Help with brand-new intuos5 surface: how to take care?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help with brand-new intuos5 surface: how to take care?

Hi there!

Ive read that some people would place some kind of sheet over the intuos surface in order to prevent it from scratching.

Is that valid? Or even worth it? Or it's okay for it to get scratched?

Any recommendations?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try searching for POSRUS Intuos 5 cover on Amazon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Will check it out.

However, Id still like to hear some opinions to the surface scratching matter. Am I going too much OCD here? Is it something most intuos5 owners care about? Should I care?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by technokill View Post
    Thanks! Will check it out.

However, Id still like to hear some opinions to the surface scratching matter. Am I going too much OCD here? Is it something most intuos5 owners care about? Should I care?
    Okey dokeyyy...

So... I own an Intuos5 Small. I've had it for ~7 months and use it nearly every day.
    Yes, there are scratches of the surface, but they're minor. There's a slight glossy look to the worn areas and some lines on the right-hand-side that have made the area I use to scroll when going through documents or reference with the scroll bar.

IMO, you bought it to be used, not to be looked at and constantly be paranoid about wear and tear, sure protectors are nice and if you can live with the different texture feel of the protector, then go for it!
    Hell, stuff a protector, just tape some tracing paper/printing paper to the drawing surface. It should still work fine as the tablet can pick up the signal from quite a distance.

Here's some pictures (Sorry for their huge-ass size):

( Click to show/hide )
    Name:  Intuos5_Small_Scratches.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  512.4 KB

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THanks! I just tried to tape a textured drawing paper I have on top of it and so far it seems okay, though it looks ugly.

What if I increased the pen sensitivity up to the maximum? Would that be a wise move so I dont have to press too hard on the surface, thus avoiding scratches/nib wear?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd just adjust the pressure to whatever feels natural to you, try and make it feel like you're drawing with a pencil and paper (or whatever traditional medium you use).
    Sure, you may and will get used to the feel of adjusting the pressure levels after time, but if it doesn't feel natural it may affect you productivity.

Nib wear is inevitable. You can purchase more from the Wacom website. Packs of 5 for between AUD $11.00 - 19.00.

I go through a nib every 2ish weeks, it's just one of those things, you use a pencil, it wears down, same concept.
    IMO, buy them in bulk, buy like 3 or so packs as shipping is rather expensive.

You can buy felt nibs/flex nibs which have a rubberised soft feel to them. I use the flex nibs.
    These will help to not scratch the surface of the tablet.

I do use the standard black nibs too though, thus the scratches.

The main thing to keep note of is the nib wear, just keep an eye out and if it looks like it's starting to make a point, either replace the nib or get a small file and smoothen the surface of it.
    I keep a small file in my laptop bag; I tend to file the nibs sometimes to smoothen them, I usually get another couple of days use out of them.

All the best, let me know how it goes.

Ghost.

Last edited by -Tragedy-; January 31st, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
    www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.