Wacom Cintiq, to buy or not to buy?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wacom Cintiq, to buy or not to buy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Wacom Cintiq, to buy or not to buy?

Hey guys,

Im considering buying a wacom cintiq 24hd. I've been using an Intuos 4 medium for over a year, and find that I have difficulty with the hand eye coordination problem of not watching what I'm drawing. Drawing straight lines on paper and in my traditional sketches is no problem, when I come to paint digitally I often find I have difficulty drawing straight lines with it. I have put this down to using my wrist and not my arm to make my strokes. But with such a small space to draw in I don't have any choice.

Taking a look on the forums and a previous post on DA there are mixed reviews for the Cintiq. Most responses to the DA thread were 'it's not going to improve your art', which goes without saying. What I'm looking for is more comfort and ease in which to work, as well as to complement my skill level not hinder it.

I'm based in the UK, so it's quite difficult to try one before you buy but I'm going to be attending a trade show in Birmingham this March which should give me the opportunity to test one out.

Do you think your skill level should effect whether you buy one?
    If so, is my skill level at a stage that would be acceptable?

Is the 24HD worth it?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been a Wacom tablet user for at least 15 years (started with a Graphire and moved progressively up to the Intuos4 large). I was fairly used to the hand-eye disconnect that comes with a tablet. But last year, I took a leap of faith and purchased a Cintiq (mine is a 22hd).

It's been very worth it for me. Is my art better? I believe it is to a small extent. But the real benefit is that I now draw and paint on screen just like I do traditionally - by watching my hand and the marks I make on the surface. As far as I am concerned, THIS is the way digital painting should be done.

I'm in the process right now of selling off my Intuos4 Large, because I don't see myself ever returning to tablets.

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sigmadog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're probably like me, I look where I am going when I draw (from years of sign and vehicle painting). That is really hard to do with a tablet. I found the cintiq miraculous. It won't change your skill, but it saves you a lot of steps. no scanning, layering and redrawing. A lot of people are in love with the 24s stand, but I have to tell you, laying the 22 on it's back and being able to spin it however you need it to be is exactly like working on a 22" piece of illustration board. I was in love the minute I used it. After a few minutes I even forgot I was working digitally!
    The big time saver is being able to do backgrounds on a layer, people on another layer and being able to just drag them over if they're not right. awesome.
    Oh and a 22 is really like 25" or so it is a lot more massive than you think. a 24" is around 30 I believe!

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to philofmars For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most of my art has always been done on Tablet PCs. I had an Intuos 4 Large for the past few years....the whole hand/eye coordination thing I mastered years back on Intuos 3....but I still preferred drawing on-screen...so I seldom used my Intuos 4 and used my Tablet PCs for 95% of work.

Until early December I finally caved and plunked down and purchased a Cintiq 21ux. I could have bought a Cintiq years back....but the high $2000+ price tag always made it hard to actually go and do. I travel leisurely alot....and the price of a Cintiq can easily be put towards a trip to Europe or something.

I got it now because the 21ux Model is getting nearly impossible to find since they re-freshed it with the 22 inch model. The 21 model uses a 3/4 Ratio which I always loved...but the 22 now uses a 16:9........since Wacom and nearly every Tablet PC vendors are only really released 16:9 (even 16:10 is on its way out) ....I really wanted to snag the 3/4 21ux while I still could.

I found it on Macmall .....technically a Refurbished model ...for $1599. (it arrived in Mint Condition, not a single scratch or dead pixel) And the best part was that they didn't charge Shipping....or tax oddly. The Total cost came to $1599 exact. 20% off made it easier to take the plunge.

Having had it for almost 2 months now........my only regret is not getting this years ago.

I'm using my Cintiq far more then I ever used my Intuos. I'm up till 4-5am almost every night just working on it. The only drawback is that it killed my sleep schedule.

One benefit of it I didn't initially foresee....was the luxury of having a dual monitor set-up.....I never really bothered to try it earlier....but its makes the whole process so much efficient. I can throw Reference Photos on the 2nd monitor behind the Cintiq....or play movies on my computer while not getting in the way of drawing, or having to minimize the program I'm working on.

That coupled with just drawing on-screen....on a big screen has made my Cintiq so invaluable to me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys, it certainly seems that the Cintiq could be the change I'm looking for!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just go for it.
    You won't regret it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Papaya_Pig View Post
    Hey guys,

Im considering buying a wacom cintiq 24hd. I've been using an Intuos 4 medium for over a year, and find that I have difficulty with the hand eye coordination problem of not watching what I'm drawing. Drawing straight lines on paper and in my traditional sketches is no problem, when I come to paint digitally I often find I have difficulty drawing straight lines with it. I have put this down to using my wrist and not my arm to make my strokes. But with such a small space to draw in I don't have any choice.

Taking a look on the forums and a previous post on DA there are mixed reviews for the Cintiq. Most responses to the DA thread were 'it's not going to improve your art', which goes without saying. What I'm looking for is more comfort and ease in which to work, as well as to complement my skill level not hinder it.

I'm based in the UK, so it's quite difficult to try one before you buy but I'm going to be attending a trade show in Birmingham this March which should give me the opportunity to test one out.

Do you think your skill level should effect whether you buy one?
    If so, is my skill level at a stage that would be acceptable?

Is the 24HD worth it?
    If you can comfortably afford it (ie, won't put you and your family in a tough spot), and you LOVE to do art, why wait? the 24HD is a beautiful beautiful machine. I have one and it's beyond fantastic. Check back through my sketchbook; I sort of did a custom mod to it as well to make up for the lack of hot keys available (which I think is the only downside to the 24HD).

Again, if money is no object, this thing will not disappoint. Personally, my painting skill has definitely increased since I got it; that may only be the case because I am painting so much more now

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 2