Improving CA.org - Please share ideas <3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks

Improving CA.org - Please share ideas <3

Cleaned up this post and added the new suggestions + checked the old ones - Nemome

Hey!

Because the thread "CA lose its touch?" is getting kinda messy, even though there are some great ideas in there, I though that it might be a good idea to open a new thread JUST for the suggestions to improve this forum in the future.

I'll try to edit this post from time to time that we have all the good suggestion in this one post. : )

Suggestions:
    • getting the job site back ( Team is working to update the code - If anyone knows web coding and wants to help -> Hit up one of the persons of our team! )
    • study group/partner section - finding groups, buddies, .. to study together with
    • a new "official" chat function integrated as a link in the top bar under the banner ( "What's new" "Forum" "Chat" ) - Better chat feature. Current one looks messy and unclear. Going to ask in the team what they think.
    • new forum skin - is getting worked at. You can select it at the bottom of the site. It's still WIP, but you can get a sneak preview there!
    • new badge-system - is getting worked on!
    • Adding a WIKI to look up informations in a clean way
    • bundled PDF system to get to people's portofolio, ...
    • Art feed - Whenever an artist you've subscribed to posts a new image you see it in a little box. Like twitter with images only. When you click on the image it goes to wherever it was posted.
    • Ian's design mock-up: CLICK

Suggestions that are added by now:
    • showing the "... of the week" winners in a banner on the top --- Challanges themselves are added
    • cleaning the forum from old stuff and spam ( BlackSpot is already doing this, thanks! ) --- Being worked on 24/7
    • more participation from the founders and other professionals --- Is happening right now but this needs some time. It will come over time.
    • less flaky forum engine --- More or less done. With have a new person that helps us with everything regarding our forum software. If you notice any bugs -> report them please.
    • social sharing buttons everywhere (for linking threads, tutorials, ...)
    • streaming video library - http://www.conceptart.org/forumdisplay.php?f=249 - Populate that guys! Gogo! : )
    • Thunderdome baby! It's coming back!
    • merging not used forum sections with popular ones to give the forum a cleaner look
    • clearing the hundred of stickies

Suggestions that got rejected:
    • manually approved registrations --- Too much work and it's hard to decide between spam and no-spam.
    • new users for the "exclusive sketchbook" section, most of the current users aren't even active anymore --- Exclusive sketchbooks aren't "advertising" the artists good enough anymore. They section will get deleted perhaps. Good and hard working artists will get featured in the banner.

If you have any more suggestions, feel free to post them.
    Even though the team is quite busy with current work, it would still be awesome to see some of this stuff changed in the future.

Nemome

Last edited by Lukas Esch; March 24th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Manually approved registration, on any level.

Stop the spam, discourage hacking, improve the forums.

nevermind about the archives, I found the link someone gave it to me lol.

Last edited by Izi; January 28th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,393 Posts
    Attract the right sort of people.

Seriously, though, more participation from the founders and other professionals would be always welcome.

Also, it'd benefit from a less flaky forum engine.

And getting the jobs site back should be a good thing.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I updated the list.

A manually approved registration might me impossible. The team seems to be very busy already right now so would be kinda overkill I think. Even though the idea is quite nice!

Arenhaus, they are working on the forum engine since the major forum update, aren't they? At least that's what I heard. BlackSpot is also doing her best to get the job site back.
    But the suggestion to have more participation from the founders and other professionals is good. But how could we do that?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

thanoss Guest
    Lets face it, the majority of the people that post are in the SB, lounge or art discussion forums, and out of those 3 the majority are in the SB section.
    Other than that alot of the other sections nobody even visit, other than looking up old obscure tutorials with links that are dead.
    The whole tutorial section needs a overhaul. Maybe manley PLC can make videos for beginners that have clear drawing and painting sections that will entice users to see stages in paintings and drawings etc, rather than whoring of the VLP videos which are 10 years old, and now trying to pass them of as new information that people should pay for.
    How about making this site worthwhile again rather than whoring of the VLP videos on the Deviantart TAD section for $$$$$.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thanoss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,441 Times in 3,653 Posts
    That's sort of the kind of thing I want to do with the tutorial section. There aren't many links to beginner stuff - they don't even have to be on this site. I'm hoping to make a start next weekend and any of you do have suggestions of which threads should be included for a beginner, I'd be grateful. There are tutorial all over the place, like Fine Arts etc. Getting rid of a lot of the stickies would declutter the place a lot. I'd like to see only a few and those can contain links to the orginal stickies if needed.

