Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Graphic design and Animation

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Graphic design is one career, and animation is a completely different career. They're not really related. Are you sure you don't mean "concept art" when you say "graphic design"? Because concept art and animation are sort of related.

Alternately, are you sure you don't mean "motion graphics" when you say "animation"? Because graphic design and motion graphics are also related.

I'm probably confusing you. Brief descriptions of each:

Graphic design is the creation of logos, websites, ads, print marketing, etc. It's relatively easy to learn, and there is very high demand for it. There's some competition for jobs, but there are so many available, if you're halfway decent you shouldn't have trouble getting a job and keeping it. Lots of people work freelance, but there are tons and tons of graphic design firms in every part of world, each employing a handful of designers in full-time jobs. Bigger companies also have what are called in-house design teams, which produce design work exclusively for that company's products/services.

Motion graphics is basically graphic design in motion: animated text and effects for TV ads, broadcasts, movies. Also involves editing video, I think. Harder to learn than graphic design, and probably a little less demand, but probably a stable career, and not that hard to find work. But I don't know a lot about motion, personally.

Concept art is the generation of ideas for characters, environments, vehicles, etc, for movies, TV, cartoons, video games. It takes great drawing skill and speed, which take years of intense practice to build. It's the discipline this very forum you're on is dedicated to. It's a very, very competitive space, and income is far from guaranteed. Most concept artists are freelancers, I think.

Animation refers to 2D or 3D cartoons, or 3D special effects for TV, films, etc. It takes a long time to learn, and the work can be hard, depending on the exact direction you go into. The space is pretty competitive, although it's probably a little easier to make money at it than doing pure concept art.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 1