IDW # 226: The Emperor's Imperial Traveling Library Carts - VOTING!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • AdamStolterman

1 8.33%
  • MrFenik

6 50.00%
  • Anthis

5 41.67%
    Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IDW # 226: The Emperor's Imperial Traveling Library Carts - VOTING!

-----------------------------------
    IDW # 226 Topic: The Emperor's Imperial Traveling Library Carts
    Deadline for voting: Tuesday, February 5
    No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!
    -----------------------------------

Original thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...-Library-Carts

Last edited by Pixie Trick; January 29th, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Imperial Cloud of Knowledge

To the people of the Windless Valley, the thought of using the wheel for means of transportation would be seen as a joke. In the land where the ground is covered by spiky rocks and deep cracks as far as the eye can see, the air has always been the choice for travel. Moving anything heavy a long distance is always a hard and avoided if possible. So when the impressive floating library, the "Imperial Cloud of Knowledge", as the Emperor called it, was sent out through the valley, it was seen by the people as a blatant publicity stunt. Since there is no wind the balloons have to be pulled by the Mountain Elephants to move forward. People walk along side the library cart and steer it by pulling on the ropes that hang along the sides.

Any critique is very welcome! I am here to learn! Thank you!
    If you are interested please take a look:
    My website!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamStolterman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In a world of warring empires, and at the dawn of an enlightened era, Emperor Tum'andik of the S'janik is the first in the race to bring centuries of written, sacred knowledge to his people. With hopes of creating a technological society capable of dominating his hostile neighbors, he has spared no expense at creating his traveling library carts. Each main cart is capable of storing hundreds of shelved books, easily accessible for the clerks who travel along with the carts for their dispense to the public. However, should something be requested that isn't readily available, the numerous containers that the secondary, storage carts carry house thousands of works. The carts can easily be hooked up to carriage for accompanied travel, yet because of their size they take quite some time to navigate from one village to the next.

Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 637 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Seeking prosperity for his subjects, the emperor decided that all should be literate. In his grandeur, he ordered the construction of traveling libraries that could visit all towns and cities. Both in- and outside, its walls are stockpiled with copies of the imperial library's books. Canvas sheets protect against wind and rain while the library carts traverse the country. Entire caravans of such ornate library carts would spread intellectual enlightenment and display the emperors generous intent for all to see.

Name:  IDW226_EmperorsImperialTravelingLibraryCart_Anthis.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  218.5 KB

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 637 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see we got such variation in just these 3 entries. I'll keep a close watch on the new topics.
    Here's some thoughts/critique;

AdamStolterman - I like yours a great deal conceptually. Personally I was thinking of 'carts' in a more literal sense, so it's good to see a balloon. The elephant is a nice touch as well and your background text is very fitting. I think there is quite some contrast between the areas that are well rendered (like the bookshelves and the fireplace above) and the areas that could use some work (like the ground and the balloon itself). When you have big differences like that, you can't help but notice that those areas were done quickly. Nice and clever design though!
    MrFrenik - When I saw your first sketches I was wondering how you would pull that off, but you were very quick to create refined lineart and present it nicely. Your cart has a striking shape and a crazy viewpoint/perspective. You did a subtle job with the shadows in the end so it does look finished to me. I think the only thing lacking is some sort of function to your design. It feels like the smaller containers should be able to move around? But they seem to be fixed in place. Is the shape for promotional purposes? Either way, I love good linework- looking forward to seeing you more often around here!

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.