I'm new to concept art - here are some samples for critique
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm new to concept art - here are some samples for critique

Hi All

I have been wanting to do concept art for a long time now. I bought an iPad about 1 month ago, and for the last 3 weeks I have been drawing/sketching on it. I am mostly using Sketchbook Pro and Paper (by 53). I have never drawn digitally before, and I have been formally trained as an illustrator or artist. Anyway here are my last 3 drawings. Feedback welcome.

Concept Art - Quar Building by G..2.., on Flickr

Concept Sketch - Steampunk Submersible by G..2.., on Flickr

Monster or Machine by G..2.., on Flickr

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello gee.two-perspective is something you should focus on if you plan to get better at drawing- in all of the 3 drawing there are problems with that(it is unclear whether the horizon is in realation
    to the figures and they do not seem to have any weight to them due to poor construction)-practice your drawing fundamentals-perspective,value,drawing from observation.
    also concept art is about design- if you want to design better you have to understand the principles of design-there are many free sites (such ctrl.paint) that you can visit and learn.
    goodl luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks GrayPersona. Some really great advice there. I have visited ctrl.paint and I have watched heaps of vids. I'm planning on purchasing some of their stuff to watch. I have touched up one of my designs, concentrating on improving the "value", and I have also overplayed a texture map, which I have learnt by watching more videos over on YouTube. All i currently own which i can draw digitally is my iPad and a basic stylus. I don't own any graphics tablets, like a Wacom Intuos - yet!

Oh, I nearly forgot, here is the revised image.

Monster or Machine - improved by G..2.., on Flickr

Members who have read this thread: 1