wip school assignment: necromancer chariot
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: wip school assignment: necromancer chariot

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip school assignment: necromancer chariot

So, for my finals of first term I have to make a necromancer chariot, I would like to be certain if my light is correct before getting further and starting detailing
    tnx

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To guarantee a good grade you will need the following:

0. Research material. Its very important before you begin and during theproject to grab reference material, for everything to do with the project. This adds realism and increases speed, and you should show you research on a large sheet.

1. Thumbnail sketches. Maybe 10 or 15 very small fast sketches exploring the same concept but trying different arraqngements of componants, to find the most interesting version, and demonstrate your thought process to the tutor.

2. More detailed sketches. You have 1 of these. You also need to show the reverse angle, at a minimum, and preferably detail shots showing interesting areas in more detail.

3. Glamour shots, rendered. Larger versions of the best sketches, with the details finalised and everything given lots of polish.

4. Orthographic, ie front, side top and back views.

Name:  pacific-motors-presentation-copy2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  403.9 KB

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 25th, 2013 at 07:17 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for this info! Well about most things u mentioned here. We need to show our progress on different A3 sheets. So first page is ref (so I got my ref about materials and studies on the mechanics), thumbnails (silhouet design, pp design, shading), model and production sheet and final line art and paint.

The only thing I have is some difficulties with the light sometimes, so to avoid mistakes in it, I post my final line design with a basic shading on it (this took maybe 30 min)

But again very very good info u gave me, thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no problem!

for a design sketch, where you want to show the forms, choose a very simple view and also a simple lighting convention. say that above is light, below is dark. dont worry about reflections or bounce lights or anything, just render it in the simplest most obvious way you can. imagine someone might have to model this object, can he or she see exactly how each object exists in 3d space? if yes, youre doing it right! good luck!

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 25th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry, i just realised i used the wrong words there which make it confusing. in a sketch, do anything you like to get your design down.
    later when you want to show its forms, thats when you use the simple lighting convention and so on. sorry for the confusin.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking sweet. where do you sit tho? theres a lot of stuff going on in there but its hard to resolve anything like a seat or drivng position. is hard to figure out what any of the details are actually; i can see wheels, a lantern, a sheet to keep the sun off and a giant skull. the rest, im not sure what im looking at. also does the gibbet thing on the front need to be that massively reinforced just to hold a small lantern?
    so id say well drawn, but visually confusing to the max.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the rendering itself is alright, but imma have to side with VK on the design aspects themselves. for me, there's just waaaaay too much going on. i can't make out how exactly it functions. did you do any thumbnails at all? i think a good design needs a strong and recognizable silhouette, and here, the silhouette is made overly intricate with random components randomly sticking out all over the place.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iambanana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea well my teacher chose the silhouette (1 out of about 50-75) and after few stuff changing he agreed on this type of desing, but indeed some confusing stuff I had to give an explanation with my bad... So for the view he's able to stand under the sheet and since it's an necro he's using a summoned minion to pull the thing. Also we had to use some aspects from graveyards so I thought of the thing where they hung up people but we weren't allowed to draw figures so he said use some type of lantern instead. To finish off the more decorated part in the back is the place the necro is able to sit inside wich was also a must of the assignment.

@ VK and iambanana Thank you for the help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the rendering. The arch(*) on it with the fabric(*) hanging off it seems a little out of place and unfinished, the lighting on it doesn't seem consistent with the rest of it. It also blocks off the view for inside the chariot and the view of the whole piece in general, which might have helped being able to see how the chariot functions, where to sit etc. Just my opinion, I like it though.

*Not sure if that is what it is

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Aceoko For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1