First Time Concept Artist - Snow Landscape
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: First Time Concept Artist - Snow Landscape

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile First Time Concept Artist - Snow Landscape

Hi everyone.

This is my first ever attempt at concept art so this one took a while even though it may not seem that way!
    My personal taste is the surreal sketchy kind of feel and I know every concept artist has their own way of doing stuff.
    Any critique on this piece would be great!

Name:  lost2.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  445.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mohq! First a basic thing. If you try to make a pice like that you should check out reference and deal with the subject matter that you try to paint. Do some photo studys and pay attention to color, detail, strukture and so on. Then think about size relationships in your pice. The man is huge. You also must be one hawkeye to see photsteps in the snow from that distance Also give a look at a photo of a snow-covered mountain. What colour do the shadows have? All in all I can just recommend you to do studys and check out some stuff about perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias Kinnigkeit View Post
    Hey mohq! First a basic thing. If you try to make a pice like that you should check out reference and deal with the subject matter that you try to paint. Do some photo studys and pay attention to color, detail, strukture and so on. Then think about size relationships in your pice. The man is huge. You also must be one hawkeye to see photsteps in the snow from that distance Also give a look at a photo of a snow-covered mountain. What colour do the shadows have? All in all I can just recommend you to do studys and check out some stuff about perspective.
    wow thanks for the advice!
    I did look at some reference here and there but I was trying to get a surreal/fantasy look to it. And i realize how big that guy is in there and the footsteps, would you know any references/where to look if I wanted to go for a surreal/fantasy feel rather than realistic? Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use bigger brushes, you're trying to render shape and form, not contours.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About composition man, your figure is put in nowhere of the image, not on any focal point here (search for rule of thirds), and the top of mountain is cropped in very weird way, it feels like missing since the cropping part of it is small and superficial.

<<<I R LUMINA R I>>>

How I eat pen everyday aka ma Sketchbook.

http://fxevo.blogspot.com/ The blog of city wanderer.
    Facebook: Duc. Truong Huyen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even if you want to go for a more surreal/fantasy look, but you want to get it somewhat readable you will have to use real life refernece and study the fundamentals. "you got to know the rules before you break the rules". There is no way around it Once you understand things (and this takes a lot of time) you will be able to change and transform things and your image will still read and be cool. Im sorry to say that but you actually miss a lot of understandment of fundamentals, but dont get discouraged! There are so many books and resources on the web about this stuff and when you seriously put effort you ll make progress soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The whole image is in almost the same value. Push mountains further and study other surreal artists to see how they approach.

Home of the Killer Concept Art Tutorials
    www.conceptartmasters.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias Kinnigkeit View Post
    Even if you want to go for a more surreal/fantasy look, but you want to get it somewhat readable you will have to use real life refernece and study the fundamentals. "you got to know the rules before you break the rules". There is no way around it Once you understand things (and this takes a lot of time) you will be able to change and transform things and your image will still read and be cool. Im sorry to say that but you actually miss a lot of understandment of fundamentals, but dont get discouraged! There are so many books and resources on the web about this stuff and when you seriously put effort you ll make progress soon.
    Thanks for the critique Matt!
    I think im gonna quit haah just joking! I need a LOT more practice that is for sure, and definitely need to study about this, thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 1