Sketchbook: Avon's Sketchbook - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AdrianNagorski : Thanks! I'm actually hoping to detail her a bit and push this to a finished state. But thanks for the advice

So I've been struggling alot with the digital WIP I posted up last time and I'm starting to see just how much I have to learn.
    Rendering the armor is one of the things Im having a really hard time doing.
    So I've been working on it, tweaking some things and changed the size of the character and some background adjustment but not much progress in terms of the character itself but I'm just going to take my time with this and try to get it done.
    Is amazing how easy it is to procrastinate when your facing a challenge haha

If anyone has time for a paintover or some quick advice on how to render different materials I would be so grateful.

Also some pencils, some quick Loomis studies and a silly character applying those studies
    And a crappy WIP of the character

Name:  Scan0048 (566x800).jpg
Views: 223
Size:  171.8 KB
    Name:  Scan0047 (515x800).jpg
Views: 219
Size:  167.2 KB
    Name:  Scan0046 (454x800).jpg
Views: 223
Size:  168.1 KB
    Name:  Scan0045 (519x800).jpg
Views: 221
Size:  213.9 KB

Not giving up
    Name:  Warrior Female WIP 2 (1024x663).jpg
Views: 221
Size:  215.2 KB

My Sketchbook
    Crits and help of any kind are more than welcome!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great improvement! and you're only 14

Maybe it's a weird advice, but I think If you can, when you're drawing a character don't hesitate to look at yourself (from a mirror), take your arm to see how it turns etc.
    Because structure and academic learnings are essential, but it is good to replace it some time to time ,not only from the same proportions, as the pinups or warriors (with x heads in the body every body wants to). Put more "real human" in your human character from nature, and you are a good beginning!

Hope It will be useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Avon, thanks for stopping by my SB!

Can't believe you're only 15 and already this good and dedicated. Got no crits for ya 'cause you're clearly headed in the right direction. Just keep it up and post, post, post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My gosh. Only 15. I agree with the others, you are doing fantastic! I really like the latest anatomy sketches you've done.

Keep on doing the portraits. I think you'll have a real flair for them. Repetition is the way to go. I can do a fair portrait from my imagination (though I don't show many in my sketchbook right now) and that is almost 100% because I used reference a LOT, starting when I was your age. I did a lot of portraits of my favorite actors and actresses. The only thing I would have done differently back then was to draw from life more and to study anatomy more. (No internet for me when I was 15, so I made do! ) You are doing just fantastic and I know you'll really go somewhere fast! Keep on doing what you're doing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joulle Thanks! I'll give it a try

WestHarbor Thanks In my opinion age doesn't matter and doesn't really give me a reason to be any less dedicated than the amazing people on this website haha

Celadon Thanks! I really appreciate it
    I'm currently trying to just plain draw more and less procrastinate and be lazy in general haha so there will be some more portraits soon

Just some fairly quick studies for today and a orc/creature marker experiment of some sorts, still trying to get the hang of markers
    The male figure's shading turned out a bit weird and the scan didn't help either haha

Name:  Scan0049 (428x640).jpg
Views: 214
Size:  127.1 KB
    Name:  Scan0051 (398x640).jpg
Views: 211
Size:  123.1 KBName:  Scan0050 (427x640).jpg
Views: 211
Size:  131.1 KB
    Name:  Scan0052 (551x640).jpg
Views: 210
Size:  184.3 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything is proceeding as planned here. Studies= Progression. I dig it!

For the girl with the moon behind her, watch the composition it is a little too open especially because of the negative spaces created by having the swords out like that. I see that you wanted a dynamic pose, which is great. But because you created such large open areas to the left and right of her it draws the viewers eye to that nothingness and then out of the picture. Therefore you need something in the background to chop up those large negative spaces, some would use objects (trees, buildings, other figures, etc) if you go this route, think about the narrative of this character to help inspire you. Where is this battle? Why do they fight? etc, or people often use subtle value changes in the background to direct the eye back towards the figure. A lot of the old CHOW winners had this, go look at that gallery.