Nemome, I don't have access to the engine room of the forum, my powers are limited, but I can nag and do. The whole site needs a bit of a rest from updates until what has been done settles in and no further problems occur. The more complicated it comes, the harder it is for the programmer to find the problem, whch is why a lot of the badges etc have disappeared - they're somewhere in the attic.

And, please, no more drama.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A quick way of searching everywhere excluding the sketchbooks. (results always get cluttered)

Social sharing buttons everywhere. That would increase the exposure of threads and the site in general.

See what Behance has been doing. Find a way to make a user's CA profile double as a sort of porfolio (which could be also be used in the job section).

An option to see all images of a SB in a slideshow/gallery. It would make it easier to comment on large SBs.

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Januz For This Useful Post:

thanoss Guest
    Blackspot is there no chance of something like this happening on CA? Instead of manely whoring out the VLP videos as new info on DA, isnt there a possibility to setup a separate section to the forums or part of the site that directs new users and more advanced users into a tutorials section like the way this site is setup. Instead of the shitty VLP site that outdated and nobody uses.

I don't mean exactly like that site, and specially made videos, but more clearly defined sections, and maybe if manley plc isnt to busy whoring out tad on DA he can get people onto the case of making videos for this site if possible. I know this might be a big undertaking, but i feel its what the site needs to evolve.

http://www.drawmixpaint.com/

Last edited by thanoss; January 29th, 2013 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Well you already grabbed my suggestion from the CA lost it's touch thread of Community activities banner showing the winners and linking to the thread. That's about all I wanted. Simple little banner you can swap out pictures easily, same kind that's on a lot of news sites, among countless others. Can't be that hard or expensive, some of these sites are cheap looking lol.

Started messing around with CHOW, 2nd week, very fun. Imagine if more people joined it would be even funner seeing what people come up with.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Januz You can easily do an advanced search and mark everything except sketchbooks for the search. Otherwise you can also search on this site via google: "site:conceptart.org blableurghwhatever". This gives you most of the times way better search results cause the search engine of this forum is not the best, hehe.
    Socialsharing buttons sound nice. I added them to the list! But people can still post links into social sites, so the buttons would just be a small addition to make things easier.
    And the portfolios are already in progress if I am not mistaken. They were going to be part of CA.org 4.0, and all these functions will be implented over time.

For the tutorial section:
    In my opinion it would currently just help if a few of the amateur tutorials that only link to another site would be deleted. There are some tutorials that were made during a few seconds and they just look amateurish and aren't help for anyone.
    I think these are the ones that should be deleted first.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    VBulletin is a stable engine, but they were warning us for weeks on the backend about an exploit that needed a manual adjustment and a patch ASAP. If the reason CA got hacked was because no one has access to the Admin Panel to view these important news flashes, every single day, then that needs to be fixed. I catch 1-2 people attempting exploits VBulletin's staff warned us to patch, years and weeks ago.

Vbulletin is unfortunately the best choice for a forum. Especially an art forum. It is ideal for image presentation, with its complete lack of sidebar bloat and has major customizability. CGHUB uses Vbulletin as well as the now defunct GFXartist, as far as I can tell. CA is bigger, gets more traffic and thus more exploits, spam etc. Server load was a problem, which is why Jason bought us all new servers, which is why the forums are so much faster and stable.

Manual registration takes ONE click to kill a spammer, as opposed to 5-10 clicks, and more, if there are responses from live members, so tell me again how this adds work? Granted, the person needs access to the admin panel, but these powers can be limited.

