New at this! Would like some critiques!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New at this! Would like some critiques!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New at this! Would like some critiques!

Hello people of ConceptArt!

Since this is my first post, I am going to tell a little bit about myself so you know where I'm at! If you're not interested in this, then please feel free to start
    criticise my work!

Let me just first say that I'm new to the concept art forum. I've browsed around the forum for about 2 weeks now. To get to know it! (Though I do always get stuck at the Sketchbook).
    Since I'm new to ConceptArt.org, this mean that I am new to concept art in general. I got myself an Intuos4 Medium 1,5 years ago, and I'm used to it and know how it works.
    I've done a lot of space art previously and after many pieces I consider myself good in doing space art. (www.gabriel-bs.deviantart.com)
    But anyhow, I've been trying for the last 2 months to paint something everyday. Or just when I got the time. I now feel that I can upload something and take criticism!
    I haven't attended a single art class in my life except for the ones that was in my schedule when I was in school of the age 12-15. Though I have always fancied art and I've always loved to draw, and create stuff! I love being creative! (AND I WANT TO LEARN THIS SHITZ!)

Just to get it clear, I'm not particularly proud of all. I do see that there's flaws in them all, but the problem is, I don't really know where the flaws lies! You with me?
    Any critic, tips, ideas would be appreciated! Cheers!
    (If I've done everything right they should be uploaded in order of the date I painted them)

Name:  ship.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  417.2 KBName:  station.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  384.1 KBName:  City skecth.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  499.4 KBName:  the top of building.jpg
Size:  297.0 KBName:  Enviorment.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  533.4 KBName:  Spaceship in fantasy landscape.jpg
Size:  463.3 KBName:  skog.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  342.1 KBName:  tree.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  347.7 KBName:  houses.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  438.7 KBName:  trash enviorment.jpg
Size:  535.2 KBName:  rocky enviorment.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  403.5 KBName:  background cofféshop.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  314.8 KBName:  sketch2.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  281.3 KBName:  study view.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  409.6 KBName:  wasteland.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  491.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They where not uploaded in any order at all... help yourself people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you need to put in a lot more time into your paintings, none of these look anywhere finished, in fact they look as if you were in extreme hurry. Speedpaintings are a great practice, but only if you alternate with longer, more detailed works. In some of these you have just randomly scribbled some lines and blobs that don't add anything to the picture, just to give the appearance of details. The first one in particular is just, well, a gray wash of blurriness and messy lines.
    Use a much much smaller canvas (so it won't take you weeks to finish), and draw/paint until you can say with absolute certainty that you can not possibly make it any better than it is. And then do it all over again (:
    Do some faster/looser paintings as well, but try to stick to a small canvas for now, and avoid zooming in. Start with a big brush, and slowly work to a smaller one as you get into the details, this forum thread might be helpful.
    Also, use references! I'm guessing part of the reason you leave things so undefined is because you don't know how to actually properly paint them, so study photo's and the environments around you.
    It's good that you do a painting every day (I should be doing that as well ) but if you're serious about becoming a great artist you still have a long way to go, and it will take hours and hours of time and effort and frustration. But if you're willing to truly dedicate yourself, you're up to a great start (:

Last edited by Theeroos; January 29th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a beginner here myself, but I do agree with Theeroos about using references. Preferably drawing from real life. That way, you work on and build up solutions to real life problems and you can utilize these skills in more finished pieces in the future. No matter where you live, if it seems a boring place or not, there are always interesting things in this world to draw.

I do like your overall compositions and ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it!
    I've never doubted myself in digital painting. I know it's just to practise, practise & practise!
    I will have the things in mind next time I draw! Though I haven't been able to draw (digital paintings, I always make sketches & doodles anywhere any time) because I've been busy with school!
    I shall start as soon as I get the time.

Anyway, here's a picture of trying out colours a bit!
    Name:  Robot.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  267.0 KB

Members who have read this thread: 1