Mewiyev Art: Portfolio/General Advice
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mewiyev Art: Portfolio/General Advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mewiyev Art: Portfolio/General Advice

First: apologies if I've posted this in an appropriate area, but as my entire portfolio feels like a step towards completion rather than the end product, it seemed appropriate.

What I'm looking for here is less of a "how can I make this one particular picture better" and more of a "where I should be looking to improve my art as a whole and what kinds of pitfalls do you notice?" I beg you to visit my website and give what critique you can (both on my work and perhaps the website itself, I'm not much a web designer), but if that's not possible, I'll also include some of my works at the bottom.

I don't mind if you have anything in particular to point out about a piece, but I would appreciate some general advice geared in my direction. I'm a concept art hopeful! Working in the game industry is my absolute dream. I've been applying for internships but I'm not sure I am yet worthy or skilled enough, seeing as how competitive it can be.

All I can do is try my best. Thanks in advance for your help.

( Click to show/hide )

Title screen for a game.

Practicing using different colors in painting.

Sorry for the poor quality on this! School assignment.

Playing with superhero design.

More character design/posing.

Character design turned into "let me make this into a guy with a really crappy cave environment"

Super quick paint/sketch of Zappa.

Lucia of the Fire Emblem games, trying to develop a less digital-looking style here for a project I'm working on.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm definitely not a professional artist or anything but from looking at your site it seems, at least in the illustration/concept art area, that you have a bit of a problem bringing pieces to completion. I couldn't find one piece that looked finished. Some were just rough sketches with splashes of paint thrown on top. I would think that you would never want to have a bunch of unfinished work in your portfolio. Your portfolio should consist of the very best work that you have to offer. You don't want to have like 100 mediocre pictures. I imagine you want to have like 10-15 (or even less) totally awesome pictures that show what you can do.

You're going to have to be your own biggest critic as well. You have to step outside of yourself and see your work for what it is. You can't just put something that looks bad in your portfolio because it took you a long time or you're emotionally connected to it. You have to develop your eye. Look at what working concept artists are doing and compare it to your own work and honestly compare it when you do.

I would say that you have a lot of work to do if you want to become employed as a concept artist for games. You need to diversify your portfolio. Landscapes , vehicles, different styled characters, props of some sort. If you can only draw one style of character then its going to really limit your employment opportunities.

You need to be a lot less abstract too. I don't even know whats going on in some of your work. You should probably start with the basics of form, composition, perspective, lighting.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but you really do have a lot of work to do before calling your portfolio finished.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cfhd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, your response was exactly what I was looking for, actually. I really needed some honesty because all I ever get from people is either: "you're fine," or "practice more," vague advice, so I tried to be more direct about what I wanted to know. I especially appreciate what you said about being less abstract, that's something I never even picked out about my own work, but now that I look at it, it's surprisingly true. I'll actually go in and delete some of the more obviously unfinished looking ones, since this is supposed to be my portfolio.

I think looking at other concept artists with a direct mind for comparison may help too--for so long I've kind of just did what interested me in a fine art manner, but now I'm becoming interested in tailoring my portfolio a specific way. I've probably focused on characters (all of the same type, as you said, I'm so animu) for far too long.

But yes, I am aware that my portfolio is not finished. Perhaps I could benefit from starting a sketchbook thread and creating some pieces actually worth finishing.

I do wonder, >
    ( Click to show/hide )
    < is one of my most finished looking (in my opinion) to date. Does anyone have any pointers on where else I can go with it, or fix?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're fine; practice more

Seriously, you show plenty of promise. You're lacking the maturity that you will have when you...do a whole bunch more of this.

If you want more precise critique, try posting a single image (especially if you're dissatisfied with it and you aren't sure why). Multiple images often don't draw much in the way of useful comment in this subforum.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    You're fine; practice more

Seriously, you show plenty of promise. You're lacking the maturity that you will have when you...do a whole bunch more of this.

If you want more precise critique, try posting a single image (especially if you're dissatisfied with it and you aren't sure why). Multiple images often don't draw much in the way of useful comment in this subforum.
    Haha~

But thank you, good positivity and good vibes, hopefully I'll get there with practice. General critique was wanted anyway. I did post a single image that I wanted some more specific stuff on, so I'll post it again without spoilers now

What can I do to make this image look more finished?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you join the COMMUNITY-ACTIVITIES and try out the various areas. Treat them as real jobs and push yourself to finish them. Use these forum to help sharpen your focus.

For the majority of your images - less 'style' more content. I'd be much happier seeing good solid anatomy/form/value than a half drawn figure splashed with a photoshop brush.

As for your website - I'm using a 21' screen and I have to scroll to see your images - some are too big, resize them.
    I'm not on a slow connection but I really dislike the loading of pictures every couple of images. This is probably image size I guess, I'm not tech savvy so I'm not sure how to fix it.

There's a lot of 'illustration', not a bad thing, but you need to expand your repertoire (lets see some environments, some vehicles, weapon or costume design) << back to the community activity section.

Apart from that keep pushing at it. The more you want something the more you'll work at it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.