A quick way of searching everywhere excluding the sketchbooks. (results always get cluttered)
    This cannot be fixed, use google's search within site. Tags are all we have, so tag threads.

Social sharing buttons everywhere. That would increase the exposure of threads and the site in general.
    I second this.

Also if you are bringing back the banner with the sketchbooks (Which makes the forum really annoying and too bulky to load on Android phones btw) please weed out people who no longer actively contribute to the forums or who no longer work for MB.

Last edited by Izi; January 29th, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Izi Thanks for the informations about VBulletin. Good to know.
    Our idea was not to bring back the banner with the sketchbooks, but to bring the winners from "... of the week" into some kind of banner, so you actually get some inspiration to participate in them.

----------------

I also had an idea for the tutorial section.
    How about the idea that every tutorial (new thread) has to be checked by an moderator before displaying it in the section. This way the quality of the tutorials would increase much more because not everyone would be able to post and the moderator could have a quick look if it's just a link to another tutorial website or if it is made just for this site.
    What do you guys think about this?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    We seriously don't have new spammers joining much now - we have a lot of nice new tools for that. It's mainly clearing up the old stuff and it goes back right to the beginning. I'd like old users with zero posts to be deleted (means they can rejoin later - except spam won't) but the answer was no sadly.

I love the banner idea for the winners too.

There are approximately 25 new members every day. While manual registration might be possible, it's a heck of a lot to do day in, day out. Some of us mods do have lives.

I think if some of the sections were tidied up and stickies were fewer, but with information set out in a logical way in them, buttons etc wouldn't be needed. Less clutter - this comes from someone who hates housework.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just read this thread - now that'd make a great addition to the Challenge & Collaboration bit, especially if we can get places to post them directly.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    I love the banner idea for the winners too.
    Any chance to get this added as soon as possible? It owuld be a quite nice feature and give the forum a fresh look. With this added we could also advertise them a bit more again.

Can users help the team in some way btw?
    I would love to help somewhere.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemome View Post
    the suggestion to have more participation from the founders and other professionals is good. But how could we do that?
    I have an idea for a "showcase" section. It would be an area where game, movie and comic studios would be encouraged to promote their games, comics or movies etc. by flossing their art in a thread.

As for more founder participation? Too many of the founding members have been banned. That's a different conversation though.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    I like all of these suggestions. Every time those kinds of threads like 'CA lose its touch?' comes up, the community shows again and again how dedicated it is to these boards and how willing it is to make this a better place. Lots of people really love CA because of what it has done for them on many different levels and want it to be an even more awesome place to be on.

It's not the first time negative threads have been turned into positive threads with a lot of feedback on how to make things better. Sadly, not much is done afterwards and things sink back into normalcy.

I really hope many these suggestions get to see the light. This site and its community deserves it.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    One thing that would be cool is a "study group" section.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A study group section would be kind of the thing that CrimsonDagger is running in their forum, even though it's quite a nice idea.
    I added it to the list.

What are the opinions from all other users here?
    Would you like to have a study group section to find groups, buddys, ... to study with?

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe a Skype group kinda thing that allows peeps to IM or chat, have a physical discussion as you will... Could be nice, however I imagine there to be flaming and spamming by people.

Thoughts?

As for study group section.
    I like it. Maybe have it in particular areas. Like a study group on environment painting, figure painting, mech ect...

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to -Tragedy- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Chat
    While I'm not totally against the idea of having a chat built directly into CA.org, I haven't seen many websites where it's been well implemented. Skype or some other IM could work. There have been some chat related things in the past, though I'm not sure what's still active (and I don't have time to check right now).

Ventrillo (voice chat):
    Server: voice402.hurricanehost.com (from 2007 post) probably dead
    Port: 4042

Alt Server: chi01.hurricanehost.com (from 2011 post)
    Port: 4401

IRC (text chat):
    In your IRC client type: /server irc.whatnet.org:6667
    Once connected type: /join #conceptart

Sketching App
    CA used to have a sketching app, and I'm partially in favor of bringing that back. I say partially since there are decently sophisticated painting apps that can be installed directly into Chrome and other browsers now.

