Art: A career question...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A career question...

Hi!

I was just wondering, if one were looking to pursue a career as a concept artist at a studio, would it be beneficial to learn how to animate? Is it required or is it just something like a bonus? Do concept artists ever animate their designs?

Thank you so much!

p.s.: I hope I put this in the right forum, if I didn't- I'm sorry, I'm new!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not an animator, but the way it usually works is the concept artist creates concepts for the animators - who may or may not also be the 3d sculptors or what have you.

So it's not necessary per se but it is taught in college courses. Animation was a required credit at my college for any sort of entertainment design degree, and I will tell you I didn't like it one bit, but it was useful. It's also helpful to know how animation works so you make designs that work.

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of concept artists in the industry have at least a working knowledge of industry sculpting tools (Zbrush, Maya), and good fundamentals of animation (mainly understanding how to make a character that CAN deform well and be easily animateable.) At smaller studios, some concept artists also work on modeling/animating... but they are more 3d generalists to begin with. Concept art is a very difficult field, AND another thing to remember, esp. at big game studios is that Environment concept artists (designing bushes/buildings etc.) are more in demand than character concept artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The more stuff you know- the more jobs you can apply for or the more positions a studio can utilize from you.

As a generalist (2D television) - I tend to find jobs more quickly than my friends who are only-animators or only-layout etc... simply because I can apply to many more ads.
    Also, as Praemium said, design is super competitive, if you can fall back on animation or something else to fill in the employment gaps --- unless you're one of those gifted super-robot artists...

Learn as much as you can cram into your brain - it's all useful

Members who have read this thread: 2