Kick in the Art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Kick in the Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kick in the Art

So, I'm trying to get back into drawing. Since I haven't been going to school for a while, I haven't really been drawing a lot. I use to draw almost daily, usually in the time where I was suppose to be doing other things, like maths, social studies, or English. Since I am currently not going to school, however, the internet and video games, as well as a bit of role-playing here and there, has pretty much destroyed my drive to draw.

At the moment, I am trying to work on quick sketching. I am trying to deviate away from throwing down a circle here and there before going to work on the 'finished product', to have soft lines that can be easily alter as opposed to going over lines several times right off the bat to make them harder. As well, I am working on my animal anatomy, since as is it's, well, terrible.

Now, I am making this thread so that people can bounce ideas off of me, since I find that drawing the suggestions of others to be far easier than searching the vast caverns and crevices of my own imagination. I've picked out some of the C.O.W.s that I liked to do with my boyfriend, but I'd like some other options to be available since I am going to be going through them one by one with him, and trying to come out with something a bit more complete.

Unfortunately, there will be no way to post the things I draw, due to my scanner being at my Dads place and none of my art programs working(Or at least not working without a lot of hassle) with our current operating system, rendering my tablet near useless to me. To that end, I won't be able to feed off of critiques from other members until one of the two problems is solved.

At any rate, I would be grateful if you were to bounce ideas at me, direct me to some good sites for animal stock, or other such nifty things!

"Who doesn't want to be Johnny Gat?"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Go out in a park. Draw people, animals, plants and objects around you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://1000thingstodraw.com/

Also, if you don't have a scanner, you can always use a camera or your phone's camera. Just make sure the lighting's ok.

For a database of pics, I just go to flickr, search for whatever I want and usually I'm pretty succesful. You can use the program XNview to put together your own timed slideshows and such, once you've found pics you like, so it's worth checking out.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Arenhaus

That's a summer activity where I live, we get a lot of rain here the rest of the year. Hoorah temperate rainforest.

@Ebi

1000 Things to Draw is... Interesting.

We don't have any cameras, either |D

As for Flickr, I'll definitely check it out c:

"Who doesn't want to be Johnny Gat?"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellite View Post
    Now, I am making this thread so that people can bounce ideas off of me, since I find that drawing the suggestions of others to be far easier than searching the vast caverns and crevices of my own imagination.
    Yeah it's easier but is it better? While you've been gaming your imagination got just as little exercise as your drawing muscles. Prod it in the butt with a stick and think of something to draw. Even if you just do theme lists you found on the Internet... at least you had to rouse your brain enough to Google for them. Finding ideas is a skill. It's an important skill. If you offload it onto other people, it'll just continue to sit there and rust.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry but...if you have to ask this kind of question there isn't much point. Art is not a group activity. What I'm getting at is just do it. All I see are excuses in your op and the idea of trying to get back into drawing? There is no try...there is only do.(Yoda)

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "I've been trying to get back into shape, but I don't exercise"

"I've been trying to eat healthy, but don't eat healthy foods"

Trying is not doing

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is pointless.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1