A small question regarding concept- and pixel artists.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A small question regarding concept- and pixel artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question A small question regarding concept- and pixel artists.

I'm currently studying for my Bachelor's degree in Games Art and in my final year personal project I'm trying to find out the following; Do concept artists need to have in mind that their drawings should translate well into a sprite or is that not much of a concern anymore now that you don't have to deal with strict hardware limitations?

I'm doing this to give me a better understanding of the concept to pixel art process so that I know what to expect and what is expected of me; whether I'm the concept artist or the pixel artist.

I hope to gather information from both dedicated concept artist and pixel artist.
    What's your experience/opinion on this matter?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont have a lot experience with pixel art... but i would guess that if you know that your concept will be translated into pixel art, you wouldn't do a a realistic illustration on it, it would be too troublesome for the pixel artist, i guess the concept could be as close in shape and color to what the pixel art is supposed to look.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As a designer you always need to consider what and who you are designing for...what is the end product and who is the target audience.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on the pixels. 8 Bit with only a few colors, 16 bit with some more, or really high res pixels. etc etc.

http://media.smashingmagazine.com/im...xel-art-11.png

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...010/03/014.jpg

Main point is to get the concept across and the main features of what your trying to create down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I kinda doubt this would be as much of an issue for pixel art as it is for (low poly) 3D art. At least when it comes to lower resolution sprites. I remember reading in an interview with Yoshitaka Amano that initially when he started working as a concept artist on Final Fantasy he tried to draw his characters similar to what the final product would look like, but the pixel artists for the game wanted him to draw the way he usually did, because it would be more inspiring for them.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback I get.

Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    I kinda doubt this would be as much of an issue for pixel art as it is for (low poly) 3D art. At least when it comes to lower resolution sprites. I remember reading in an interview with Yoshitaka Amano that initially when he started working as a concept artist on Final Fantasy he tried to draw his characters similar to what the final product would look like, but the pixel artists for the game wanted him to draw the way he usually did, because it would be more inspiring for them.
    Interesting. I found one interview with Yositaka Amano where he mentions his work process, but not as specifically as you describe.
    http://manga.about.com/od/mangaartis...a/YAmano_2.htm
    I need to see if I can find the one you're talking about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback I get.

Interesting. I found one interview with Yositaka Amano where he mentions his work process, but not as specifically as you describe.
    http://manga.about.com/od/mangaartis...a/YAmano_2.htm
    I need to see if I can find the one you're talking about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies! I appreciate all of it.

A while ago I found an interview with Yositaka Amano where he talks a tiny bit about this, however not the extent you seem to recall.
    (Here) I'll do some extra digging to see if I find the interview you're talking about.

Members who have read this thread: 2