Certificates or Degree?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Certificates or Degree?

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Certificates or Degree?

I was looking at art schools in the L.A. area. And 2 schools stuck out for me; Gnomon and Pasadena Center of the Arts. I was leaning towards Gnomon until I found out that they only offer certificates now is a degree all that important if I want to become a concept artist? Also if any one has any advice on what school to pick then I would love to hear your 2 bits.

"The goal in life is not to live forever, but to create something that will"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I understand (which may not be all that well) most places are more concerned with your abilities and not with your certificates and degrees. If you have the paper, I can't see it hurting, but from what I understand a studio wants to see work ethic and artistic skills. so I f you can get those without going to a four year college, maybe that is the best route.

I'm thinking about taking some online classes from Gnomon before going to Ringling for Game art and design. If the certificates I may get count for anything, I figure all they can do is help in the long run.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well to be honest, does a degree really matter in art? So far all the professionals I spoke with said they have never once been asked for their degree... Just an amazing portfolio!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the art world all that matters is what you do. People hire artist because they have a good portfolio not a good degree. To become a concept artist you need to work your ass off anywhere you go. It's one of those professions that are really hard to get into and stay into so before going to school with that idea be prepared to put everything into drawing. Anyways I would personally pick Pasadena Center of the Arts. I have heard good things about the illustration program there. Gnomon is not bad but I think it's better to go a 4 year college since you'll basically learn more. You can still check from time to time Gnomon's online classes. Anywhere you choose is fine as long as you are prepared to give it your all and you might just make it.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborlyodin View Post
    now is a degree all that important if I want to become a concept artist?
    No.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    No.
    Tristan, Did you not go to schools of the arts and do you not have a degree or two and do you not also intruct at a physical campus in New York?

Tristan, Did you not go to schools of the arts and do you not have a degree or two and do you not also intruct at a physical campus in New York?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The degree is not the important thing. The skills you learn by way of getting the degree are far more important. If the two can coincide, great. If not, I'd always say the skills are the first priority.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticX View Post
    Yes, I have a BFA, I have taught at the university level for almost twenty years, and I can unequivocally say, with a few specific exceptions (getting a job in a foreign country, for example), that a degree is not that important if you want to become a concept artist, or most other kinds of professional artist, for that matter. A degree isn't a bad thing, getting one can be a very, very good thing, but is it necessary? Absolutely not.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Degrees or certificates don't matter. They really don't. 4/5 times they look at your visual ability not your filing cabinet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it is fair to say that people who need concept artists will put more stock in your ability as a skillful artist than a diploma. There is a level in truth in that.

However, before people rush down that route, I think they should consider a broader question: are you going to be a concept artist for life? For the next year? For the next ten? Just for starters, think of all the changes in the LAST 10 years? Facebook, social media, 3D Animation, the huge surge in video games and game design, etc., etc., etc. What about the next forty? Because of technology, globalization and everything else that is going on in this world, there will massive change. There will be highly profitable careers that exist 10 years from now that people can't even imagine right now. Will they require a degree? Will they require you to be analytical? Will they require you to communicate and write well? Will they require you to do research? What if you move up in an organization beyond Concept Artist? Art Director? Creative Director? Vice President? Your life changes. You may have kids. You may find new things you love in life, new passions, new challenges, and new directions. Will only study in the technical art skills of the moment be enough?

While the production companies of today may only require art skills, life may require an education.

Last edited by Michael@Lyme; February 17th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael@Lyme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, where do you get concepts from? What inspires you? History? Literature? Science? Poetry? Politics? Psychology? College might serve you well in your endeavor to find concepts.

Members who have read this thread: 1