Leg trouble on my sketch
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Leg trouble on my sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Leg trouble on my sketch

Something's wrong with the legs and I am unable to fix it. (yes, I have a lot to learn)
    I think it's either balance or perspective?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Look, I updated my signature!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Perspective isn't really an issue with figure drawing, unless you're taking a flea's-eye-view and drawing the body like it's a giant landscape. Well, it is an issue -- finding your point of view and planting the feet and fitting your figure into the environment and so on -- but it's not usually where you go for answers when your figure doesn't look right.

The leg positions are a bit stiff and straight, and the back one might be a bit short. That might be what's bothering you -- the back leg looks too short to be taking weight. Are you drawing from reference? At this stage of your development, you should be.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what I like to do is look into my bathroom mirror (big so I can see my entire body) and just draw what i see also try really hard to understand what is actually going on. also it looks kinda like you made the elbow too low, i tried to fix that for you too, hopefully that helps

Name:  legs1.png
Views: 93
Size:  320.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When you begin drawing a figure, start with the basic proportions, get the big masses right - and don't draw clothes until you have at least the overall form right. Clothes are misleading.

As a tip: try to not work in "patches". I.e. don't paint the folds on the jacket when the head is still a shapeless blob. It's better to refine the whole picture from general to detail, than focus on one part and ignore the rest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Stoat - You're right. I guess I got stuck on this pose idea in my head... No, not from reference, though I'm looking at pictures of heads and clothes trying to figure out why mine suck. I do referenced studies though.

@Florgenstein - That's awesome. I even copied the arms you painted, but now it looks like I'm just trying to hide hands

@arenhaus - Solid advice, I'll make sure to remember it.

Oh man. I feel ashamed posting this. (but I'll learn more when not hiding away, I guess)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Look, I updated my signature!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.