Woman's Face-[Value & Anatomy study].
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Woman's Face-[Value & Anatomy study].

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Woman's Face-[Value & Anatomy study].

Hello guys. So, this is basically a value study I've done while trying to draw the woman's face. Beforehand, yes...I've rushed the hair quite a lot here, because my main focus with this piece was to catch the minor value changes in the model and try to mimic those digitally. I hope there are not major flaws so far. This study took me something around 45 minutes from scratch to proper form and 20 minutes for refining the form and improving shapes while adding more details.

I'm proud of it, guess it has been a major jump from my previous drawings and I'm looking forward to be destroyed by harsh comments here. Please critique that as much as you can. Thank you all in advance.

Att,
    Andre.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Andrew L. Lauren; January 30th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have the reference picture ? Here I find the painting good, it mix nice soft and hard edge but I'm wondering about some part of her face strangely flat... Also, you can really go and define more the nose it help a lot the understanding don't be afraid with this part.

I think they are some "perspective" issue with the left part of her face actually but I'm not the best to point you what looks wrong exactly...I think he eye is not at the good place (too much on the bottom) and the eyebrow do a strange line...

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Griffonmage, thanks for you reply, mate! Unfortunately I don't have the photo-reference in my computer. The photo was from her personal collection and I handed it over once I've finished the first rough form from it. Haha ye, I do was a lil bit scary of giving too much details on her nose, couldn't make it more obvious could I? xD I have noticed something with her right eye too... couldn't point out what is it but it feels out of place, doesn't it? Do you mean the her right eyebrow got a strange line?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah that's unfortunate for the reference...

Actually it's our right (her left) eyebrow I was speaking of, same for the eye... sorry I always make the confusion :p

I'm really not good with face but I think a little comparison can help, it will just require to adjust some part on the right side of the face (our right). And add a little more skull

Name:  54043192we8.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  84.3 KB

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man, good work so far, but I feel the chin is abit too pushed for high contrast, it's cool when you are the solid shapes but its feel to graphical, like a PS filter so it lost the round form, feel like a naval ship nose now.

<<<I R LUMINA R I>>>

How I eat pen everyday aka ma Sketchbook.

http://fxevo.blogspot.com/ The blog of city wanderer.
    Facebook: Duc. Truong Huyen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

At first I thought it should be like it due to the direction she's dacing...

At first I thought it should be like it due to the direction she's FACING*

...but then, again. Why not a lil tweak? ^^ And it seems reasonably better imo!? Tell me what you think...

Last edited by Andrew L. Lauren; January 30th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sorry fxEVo, didn't get your comment before posting.

Here's another version of it with soften nose and a bit of the chin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weather or not you're going for the likeness, I think you could use your reference a little more, especially as a guideline for perspective, skll and shadows (as far as they don't fall differently because of your changes in the parties of the face). You can form nose/mouth/eyes/jaw/chin etc. differently to create a unique face, but still want to stay closer to where they are and how they are supposed to look from the perspective you are imitating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Swamp thing! (Now THAT'S a nice name to be called for!! Hahaha). Boy, I wish I got that picture in my hands. My model was actually pretty different from the woman I've drawn, I basically switched her curly hair and brown eyes to the approach you see in my illustration. Her looks were really passionate at whatever she was staring at, so I tried to mimic that... Anyway THANK YOU for the paint over and the time spent on it, I really appreciate it and needless to say, it was of incredible help.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.