- I tried to change the forum section describtion font color from black to a dark grey, but sadly I can't find the line of code. Perhaps the CSS needs to get edited, so I'll hit up some team members for help.
- The sub forum - "Android - Self portrait of the day" has also been moved by me. It doesn't show up anymore, but I can bring it back if people want to.
But I think there's no need for it because the images aren't working anymore and the forum doesn't get used recently.
- The 3 huge broken images in the forum sections "Sketchbooks" and "Finished Artwork" have been temporary deleted til they are fixed. Perhaps we'll also look for another solution.
More updates soon, yay.
Last edited by Lukas Esch; April 27th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
How do you guys feel about getting rid of the Entertainment forum? I never post in these just because I feel like it's not going to be active. Considering that the main Lounge isn't super busy either, it seems like it would be be easier just to merge them and have those discussions in here.
Congratulations to the new people being featured in the banner!
Thanks to Jason, I know now how to update the header, so we won't see the people staying the same in the banner for ages now. Or atleast I hope so, haha!
Last edited by Lukas Esch; April 27th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
While browsing this thread I had a few nasty database errors as both an authenticated an an anonymous user. You need to get some of the load off of your database. Looking at the stats on the forum home page I see: "There are currently 1502 users online. 54 members and 1448 guests". You should set up a Varnish cache to deliver content to the unauthenticated users. What it does is after Apache processes and renders all of the PHP code and sends the response to an anonymous user, Varnish caches that response for however long it's set. When another anonymous user requests the same page, it'll serve up the cached html and not hit the DB at all. Since it looks like a very small percentage of users are logged in this should take quite a load off the DB.
Offload static assets onto a CDN. A huge portion of the load of this site is image files. Put those up on an Amazon server so that the server that is working to process the PHP isn't also working to deliver the images. This will also have the effect of the browser being able to make more concurrent http requests. Check out this table: http://www.browserscope.org/?category=network, latest version of Chrome connections per hostname= 6, max allowed connections= 12, so by offloading assets to a separate server, you're doubling the number of connections the browser is making at once.
When the site responds, it's pretty fast. 2.2 seconds to visually complete isn't bad. I think getting the anonymous user load off the DB via Varnish would be the greatest improvement you could make. It's much better than a couple of years ago or so when I remember the site being completely unusable.
This is a bit pie-in-the-sky, but why not lay it out. I'd drop vBulletin as the base for the site. It sounds like you're wanting to expand beyond the features of a forum and are held back by the software.
Return JSON response, iterate over it in the template whether it be web front, native application, or whatever.
Some parts of the site make sense as a forum. General Discussion and whatnot. But I'd really customize the experience of areas like Sketchbooks and Community competitions. Create more post types than the single forum post type you have now. Sketchbooks seems like they should be more blogs than forum posts, they're personal to the person that created them. Other users posting in their thread are not of equal weight.
Images should be uploaded to the CA.org server and not be a pain in the ass to do so. I think this is the reason I stopped posting regularly here. It was taking 1/2 hour or so to upload 14 figure drawings. It's a shame that so many classic threads have faded into the ether with missing images.
Social integration. Hover over images to easily share on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest. Increase traffic to the site via social channels. You've got this going on with Addthis, but I'd customize it a bit so that Facebook is sharing the image and put Pinterest in the list.
- "... of the Week" badges should all be working again! I found all old icons and placed them in their correct folder so that every badge should show up again Some of them still have transparency problems: IoW, ChoW and Teen. Unfortunately a few badges from these challanges are not placed on our server. Don't ask me why, but they're stored on image hosting sites, so I can't change them. So if you're having an badge that is not getting displayed properly (or isn't getting displayed AT ALL), then write me a PM and I'll fix it.
- The "Exclusive Sketchbook" section has been deleted. The threads aren't lost of course! They've been moved to the normal sketchbook section where the owners can continue posting! Our reasons for this was that they didn't get much traffic and comments, even though awesome people are posting in there.
Last edited by Lukas Esch; May 23rd, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Velocity Kendall We already talked about it and there is nothing we can do about it right now. As BlackSpot stated, when they show up they will be uploaded instantly. We had several hardware failures by our server provider, so we can't do more than saying sorry.
Spellsword95 The issue is known. We're still tweaking the design a lot and some variables are harder to find than it looks like. Still thanks for reporting!