Art: Matt's Still Lifes + Figures
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Matt's Still Lifes + Figures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Matt's Still Lifes + Figures

I've finally attended my first couple of groups for live model drawing. I'll be posting in here whenever I attend these. Same with any still life studies I may do. I'll probably pick up my oils when I do the still life studies.

Thanks for looking. Any critique is welcome. I am here to learn. I am especially bad at the quick gestural drawings, so any advice there would be great. These last 2 groups I've been to had 2 minute intervals as the quickest sketches.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    -I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, You said you struggle with gestures, I might suggest a few things; when looking at the model or subject your attempting to draw dont get lost looking at details of shadows and light, but look at the over all general shapes, make confident desicions with your lines to try and capture the motion or "gesture" of the model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Joe View Post
    Hello, You said you struggle with gestures, I might suggest a few things; when looking at the model or subject your attempting to draw dont get lost looking at details of shadows and light, but look at the over all general shapes, make confident desicions with your lines to try and capture the motion or "gesture" of the model.
    Thanks for the reply Mr. Joe.

In terms of how I should put down my lines, how do I relate that to capturing the motion or "gesture"?

One person at my drawing group suggested to see the spine first, the way it curves, and then construct outward from there.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sunday morning figure drawing group. I am having so much fun with this. It's almost become addicting! Although, I never thought I'd be saying this....I am kind of looking forward to a male model! It's been all females so far, and, while they are nice to look at, I am ready to start getting more acquainted with the male form.

Most of these were 2-5 minute poses. The big one was 60 minutes.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still doing 1-2 4 hour figure drawing classes each week. Here's some stuff from the last couple of weeks. I am hoping to get into some digital plein air and some still lifes over the next couple of months.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again,
    In terms of how I should put down my lines, how do I relate that to capturing the motion or "gesture"?
    Thats a good question, I can't fully answer it but I can try to help;

Seeing the spine first and constructing from there can be one method, but also you can approach a gesture as not something you need to construct, but questions you might have to ask yourself as you are trying to capture the gesture on paper with your pencil or what ever material your using.

Questions like, what is this "character" doing?, Is he or she talking, walking, jogging, jumping, what does his or her body express as an emotion, how can I convey this expression or physical gesture with simple shapes like squares circles, ovals.

How big or how small is this oval / circle / square, simple shape in relation to this other shape,

Is he or she expanding or clenching up ready to explode,

You only have a minute or two to get alot of questions down on paper with a pencil or charcoal or what ever medium your using so it also has to do with your comfort level with the materials your working with and knowledge of shapes and forms.

Sometimes its best just not to think and draw what you see in front of you starting as simple as possible and adding from there.

It also helps to study anatomy to know what you are seeing, it makes it easier to simplify the structure.

I hope some of this helps. Keep practicing, best of luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Joe View Post
    Hi again,

Thats a good question, I can't fully answer it but I can try to help;

Seeing the spine first and constructing from there can be one method, but also you can approach a gesture as not something you need to construct, but questions you might have to ask yourself as you are trying to capture the gesture on paper with your pencil or what ever material your using.

Questions like, what is this "character" doing?, Is he or she talking, walking, jogging, jumping, what does his or her body express as an emotion, how can I convey this expression or physical gesture with simple shapes like squares circles, ovals.

How big or how small is this oval / circle / square, simple shape in relation to this other shape,

Is he or she expanding or clenching up ready to explode,

You only have a minute or two to get alot of questions down on paper with a pencil or charcoal or what ever medium your using so it also has to do with your comfort level with the materials your working with and knowledge of shapes and forms.

Sometimes its best just not to think and draw what you see in front of you starting as simple as possible and adding from there.

It also helps to study anatomy to know what you are seeing, it makes it easier to simplify the structure.

I hope some of this helps. Keep practicing, best of luck.
    Thanks Joe, you helped a lot. I was sort of aware of a few of the things you mentioned there, but you have brought full clarity to those points (and others). I will focus on these next time around.

Thanks again!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! Great variety in approaches. Very mannerist at times!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adam: thanks!

I haven't been to my figure drawing group in a couple of weeks. Getting back into the groove of things again.

Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.