When use photography ???
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: When use photography ???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When use photography ???

Hello friends of concept art,

These days Iīve been developing some quick enviroment concepts for a personal project. In one of them I am trying to develop an abandoned supermarket, and I noticed that itīs impossible to me to try paint it all with my hand. A few hours ago Iīve decided to take a photo resource and make an overpaint on it. I heard a lot of people saying they donīt like the concepts who uses too much photo copy/paste. Obviously, I am not referring to the use a photo as a texture, I am talking about take a photo and transform it to make done your desires .......

I think itīs necesary if the image must be done in a few hours, as itīs my case. What do you think about this kind of use of photo? Do you know any examples which could inspire me?

Letīs the discussion begin !!!

Greetings !!

http://joremdsgn.carbonmade.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's hard to say. I don't really know how much different your painting is from the photo. But anyways, if you think your painting is different enough then I would say it's fine.

If it's a matte painting you are doing then you probably don't have to worry anyways. (If it's your own photo that is.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Jandered, thank you for participate.

Well, If I use them, I usually make enough overpaint to try to change the photo enough. For the image I am trying to do (an abandoned supermarket) Iīm trying to get a feel like this left 4 dead image:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...Concept_10.jpg

I donīt know if this is an official image or not. Maybe I would try to make more overpaint on the photo parts because for my taste, elements like the wheels (right) are still too "photographic". What do you think ??

The question I want to know is the general opinion about this idea: It is "legal" to sacrifice a painterly-feel when to be fast is the principal thing??

Greetings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you are just getting an idea across you're fine using photos. If it's just to show someone an idea, a concept, a potential image, it's fine. I wouldn't make a portfolio out of photo collage but many professionals start with a photo and manipulate and paint over it and add more and more photo overlays and textures until you can't see where one photo ends another begins. That sample image looks like much of the concept art I've seen in studios. The stuff you don't show off, it's just for inspiration and it's really only a sketch, you just happen to be using photoshop and photos instead of pencil and paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posting the actual concept(s) you did in the critique section, would probably give you more insightful opinions, than photo good/photo bad. its all a matter of the purpose of the image (pre-vis vs marketing e.g.) and your ability to combine various photos without it looking like a kid got his hands dirty with photoshop. lets see some art (in the critique and wip section).

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys for your participation.

Well, the thread is wasnt about the piece of artwork I want to develop. I only arrived to the question trough the process to make it. I am only trying to open a discussion about the use of photography as a base for a concept.

Maybe thats the reason because the moderators have moved this post. Iīm sorry If It was posted on the wrong section

If finally I finish the concept I have started, Iīll show you !! In fact, a few hours ago Iīve been in a supermarket making some photos !!

Thanks !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    discussion about the use of photography as a base for a concept.
    - is it going to be a published image in which apparent usage of third party material might constitute copyright infringement?
    - is it going to be unpublished?
    - is it supposed to be a learning experience?
    - is is purely for the purpose of producing that one image, no study?
    - how much third party material is clearly apparent in your work?
    - Do you have permission to use the photograph(s) used? Or do you own them?

Answering these questions gives you a good idea what photos to use if any, and when.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorem View Post
    Well, the thread is wasnt about the piece of artwork I want to develop. I only arrived to the question trough the process to make it. I am only trying to open a discussion about the use of photography as a base for a concept.
    I've been asking about this area of using photo reference for years. It's a very touchy subject and I've asked a LOT of pro's their opinion, but usually get no reply or something vague only because it's a very complicated subject. Like Maidith is asking, is the photo references your using found reference, photos that someone else took like from google images or are they your photos? Answering her questions would give a better understanding what it is your trying to do.

If it's photo manipulation you might like David Seeley.

But there are ways to use found photos indirectly for painting (not photo-manipulation), meaning you don't copy anything directly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys, Iīm sorry Iīve been out for some days. Well, these days I was taking different photos near of my home, and one or two of them were of a supermarket. With one of these photos I made this image for a personal project. This use of photography Is what I was talking about:

Name:  finalMarket_WEB.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  291.2 KB

Greetings
    Jorem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    helpful thread

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.