Lop-eared Asura WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lop-eared Asura WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lop-eared Asura WIP

Hey there good people of Conceptart.org

Someone commissioned me to paint her asura character in Guild Wars 2, and since I only recently started exploring digital painting and this is the first time I'm being paid to draw, I would like to ask for some advice from people more experienced than I am. I'm putting more time and effort in this piece than I do when I'm messing around on my own, both for her sake and for, y'know, exceeding my own boundaries or whatever.

Here's my sketch so far and a quick messy coloring to make it easier for you and me to see what's supposed to be what. It's somewhat challenging to try keep the characteristic anatomy of the asuras intact.
    The thing I'm least satisfied about is her left hand/arm (to the viewer's right). I spent almost a quarter of my time so far on trying to find a pose for the hand that works (the four fingers per hand thing didn't exactly help either ), and I'm still not too content.

Name:  2013-01-24 Lop-eared Asura WIP4a (4h).png
Views: 74
Size:  248.3 KBName:  2013-01-24 Lop-eared Asura WIP4b (4h).png
Views: 140
Size:  242.9 KB

By the way, the lines in the face for the nose bridge and brow, the eyelids, and the cheek are guidelines, not sharp edges.

Anyway, if (or rather when) you find anything I could correct before sinking time into painting, please let me know

Last edited by Raizin; January 24th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The helmet looks odd, refer to the attached image and compare, it looks like the helmet is lop-sided and/or smashed in on the right side.

Name:  asura_fix.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  52.8 KB

I think the right arm is fine, the left one I'd reconsider... Try and pose as the Asura, it seems awkward to me.

Let me know what you think, looks good!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBullion24K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darnit, I edited an attachment error and a minor typo, and my opening post is being queued for moderation again due to one tiny hotlink. :< For the time being, I'll put the attached images from the OP here:

Name:  2013-01-24 Lop-eared Asura WIP4a (4h).png
Views: 107
Size:  248.3 KBName:  2013-01-24 Lop-eared Asura WIP4b (4h).png
Views: 108
Size:  242.9 KB

Minor inconveniences aside...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBullion24K View Post
    The helmet looks odd, refer to the attached image and compare, it looks like the helmet is lop-sided and/or smashed in on the right side.
    Ah, good catch. I was using two screenshots from similar but different angles, but it seems I didn't translate it over to this angle properly. Guess my perspective could use some polish.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBullion24K View Post
    I think the right arm is fine, the left one I'd reconsider... Try and pose as the Asura, it seems awkward to me.
    Myeah, now I took a break and look at it with fresher eyes I think I see what you mean. By the way, here are hand/arm variations I drew earlier. I guess it would have been better to go with pose number 3 instead of 4.

Name:  Asura arms.png
Views: 142
Size:  221.0 KB

Also, I just noticed compared to the example image from the GW2 wiki I linked that the proportion between the lower and upper right arm is way off. For asura standards anyway. I feel the whole arm is a bit too long compared to the the body, too. And while I'm at it, the left arm seems a bit too short compared to the body and the other arm as well. I'll have to add those to the list of things to fix tomorrow, along with the helmet.

Name:  Asura interarm proportions.png
Views: 114
Size:  211.0 KB

Either way, thanks for your honest input, TheBullion24K. It's much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great post... I think you went with the right decision for the hand pose, it's different and adds character. I'll try to be a little more specific about the Asura's right arm; It's extended forward and seems awkward unless she's resting onto something (a staff?). My opinion would be to put that hand on her waist or resting on the top of her thigh.

Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.