Sketchbook: some peace - daily sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: some peace - daily sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some peace - daily sketchbook

Whelp,

I've decided I need to really buckle down and start working on my art if I'm serious about pursuing a future in scientific/medical illustration. It'll be a haul but I believe I can get there as long as I keep working. Biggest things to work on are color and anatomy in both digital and traditional mediums. I'm not going to attempt traditional painting as of yet (college student = limited funds) but digital wouldn't hurt me to learn.

My goal is to post something everyday, even if it's small. I'm in college so I've got things I gotta do, but if art's important to me than I'll just have to make time for it. I'm hoping this thread/forum will help me keep on track as far as my resolutions go.

Anyways to start off here's some work from 2012:
    The last is a reductive linoleum relief that I did for the 2nd to last project of 2-D Design last semester. References used for most of the work with the exception of the two standing wolves or the relief though. Sorry for the fuzziness on the shaded sabre skull. My camera doesn't take the best pictures sometimes.

2013 work'll start with the next post.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Invocat; January 28th, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2013 work:
    The first is my latest realism attempt. I'm still waiting on my white gel pen to come in so I can do the whiskers so please ignore that for now ahaha
    The next couple are gesture drawings of a 1-2 mins each. And some freehanded dragons. The last couple pictures are of the same bristol bookmark and it's a wip for now.

EDIT:: and yeah for the next post I'll resize things a lot better o.O wasn't expecting them to be so huge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whelp this is all I managed today. Kept getting distracted.
    I'll try to more tomorrow.

First foray into environments, color and digital painting all wrapped into one .x.
    20 min speedpaint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    two 30min speedpaints today.
    did these from my mind so they're probably off in some ways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next time you do a speed paint try using a reference and paint in gray scale.

I think the beach speed paint could use some clarity on the perspective and the forest speed paint could use some better value separation. Focusing on gray scale will help with the values in your future paintings.

For presentations sake you may want to take those sketches on lined paper into your digital program of choice and do a hue/saturation. Change the drop down from master to cyan and then take the brightness/value slider as white as needed in order to remove the lines.

How are you liking digital so far?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lectriece For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh that's a good idea. I hadn't thought about doing one in grey scale. I'll do that tomorrow for sure!
    Yeah the perspective on the beach one is off. I saw that when I posted it, but wasn't sure how to remedy it so I'll just give it another shot tomorrow.

And the hue/saturation worked out relatively well. Some of the lines are still there but thanks!

Digital is weird ahaha it's odd not to be able to feel the pencil on the paper and look at the surface as I draw on it like you can with traditional. It's hard to achieve the same ability to blend values into one another that graphite has, but I'm guessing that'll come with practice perhaps? Overall it's okay; just very different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It felt really strange working with the tablet at first for me, but it gets easier to use over time. It's sort of like drawing with an easel from life, you aren't always watching your paper, you are looking at the subject more- when you think of it like that it may be a bit easier to do. Really you just gotta get used to the tablet, digital tends to have a lot more flexibility than traditional. There are some nice tutorials about blending around by pros, you may want to look into them if you are struggling. For the most part though, I think it will just help to focus on it until you get it (I wish I had taken this approach when I was first learning). Try a really simple study with a fully opaque brush (like a lit sphere or an apple), it might help, even if it's quick.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lectriece For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's a shot at blending colors on an apple . . . not sure how it turned out.
    I need to try that opaque brush thing though. Didn't get to a greyscale landscape tonight. Too much college homework good lord.
    And yeah I get what you mean it being like working on an easel. I've just started doing that too though ahaha but you do have some very good advice and I'll try to put it to use. Thank you very much!

EDIT:: to be honest I think my biggest hang up in trying to do this is I'm very much a perfectionist and the control that graphite has is something I love. Trying to do painting of any form (let alone digital) is by a large portion much less exact. I struggle with the idea of just letting things be and I lack the knowledge of how much rendering is too much or too little because I'm used to observational stuff which is very very straightforward in the idea is making it look as realistic as you can. If anyone can give me tips or even link to a "how to get started" or whatever I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's some recent stuff from my drawing 1 class. The bird is a random mind doodle, while the skull and other objects is an observational drawing. Both are done in charcoal.

Last edited by Invocat; January 29th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.