Online classes at Gnomon and/or CGMW
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Online classes at Gnomon and/or CGMW

I've been accepted into the 4 year college of my choice, and in August my freshman year begins.

Recently I was thinking about attending some online classes during the upcoming summer semester to better prepare myself for school when it does start up (August).

What I am mostly looking to study are Photoshop fundamentals leading into photoshop as a digital art medium, and perhaps a bit of introductory 3ds max or maya, as I will be studying Game art and Design.

I found that both Gnomon and CGMW provide classes from March until June In areas of particular interest for me. So the time frames add up quite nicely for me.

My Question:
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about either school?

Do their online programs stack up well against other educational institutes?

Are there any other schools I may want to look into?

If I only take a couple of classes, will it provide any form of certificate or anything like that; will I be able to put it's education on my (eventual) resume?

I have just recently found out about these schools (I know, I'm slow on the uptake), but taking some summer classes from them seems like it can only help- and as neither seems too expensive (in comparison to most art education) and the times line up with what confines I'm working around, they seem like good choices. But am I looking at this all wrong?

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I actually have taken some classes at CGMA, they were pretty awesome! I haven't taken any at gnomon online yet, but I did look at them.
    Last I checked, the classes were a lot more $! Personally I'd rather take 2 classes for a little more than the price of one.
    So Far I've taken Dynamic sketching, and Environment sketching, but I want to take digital painting next time. Maybe we can be in the same class?

I know I really liked the classes, and since all of their classes are taught by people teaching at other places like Art Center, I'm sure the education is the same, just for a lot cheaper! You do get a certificate for the class if you do complete the class, and I don't see why you can't put that on a resume. Which class were you interested in? If you haven't taken a class like Peter Han's before, you should! Such an amazing experience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by EDesign View Post
    Hey! I actually have taken some classes at CGMA, they were pretty awesome! I haven't taken any at gnomon online yet, but I did look at them.
    Last I checked, the classes were a lot more $! Personally I'd rather take 2 classes for a little more than the price of one.
    So Far I've taken Dynamic sketching, and Environment sketching, but I want to take digital painting next time. Maybe we can be in the same class?

I know I really liked the classes, and since all of their classes are taught by people teaching at other places like Art Center, I'm sure the education is the same, just for a lot cheaper! You do get a certificate for the class if you do complete the class, and I don't see why you can't put that on a resume. Which class were you interested in? If you haven't taken a class like Peter Han's before, you should! Such an amazing experience.
    After looking it up a bit more, I am leaning towards CGMW, though I may get the Gnomon DVDs when I get the chance.

I was actually thinking of looking into taking Digital painting, because, as I said that was my main concern, so maybe I will see you there EDesign!

i'm thinking if I do go to CGMW that I'll take three, classes, but I am a bit on the fence as to what those will be.

As I said
    Digital painting is definitely a class I want to take,

the other ones I'm looking at are the
    Dynamic sketching series,

Fundamentals of character design

the environment design series

and
    analytical Figure drawing.

eventually I'd like to take Principles of Design Process, but that one does look fairly advanced.

One of my considerations with the dynamic sketching, is that the pre rec class for dynamic sketching 1 (Perspective for Entertainment Design) I don't see any information for, and having taken many 101 art classes, the description of the class's purpose seems a bit... fundamental.

"This class is designed to develop your foundations in basic drawing skills. You will learn how to break down objects to their most simplistic forms by going through drawing exercises, and developing them on paper. Using pen and toned paper, you will learn to build confidence in your line work."

This is not to say I cannot learn in this class- but I wonder would I not benefit more if I could somehow take dynamic sketching 2? The information video the website provides for the dynamic sketching 2 class, seems to show the instructor goes over a good deal of the information from dynamic sketching 1 anyway.

As I've never really been fond of environments, I do think That I should do some focused study in that area, so I do have a heavy leaning on the environment design and those types of classes.

I guess I'm worried, that I will be studying a lot of this once I'm in Ringling, so it may be a bit redundant to take these classes, as though the professors will be different, I will be studying a lot of the same information in a class in a few months.

By any chance, does anyone know, what skill level most students are before taking classes at CGMW? the gallery of student works seem quite impressive, and I was wondering are a lot of these students good going in, or did a lot of the skills they are displaying as an end result of their classes, come from said classes?

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took James paick's environment design 2 class before, but have also taken Peter han's dynamic sketching class in person. It's the same class, just online. From my experience he teaches it in a very specific fashion (the art center way basically), so even though you might know the information, it's helpful to see the way he draws. But you are right it is quite basic.

As for the quality of students, well I've only taken the one class, but the students who were good were already good to begin with. There was some improvement of course in the weaker students, but I'd say that most of the exemplary student works they show come from people who already have a decent level of skill going in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! That would be awesome to be in the same class with you! Well I skipped the perspective class, since I was pretty confident with my perspective skills, so I think you are ok to take the Dynamic Sketching class if you feel the same as well.
    Peter actually told us in class that Dynamic Sketching 1 and 2 are not actually separate classes, but the same class just part 1 and part 2. He advised the class not to go to 2 until they complete 1, since its a continuation. I'm assuming the class is longer at Art Center probably.
    Be prepared for a lot of work! 3 classes at once might be a lot to handle! I used to take so many units back at college for one semester, but i would always drain myself trying to finish it all. It might be best to take 2, and just put a lot of time into them. Then enter the 3rd with more skill!

There were a lot of people in the class who were REALLY good, and others who were ok as well, so I guess the level varies. Like Medelo said, there are a lot of pro's who take those classes too, so its hard to say. I remember taking classes at Red Engine, and we even had instructors in our class! Crazy.

I have watched a few gnomon dvd's, but I find I learn a lot more when taking the class. Getting feedback from the instructors is priceless. You really improve.

You should check this out if you havn’t yet!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._UygAhLs3jSOU_

Gives you a sneak peak at all the classes. This was really nice to see!
    Hope it helps you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! That would be awesome to be in the same class with you! Well I skipped the perspective class, since I was pretty confident with my perspective skills, so I think you are ok to take the Dynamic Sketching class if you feel the same as well.
    Peter actually told us in class that Dynamic Sketching 1 and 2 are not actually separate classes, but the same class just part 1 and part 2. He advised the class not to go to 2 until they complete 1, since its a continuation. I'm assuming the class is longer at Art Center probably.
    Be prepared for a lot of work! 3 classes at once might be a lot to handle! I used to take so many units back at college for one semester, but i would always drain myself trying to finish it all. It might be best to take 2, and just put a lot of time into them. Then enter the 3rd with more skill!

There were a lot of people in the class who were REALLY good, and others who were ok as well, so I guess the level varies. Like Medelo said, there are a lot of pro's who take those classes too, so its hard to say. I remember taking classes at Red Engine, and we even had instructors in our class! Crazy.

I have watched a few gnomon dvd's, but I find I learn a lot more when taking the class. Getting feedback from the instructors is priceless. You really improve.

You should check this out if you havn’t yet!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._UygAhLs3jSOU_

Gives you a sneak peak at all the classes. This was really nice to see!
    Hope it helps you.

Members who have read this thread: 7