Brush lag in CS6
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Brush lag in CS6

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brush lag in CS6

I've been trying to fix this issue for ages now, the brush in cs6 is laggy and lags behind my cursor when I try to paint. This happened on my old pc, and also on my new one that I just built. Also when I move the canvas around in full screen mode there's tons of screen tearing, it basically looks like photoshop is running at 10fps or something. cs5 is fine, anyone know what might be causing this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What graphics card do you have and do you have OpenGL enabled in the performance tab?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ati 7950 and yes. I've also used my old ati 4890 which had the exact same issue :/

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been noticing brush lags/stalling with CS6

I have an i7 with 32gb of RAM - though I'm using a Quadro card...this shouldn't be an issue.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jonafunart View Post
    I've been trying to fix this issue for ages now, the brush in cs6 is laggy and lags behind my cursor when I try to paint. This happened on my old pc, and also on my new one that I just built. Also when I move the canvas around in full screen mode there's tons of screen tearing, it basically looks like photoshop is running at 10fps or something. cs5 is fine, anyone know what might be causing this?
    what resolution are you running CS6 with?
    I noticed that my previously smoothly running photoshop started lagging like mad after plugging a 27" screen in.
    Going to opengl preferences and setting opengl usage to basic or normal off advanced helped in my case

also make sure your videocard drivers are up to date

Last edited by ikken; February 5th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
    on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Preferences/Performance/-uncheck "Use Graphics Processor"
    This increased performance exponentially for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just started having this problem today. I'm in CS6, working on a file I was using yesterday with no problems; now, any brush I use lags severely and Photoshop itself is slow. I have 16GB of ram, with CS6 getting the lion's share, no other programs running, no virus software in the background. I updated drivers for graphics card, monitor, wacom tablet and still the problem persists. I even tried a trial of Sketchbook and that runs fine.

Intel Core 17 2700k 3.5GHz
    16GB ram
    Windows 7 64bit
    AMD Radeon 6900 2GB

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Did you reset the workspace to see if there's any residual issues that may cause the lag?

Windows - CTRL-SHIFT-ALT immediately after you double-click the PS icon.

Macintosh - CMD-SHIFT-OPTION immediately after you double-click the PS icon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your advice. I tried this but to no avail. However, eventually the problem "cleared up" and my lag was gone. I did nothing special, it just stopped occurring... and a few hours later began again. Me and a friend were scouring my PC looking for something that was running in the background but found nothing. Though, we are convinced that something is running on my PC that shouldn't be, why it only affects Photoshop and why the problem ceased is beyond me.

This problem destroyed my workflow for the day. But should I sacrifice more time re-installing windows and photoshop?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been having this same problems for a week now, and nothing I've tried has worked in repairing it.

I've had my computer since October, and up until last week it had been working fine. Without changing any settings, photoshop began brush lagging for no discernible reason.

It has put me a week behind in my work, and I'm still no closer to resolving the problem.

I'm on Windows 8, using CS6 with AMD Radeon HD 7310 graphics, and a Wacom Intuos 5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just install windows 7...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by funshark View Post
    just install windows 7...
    Useful and worthy advice mate, cheers. Maybe I should have got a Mac.

Muppet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you need to do is profile your system. On win8 (there is a version for win7 too) grab the Windows ADK at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=30652 and then use the Windows Performance Recorder to save a snapshot of the system, I'd select CPU/GPU options, save the snapshot and open it in Windows Performance Analyzer. This will give you a look at what running with high CPU/GPU utilization by process, look for patterns. Is it a single process eating the CPU or a combination....

-J

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsujni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unchecking use graphics processor worked for me! many thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have used a lot of versions of Photoshop since 1994 when computers had very little to work with and it created a set of rules to follow.

The lower part of the window for your canvas in CS versions is the size you are working with and Photoshop can work with more than your ram. If you have one gig, Photoshop can save an uncompressed file that is 1.25 gigs. You will not be able to open it until you get more ram, and it will say it is corrupt, but it is good.

If you go to Edit/Preferences/Memory & Image Cache you might see Photoshop is set to 50% by default. Take that up to 90%.

Brush lag and gitters comes from your video refresh rate It should be telling you to work with a smaller canvas. You can do your best with shutting down programs you don't need, but the best results comes from a smaller canvas. I can tell you what size is best to work with, because some video cards work best at full speed and a small canvas don't use enough.

To see how a smaller canvas effects the brush you will need to double click the magnifying glass so you will be viewing 100%, then you crop what you see and try your brushes to see if they work smoothly.
    Some video cards find the best settings for the screen size, so that could give you an idea where to start. Quality digital art is not about canvas size because when you need more canvas you can always add to it. When you need more resolution you can add more pixels with the image size times 9 so one pixel can become a nine pixel block.
    As you work with a small canvas you have brushes that can paint the sky in one stroke, and when you enlarge the canvas that option is too late to do smoothly because the brushes will not be big enough.
    What I have seen with good video cards is the ram can suffer from the lack of power by the power supply at at times that will make it unable to do as good as the built in video. Most video cards need more that 650 watts.
    My idea of a better video card has a gig of ram built in, and that is that ram used by the refresh rate. Well, that and the clock speed of the computer.

Members who have read this thread: 11