Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Nice pencils you got there

My Sketchbook )

Criticism much appreciated
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Bought a 0.3 mechanical pencil today and am going to try and step up my pencils, soo comfortable having it so thin and neat

Question: I feel that somehow using reference for my drawings is ''cheating'' and people say its the best thing you can do to improve to just draw and draw alot from reference, anyone had this feeling?
    Anyway No ref on this one

Did this after watching a video by Marko Djurdjevic where talks about lines and pencils and such.
    Name:  Scan0036 (607x800).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  159.0 KB

Last edited by Avon; September 2nd, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
    My Sketchbook
    Crits and help of any kind are more than welcome!

Thanks
    Tried to block in the basic color palette but the colors are way too saturated, doesn't really look too good yet but hopefully I'll be able to complete this one

Need to do way more work on this, slow progress is better than no progress I guess

Name:  Character 02 color test (533x800).jpg
Views: 161
Size:  148.0 KB

Last edited by Avon; September 3rd, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon View Post
    Bought a 0.3 mechanical pencil today and am going to try and step up my pencils, soo comfortable having it so thin and neat

Question: I feel that somehow using reference for my drawings is ''cheating'' and people say its the best thing you can do to improve to just draw and draw alot from reference, anyone had this feeling?
    Anyway No ref on this one

Did this after watching a video by Marko Djurdjevic where talks about lines and pencils and such.
    Using a reference to clarify anatomy, help work out problems - that's standard - not cheating at all.
    If your doing studies, you can go nuts, everything short of tracing is good- and tracing is even good for checking your work.

The only time it's "cheating" is when it's plagiarism.
    Reference is good.
    Reference from life is better.
    Having an attractive assistant with great anatomy that you can use for reference is best ;D

Thanks
    Rhubix : Ah that clears up alot of debates I have with myself haha. Thanks for replying to my question!

So I discovered I was grossly incompetent at painting faces especially female so the character piece is set on hold for the moment as I want to finish it rather than calling it unfinished and never touching it again.
    Meanwhile, studies. Which will be posted up tomorrow. its 12 here and I still have some work to do on it D:

Anyway here's a WIP of the piece and as you can see I really havent made any drastic changes really, spent too much time just tweaking mostly unneccessary things and such.

Name:  Female Watermage WIP 3 (683x1024).jpg
Views: 160
Size:  183.7 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Female portrait study that I didn't really finish properly, took longer than it should have and made many mistakes that I can benefit from and apply to future pieces I guess.
    First portrait painting I've done as can be seen haha, more to come soon.

Name:  Portrait study 01 (708x800).jpg
Views: 157
Size:  156.2 KB

Last edited by Avon; September 5th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey! good job so far, you seem to apply yourself which is good, lot of stuff from imagination i like that.
    However if you really want to push your drawings to the next level you MUST learn anatomy, i know it's something people are reluctant to do but it's the very important. Then you can apply it on ALL your drawings from imagination, isn't that awesome ? lol
    So yeah really study from bridgman, loomis ect, it's great reference in there, and then try to draw from life with what you learned in mind you will see amazing improvement.
    Another thing with your last portrait study (really good for the first one by the way) imo you just need to redraw her right eye (bigger and longer), the rest seems to fall into place correctly.

One last thing about your paintings, it's about something called consistent lighting. Your lighting is really approximate and don't always follow the shapes of the body. When you will have a better understanding of anatomy it should become more consistent but i figured since i am here i might as well point that out.

That's it hope it helped, i am not the most skilled artist out there but this is my little grain of salt.

Don't forget to have fun when you're drawing, don't force yourself too much ( a little is good, to go out of your comfort zone )

Take care and keep posting!
    Alex.

My Sketchbook
    My Sketchblog
    My Broadcast Music for the soul.
    My Gimme Bar Inspiration Board, Check It!

Thanks
    nice stuff. keep working on giving the figures some form and work on your anatomy as well, anyways hope you start updating more frequently too!

Thanks
    Awesome portrait! Keep on posting

My Sketchbook )

Criticism much appreciated

Thanks
    Keep doing those sketches, and consult some tutorials on the body.
    I like that last face, really shows you are improving.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 903 Posts
    Wow! Fourteen? I think your amazing, I've had students twice your age struggling to be were you are at now, so good job. Keep up your anatomy and life drawing it's paying off.
    cheers
    Mike

Thanks
    You probably want to be great as soon as possible, a mutual feeling but you've already improved since the beginning of the year. If you keep it up and continue with some of the hard stuff like anatomy and drawing/painting for life, I think in a couple of years you'll be amazed at where you've got to!
    Keep at it!

May Strength Be Kind and Courage Gentle
    Princes of the Universe

Thanks
    Alex : Thanks for taking the time to write that
    I'm planning on doing some anatomy studies soon,
    I should already have done more of them since the improvement you notice right away is crazy, really should.
    And I'm still a bit new to lighting and rendering so I guess I will tighten up my values and keep in mind to let it follow the form, thanks for that

Kevin: Thanks! My figures sometimes turn out a bit disproportionate and weird sometimes but that just means I have to do more, thanks for the advice And I am going to try to update daily but sometimes I have those days where nothing I do is good :/

Woodkid : Thanks!

Resistance Fox : Thanks!, My figures need a lot of work at the moment

Mike Butkus : Thank you so much! I'm such a big fan of your work and your comment made my week, even month!
    Plan on buying your books when I get the funds

I'm 15 now this year if anyone was wondering

Bruce Yeah with all the amazing stuff on the internet I can just never improve fast enough for my standards haha.
    Thanks!

Had a bad art day yesterday where I just could not seem to get anything right or looking the way I wanted so I could not update

So keeping on with the portrait studies, this one did not turn out well in my opinion, correct placement and alignment of features is something I struggle with but I learned alot
    But you gotta make mistakes to improve

And the second thing is me messing around with some markers, not sure if its worth an upload but I can always take it down

Name:  Portrait study 02 (652x800).jpg
Views: 140
Size:  133.2 KB

Attachment 1826820

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Sketchbook

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7