Art: Becoming a creature designer? in the entertainment industry. Help

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Becoming a creature designer? in the entertainment industry. Help

Hello I'm Alexander and I'm also still new here to this forum. I have lurked around for some bit,but couldn't resist this amazing and helpful forum and decided to join the fun

Ok, I'm strongly interested in becoming a designer for the entertainment industry, mainly specializing in as a creature designer. Of course I would also focus on characters, weapons, vechicles, and landscape. I have attended the Arts Institute for Animation,but that wasn't my thing. I was lucky enough to have taken the fundamental classes like live drawing, perspective, anatomy, color theory and design. So I decided to take those knowledge into digital painting,but it just wasn't the same as to working in traditional. I felt that I needed to back to the beginning and just focus on life drawing/ perspective, anatomy especially animal anatomy. I have plan to apply and attend Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art to study on their Entertainment Art program. They have such an amazing fundamental program, so I'm definitely aiming for that next year after saving up money.

So my question is, to you all those in the entertainment industry or experience, what can I work on to make it into this amazing career of entertainment design,especially specializing in creature design.
    I also plan to take classes at Schell Sculpture Studio after completing the entertainment art program. I have loved animals, understanding their behaviors, environment, watching nature shows on tv as a kid. I'm very fortunate to live near Los Angeles where all the magic happens so I definitely can't let this huge opportunity go to waste. What can I work on besides the fundamentals. Books? links? to great articles would be greatly appreciated. I just feel like I'm not studying as hard as I should be :/ I need a homework or a challenge on the side to keep me motivated. Bascially any tips, articles, books, a direction would be great.

Thank you all for your time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest Neville Page DVDs by Gnomon Workshop and Terryll Wilch. Also, you will need to learn Zbrush I think for industry.

I have been working on the same stuff, but vehicle design is my passion. However, becoming a concept designer you need to learn how the world works in order to design new worlds, i.e. Creatures. Learn anatomy of humans as they translate to animals as well. Also, you have to be able to tell a story about the creature and hence its environments... check out Iain McCaig's Storytelling collection on Gnomon Workshop.

During the last couple of years I've been collecting the DVD's and in 2012 I decided to make the serious commitment to being a concept designer and journalled everything on my blog. Check it out and hope it helps.

Priy

http://grandpriy.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I would suggest becoming familiar with human and animal anatomy.. and the best way to do that is draw, draw, copy and draw. Understand the forms, shading, etc.

I've been doing a similar thing, training to become a Concept Designer, and my passion is vehicles. However, in order to create new vehicles, you need to be able to create the characters and environment that tell the story for such new worlds. There are lots online schools to learn from, Schoolism, CDW, CGMA and Gnomon Workshop. I would recommend Gnomon Workshop DVDs, especially Neville Page, Terryll Whilch and Iain McCaig collections. Also, Feng Zhu's youtube channel is great (FZD SCHOOL).

Since taking the plunge to be a concept design last year, I journalled everything on my blog. Check it out, hope it helps and good luck.

Priy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I would suggest becoming familiar with human and animal anatomy.. and the best way to do that is draw, draw, copy and draw. Understand the forms, shading, etc.

I've been doing a similar thing, training to become a Concept Designer, and my passion is vehicles. However, in order to create new vehicles, you need to be able to create the characters and environment that tell the story for such new worlds. There are lots online schools to learn from, Schoolism, CDW, CGMA and Gnomon Workshop. I would recommend Gnomon Workshop DVDs, especially Neville Page, Terryll Whilch and Iain McCaig collections. Also, Feng Zhu's youtube channel is great (FZD SCHOOL).

Since taking the plunge to be a concept design last year, I journalled everything on my blog. Check it out, hope it helps and good luck.

Priy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for those links and information. Zbrush looks like it will be fun to play with. I'll be sure to check your blog as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello 2kaptivate98
    The advice I would give you is firstly, to remember it’s not all about what subjects you have studied or what certificates you've got, in fact that matters little. What they want to see is "cool" looking paintings that can be produced really quickly.
    So logically that’s the place to start getting those skills, and this is where the schooling really helps, you need to be able to like I mentioned before, produce, good, finished work and you need to produce it fast, no matter what medium you use.
    Once you have this skill set your next step is to display that fact to the world, by getting your work out there for people to see and talk about. In order to do this most artists create what is known as an “Artist blog” which is an online portfolio of their work, usually done on Wordpress (More control) or Blogger (Simple).
    The first step to creating an online portfolio is to produce more good, presentable work than you could possible put into your online portfolio, which needs to have 20-30 pictures. When selecting work for your portfolio, you really want to be drawing at straws.
    What you need to display in your work is a collection of your very best Environments, Creatures, Characters design, Vehicle’s, props like Weapons, gadgets, equipment and armour, as well as a collection of random sketches out of your sketchbooks.
    (Yes that’s right, if you work digitally you will need to create a digital sketchbook)
    The Second step is to actually get people to see it, which means going onto forums and talking to people and in general working hard, because you have to keep producing this whole time. But at the end of the day if your work is good and its presented well you will get people to have a look.
    It all boils down to the fact, that when someone Google’s your name and clicks on the link to your blog, it has to wow them, blow their soaks off, it has to be quote un quote “Cool” awesome even! And if your work is all of these things eventually, someone in the market for an entertainment designer or illustrator will come across your blog and will get in contact with you.
    PS: Don’t forget to include an email address and or phone number.
    Hope this helps in some way.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JLamps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks JLamps, I'll keep all that in mind for sure, really appreciated.

Members who have read this thread: 4