Study Groups
    Any greater emphasis on group activities would be great. I tend to do a lot of studies, and often participate in things like Spartan Camp.

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There have been skype groups before, and some of them might still exist.
    But the problem was that there was no real moderation so after a while most of the conversations in the group were only off-topic (one of the reasons why I left them after a while).

I don't know exactly what's up with the new Google Hangouts, that are getting more and more popular recently, but I think they would also be an option.
    If I am not mistaken than there would also be screen sharing and stuff like that.

The Ventrillo chat should be still alive, but pretty dead. One of the main problems of Ventrillo is that no one really knows this service (or is it just me?). Perhaps Ventrillo used to be popular, but IF then it was definitely in the past, lol.

So ---
    Study groups as a new forum section sound like a good idea.
    I kinda like how CrimsonDagger handled it over in their forum. They have basically two sections: "Seeking a partner" and "Seeking a group".

Now the question is if the conceptart team wants to "copy" that or what they think about the idea.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well there are several Sketch Book Groups going in the Community Mentoring and a thread here for SB buddies. It's more a matter of tidying up the place.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Okay, so we basically need to wait now.

How is the teams opinion to hiring a few more members for the team by the way?
    You, Arshes Nei, Star Eater and Elwell seem to be the only ones who still participate in the forum.
    Sorry if I forgot to mention someone active, but these were the first names that drop into my mind.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My idea for the study group would be like Crimson Daggers, but hopefully blossom into something like Massive Black. The Crimson Daggers forum has an all inclusive rule with good reason. This would be focused towards finding members of similar taste, similar skill level and similar goals. Maybe build a brand to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Well there are several Sketch Book Groups going in the Community Mentoring and a thread here for SB buddies. It's more a matter of tidying up the place.
    The Mentoring section has always been temporary. I haven't checked there in a while, but whenever I've checked the threads they have been expired for quite some time. If it is still up and going that's news to me and it should be promoted a little. I still think it's a great idea, but I think the two ideas could be in the same subforum along with tutoials and other study resources.

Study groups would just take the SSG's a step further.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah... So a chat thing may be a possibility. Who know's?
    I'll have a look at what you all have provided in terms of IM, IRC, chat ect...

Anyway, I found these lately Multiuser Sketchpad and superfreedraw
    They allow for many users to draw onto the same workspace. The better one appears to be Multiuser Sketchpad, however I think the developer stopped supporting it.
    It would be pretty cool for CA to have a server for that and those on the forums could draw together or so "live" tutorials on basic drawing.
    But again, I'm pretty sure the idea had been scrapped by the developer, Mr.doob.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

54. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Tragedy- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts

56. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A proper forum chat, integrated into the top bar ("What's new" "Forum" "Chat") would be a good beginning in my opinion and not too complicated to add.
    The good thing is that a lot of people would be using it because it would be the "official" chat, just a click away from the forum page.

I'll add that to the list!

Edit: To the drawing and painting apps for multiply users: I don't think there is any app that would work flawless and keep all the spam away. The problem is that most of them don't work that good for painting and that after a while the whole canvas would be spammed by bots with advertisment stuff or just boobies, ...
    It WOULD be a nice idea, but as far as i know not realizable yet. :<

58. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemome View Post
    A proper forum chat, integrated into the top bar ("What's new" "Forum" "Chat") would be a good beginning in my opinion and not too complicated to add.
    The good thing is that a lot of people would be using it because it would be the "official" chat, just a click away from the forum page.

I'll add that to the list!

Edit: To the drawing and painting apps for multiply users: I don't think there is any app that would work flawless and keep all the spam away. The problem is that most of them don't work that good for painting and that after a while the whole canvas would be spammed by bots with advertisment stuff or just boobies, ...
    It WOULD be a nice idea, but as far as i know not realizable yet. :<
    CA used to have a sketcher where people could draw together. I dont know what happened to it.

Edit: found the old sketcher thread http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...sketcher/page8

Last edited by Wingal; February 4th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.
    Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

60. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2