think it was as clear it was there in the first place. but still want the hair to kinda overlap it

Name:  Ninjas v2.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  271.1 KB

Last edited by Vernon Lee; February 3rd, 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, right now the head/guy really isn't adding anything to the picture besides confusion. Why does he have such a massive head and a tiny little body and no legs? IMO you would be much better off just removing him from the pic all together.

To be honest the being chained down/training part really doesn't read well either. Its hard to tell what the heck is going on all together. I think it would read better if there were no chains or big head guy and the girl and guy were just squaring off for some epic final battle or something. That said, if that were the case then it would completely change your idea.

I'm not sure how you can make it look like a training scene, but it does not look like one right now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cfhd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit lmao, good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw your characters feet... That will help a lot to understand the perspective and position... The snow here do not look like a solid ground, it feel like a kind of mist and it's hard to understand...

The background is empty too, we have really no information about perspective : they are in mountains but the place where they are expend until becoming the mountains behind without transition ? Where is the end of this place ? Why are they here, a place where everybody can look at their secret training ? Shouldn't ninja hide in more closed space for that ?

Here something that can help you to understand : http://irulan18.files.wordpress.com/...-bill-snow.jpg In this image, you know, without looking at the full movie, where they are, what's happening... You really need to define more things in your picture. If you want Akali to be chained, draw the attachs in the floor, accentuate the restriction to show how immobile she have to be. If you want Shen to appear like a trainer, maybe give him another posture, less agressive and use light or rubbons to show more the bell...
    And for Kennen, take a look to guild wars 2 asura or real child proportion, actually he is more a scary puppet than a yorddle... Your realistic drawing wil make him difficult to justify...

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That disembodied giant head in the background is skeevy.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    too much leventep style speed painting, and not enough thumbnailing or 3d forms. think about what you want us to look at and make them big and in the focal point of the image. i never even saw the bell on his sword. the little Shredder's head thing is bizarre. there are 1.6 shitzillion art images of people fighting or about to fight with swords, its th emost played out trope ever, but it does mean there are some very good works out there; find the best ones and study their structure.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; February 4th, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k maybe something like this

Name:  dfsdf.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  82.3 KB

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; February 4th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for being so patient with me, ive tried to consider a lot of things that were said. Ive made it a forest/ rocky environment in the hope that the trees help with the depth perception. Ive also made them more level with each other and brought them out the snow by adding feet. The chains and bell are hopefully more predomiant with the the latter coming across the arm rather than dangling in darkness. Sorry its still a little on the rough side but as a thumbnail it looks a lot better too, so thats a good sign. Is this a better direction you lot were trying to steer me in? Do things still need moving or adjusting?

Name:  Ninjas v2.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  198.4 KB

Last edited by Vernon Lee; February 4th, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry but i already said your copying leventep too closely, putting them in a snowy forest is making it even more similar.. either do a direct study and label it, or do your own. copying right down to her feet disappearing in the snow is teaching you little useful and a lot of bad habit.

Name:  dfdf.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  351.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You probably should have noted that these are characters from League of Legends and that it is for the current contest they are having. This would resolve some questions that are probably floating around.

Also, Kennen should have little ears coming out of the top of his head. He is a yordle after all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apologises i have left out a lot, cause i didnt think it was necessary to label everything. But this is for the LoL contest to include atleast one item and one champion, training for the next season. As well as Levente i looked at Oleg Saakyan http://graphitehead.com/wp-content/u...e_guardian.jpg for the background, mountains and that minimal value shift and Marcus Ranum stocks for Shen (guy on the right) http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/...4077?offset=72

I think i got too focused on just punching out the final outcome, i forgot to still see this as a learning exercise. On reflection i should just work harder to find better references instead of looking so closely at the pose/ grass, cause working from a speed paint is pretty dumb considering they take shortcuts based on years of experience. Although in Levente's image the background is very undefined, so im not sure how adding a forest like http://static3.depositphotos.com/100...horizontal.jpg would make it look even more similar... if anything the thumbnail is moving further away from it, maybe im wrong but its still subjective nonetheless. Guess i was trying those two elements to see if it would add anything, the foreground grass doesnt really remain coherent in the image hence i took that out in the latest iteration. As for the pose i reckon it adheres very much to the champions aesthetics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huuum I'm not sure they have forest with this kind of trees in "asia" ? Even if they are fantasy characters, I often see bamboo forest as a place of choice for that kind of fight... I may be totally wrong as I don't know a lot of things about geographics in this part of the world :/

* My current blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffonnage View Post
    Huuum I'm not sure they have forest with this kind of trees in "asia" ? Even if they are fantasy characters, I often see bamboo forest as a place of choice for that kind of fight... I may be totally wrong as I don't know a lot of things about geographics in this part of the world :/
    You are actually wrong about that Griffonage. Temperate forests are common in east asia. I think that bamboo forests are used so often because it's so iconic for the region. A fast and easy way to make the setting and the mood stronger.

If you are interested BBC made quite an astonishing nature documentary about China called Wild China. It has some of the most spectacular and scenic landscapes I have ever seen.

Last edited by Frida Bergholtz; February 5th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Frida Bergholtz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffonnage View Post
    It is also a fantasy world, there is no "Asia"

I really like the idea, I hope you can finish it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are actually wrong about that Griffonage. Temperate forests are common in east asia. I think that bamboo forests are used so often because it's so iconic for the region. A fast and easy way to make the setting and the mood stronger.

If you are interested BBC made quite an astonishing nature documentary about China called Wild China. It has some of the most spectacular and scenic landscapes I have ever seen.
    That's very interesting, thanks, I loooove documentaries ! I will take a look, that's really a part of the world I don't know.

It is also a fantasy world, there is no "Asia"
    I know, I play it (I'm not part of the contest no worries I'm not trying to do a sabotage ), but if you put all the ninja-like characters of the game together in a "martial art" situation, you create yourself a mood that can enforce or not the image.

Just try to put that scene on a pirate ship and you create something different. Obviously they are not in the tortured forest either, that's why I was thinking about something more typical from "asia" to remind their "home" and push the traditionnal martial art part showed in the picture for a better understanding. Bamboo are stereotype I agree as already said I don't know a lot of things about asia.

Currently there is nothing in the landscape that remind "league of legend", their are not using their spell of something typicall from the game, landscape is suggested and there is no typical "action" (tower destruction, blue/red buff fighting, jungling...).
    That's not a problem of course but currently the image rely only on the characters (well made but in a style and clothes a little differents from the game) to help recognize the scene and storytelling. I play league of legend and it took me a moment before being sure it was shen and akali, at first I just didn't recognize kennen... When you identify them it's okay, but it's not instant, that's what I feel "sad"

I admit I don't remember well all the lore, but that could be interesting to dig in the text description from the world they came from and see about something that can make a link. Here they are in a training place specially dedicated for them, that's what I would try to push to help a global understanding of the whole picture no matter the way, if temperated forest can do the deal, let's go.

Well of course that's just my though feel free to disagree !

Last edited by Griffonnage; February 5th, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
    * My current blog

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1