Focused Studys vs. Overall Studys
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Focused Studys vs. Overall Studys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Focused Studys vs. Overall Studys

Hey guys! I would like to hear whether you think the better way to study is to focus your efforts on one subject matter for a few weeks/months or to have a wider spread field of subjects you study? Could it be that the new gained knowledge about one subject matter will have such a significantly positiv effect on another subject matter that it could make more sense to study multiple subjects at once rather than focused practice of one subject only? Right now I am for example just practicing figure drawings from mind all day long in order to gain understandment of the form in space and to get a good basis to build more complex anatomy on top. I was wondering if thats the best way. Of course everybody has their own preferences. Im looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just treat everything you draw or paint as a study. You can find something you could practice on in any piece of work. Everything can be made into a valuable exercise. And you would be solving real problems, not something contrived.

( Diversity would not only save you from neglecting everything else while you focus on one thing, diversity helps you to not get bored. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely agree with you that everything you draw or paint can be a valuable exercise and that youŽll gain more and more knowledge with every pice of work you produce. I think I should have also mentioned that my viewpoint is the one from a student that is lacking a lot of fundamental knowledge. I guess if you got already some core skills youŽd do well to draw/paint kind of random stuff to get out of your confort zones but how is it about if you dont have this basis yet? If all decent work you produce is based on observation and not really understandment. My method right now would be for example first to take time (like some weeks/months) to focus heavily on the human form and then later when you can draw a decent human beeing in the gesture that you like to jump to fundamentals of drawing landscapes. After that getting maybe more into values, colour, painting and so on. Would it be in your opinion better to deal with everything you dont know at the same time or to focus and to go from one subject-matter to the other? This is of course relating to the studys you do at home and not sketching when your outside. There IŽd basically sketch everything IŽm interested in

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd stick a load of still lives in there as well. 1 - they don't move like a figure and 2 - you develop a sense of form, value etc. Start simple.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.