Also think of the rule of Thirds with this image. If you do her head is a little high compositionally if you want it to be the main focal point. Also think about the triangle you've made, the swords behind the sides, her crotch the point and a line going through her head as the bottom (not explained well but I dont have PS to do a paint over sorry ) I would flip that triangle making her head the point. You could do this by maybe putting her swords into the fallen soliders as if she just finshed them off? having the handles point at an angle towards her face? Just an idea.

overall your making leeps and bounds! I wanna see more more more!!!

If you don't understand something I said, tell me and I may draw it out on paper and scan it in for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the SB post. Great stuff so far, especially for your age. To help push your drawing further, study perspective as much as you can. I always recommend Scott Robertson's Basic Perspective Drawing DVD for anyone starting out. Tons of information and exercises that'll keep you busy for months. Keep working hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...2&d=1379537954
    good stuff here in terms of structure and flow!
    I think if you draw in pen, you'll gain more line confidence quickly

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GenomeKilla Thank you so much man I really appreciate it!
    Your critique was spot on and Im working on fixing some of those things, frustration is really getting to me these past days.
    Thanks for taking the time

MrFrenik Thanks! I plan on doing some serious perspective studies in the next few months, just trying to figure out how to do them properly and I will definitely check out the Scott Robertson dvd's

The-Muddy Thanks! I will definitely try that out, when you say pen do you mean ballpoint or felt tip?

So frustration has been getting to me these past few days especially towards rendering and actually finishing stuff which is so much harder than I expected but I intend to pull through and just take the time necessary to finish things properly.
    Basically the only thing slightly worth showing is this metal study that I've spent more time on than I'd like to admit and it still looks like crap. In no way finished.
    Really just have to do more of these and find a good workflow and just spend alot of time on them.
    Thanks for looking and advice more than welcome as always
    Hate updating things like this but I guess failing is part of learning so I might as well post it here.

Name:  Armor study 01 (423x800).jpg
Views: 199
Size:  128.6 KB

Last edited by Avon; September 23rd, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Avon,
    Nice sketchbook you have here!
    Basically I can only support Genomekillas words: try to finish something or at least finish something to a point where you learned something (like update 69!)
    Also I can only advise you to try to do some paintings just for fun. I don't think it's possible to survive in the industry if you don't enjoy what you are doing
    Keep going, I'm really looking forward to your stuff when you're 21

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hvsky Thanks I really appreciate it! Im trying to work my way up to spending more time on each one and having quite a challenge finishing stuff because I feel that I tend to ruin alot when I try to tighten something up haha, another thing to work on I guess

So basically super frustrated AGAIN this whole week, procrastinating and feeling that what I do is never good enough.
    I set myself a ''schedule'' today and that works wonders to remedy the horrible procrastination I have haha.

Been drawing some but not nearly as much as I could have and my fear of failure and high standards are really holding me back so I intend to just go for it and start posting stuff everyday or as frequently as I can and try my best.(which might result in some pretty crappy stuff being posted so be prepared haha)

Found something I thought I'd share with those who dont know http://www.kindgirls.com/ NSFW but great references for females in good lighting.

Study I did this afternoon.
    More tonight

Name:  NudeStudy03 (427x640).jpg
Views: 173
Size:  95.8 KB

Last edited by Avon; October 7th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's some randoms the week dont like any of this really,some gestures which Im trying to get in the habit of doing, they say your first 10 pages are supposed to suck so I guess Im doing something right haha, its a real challenge to get it down so fast
    Threw some 15 min speedpaints in there too, might take some of this down
    Proper update tomorrow

Name:  Scan0053 (513x800).jpg
Views: 173
Size:  220.8 KB
    Name:  Untitled-1 (566x800).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  148.2 KB
    Name:  randomspeedpaint 15 min eđa ehv (226x320).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  41.7 KB
    Name:  WarmVsCoolHeadsketch (226x320).jpg
Views: 169
Size:  36.1 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not alot of time, my siblings are visiting from Iceland this week so Im basically busy all day but found a little time to draw and paint in between so I ''finished'' this study or atleast painted it to a postable state.
    Experimented with the soft round brush to get some gradients in this one but with questionable results
    More coming soon

Name:  Study04v2 (533x800).jpg
Views: 157
Size:  134.4 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment! Im glad you can get some motivation from some of the studies i do, Im trying to get alot of my process posted so it can help people through this journey. Cause its a crazy ass one hahaha Studies looking good still. Just keep putting in the mileage!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress man. You're kickin ass and takin' names. One thing to mention is that it doesn't look like you have a very solid understanding of the ear atm. Stan Prokopenko(Prokotv, is his name on Youtube I think) has some pretty good videos on the anatomy of facial features if you wanted to school up on it. They're informative and entertaining imo.

One the first sketch you uploaded on the 21st of October the arms are too short on the girl. You probably did this because you were afraid of hitting the bottom of the page. Remember that the wrists will be about crotch level and don't be afraid to run into the edge of the paper. Just try not to make anything tangent with it

Keep it up man

EDIT: just read that you're only 14. Whaaaaat!? Dude you've got a free pass to get better. Like work at this consistently and you can very realistically reach your goal of becoming a professional by 21.

Last edited by Beartankmaster; October 10th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alot of steady progress. Keep it up =]

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing start

I'm jealous of your youth and determination
    I can see progress pretty clearly in your sb.
    Your lines are getting much better in traditional pencil drawings and also your painting are becoming much much more solid.

I wish you all the best in your journey, Keep it up visiting you soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing pretty well so far, the key to improving is to just keep at it.
    But since you are already doing that I will just give you a couple of links you may appreciate.
    http://www.bestarmour.com/ < some good armour ref.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRj-2jjtvSw < a video by Anthony Jones explaining how he uses colour dodge to paint armour.
    The little study you liked in my thread is based on that video.
    http://www.proko.com/videos/ < these anatomy videos by proko are free and definitely worth a look.

Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you are 15 only and are doing this? First thanks for visiting my SB But Im really amazed by your skills already.
    Keep up doing what you are doing and you will reach your goal. Continue with the studies but dont forget to have fun aswell and just draw or paint just because its fun.
    http://ctrlpaint.com/library/ check this out, its both digital and traditional.
    Just have fun and dont loose your passion and keep doing what you are doing.
    I wish you the best in life!
    Keep drawing and keep rocking. Looking forward to see more from you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook with great studies so far!
    Some progress already showing. Keep on doing these studies and you will surely reach your goals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joe Thanks man! About the mileage Im drawing pretty much everyday but so much of it I just dont find postworthy haha

Beartankmaster Thanks! Proko's videos have helped me alot and I should be studying some more from his videos And yeah arms is a thing I struggle alot with, time for some studies.
    I dont want my age to be an excuse for not working hard really, but I guess it means I have more time haha, Thanks for the comment

V3T Thanks!

Matija Thank you I really appreciate that!

AdamSimons Thank you so much for those links! Anthony's values are so amazing and I loved the videos

Ninaren Thank you I really forget to just have fun with it aloot of times and put too much pressure on myself haha. And I've checked out Matt's videos before and he is an amazing teacher.
    Thank you for the comment

Satu Thank you!

So my sibling stayed a while and I did some sketching and attempted some portraits of my brother that turned out pretty bad, gaah most of what I do I feel is really bad and feel like it would put people off if I put it here.
    Tried a few self portraits from life and found them really fun!
    It took some tries until I got some decent result but Im fairly pleased with this one in terms of likeness, my shading wasnt too good on this one and the scanner only made it worse :/
    Also started a master study that I will be working on in the next few days and hopefully it will turn out good and I can learn something useful

Thanks for looking

Name:  Scan0058 (783x800).jpg
Views: 117
Size:  221.0 KB
    Name:  Scan0059 (780x800).jpg
Views: 115
Size:  342.6 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so many great studies! Try to diversify the types of bodies and people you draw for an even wider understanding of anatomy. After that, try some zombies or monsters to express what you know in a fantastical sense. Looking great though : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there, thanks for stopping by my SB! fantastic SB you got here really, great studies and great progress from page 1 really, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SAPRO Thanks! Yeah I really need some variety in my body types, thanks for the tip

rumpenstiltzkin Thanks!

So here's a WIP of the study Im doing, trying to not just colorpick the colors straight from the picture and put them down but for every color I put down I first make my own try or estimate and adjust the RGB sliders and try to really understand, its a real challenge and Im really learning alot

Check out LINRAN's tutorial on light and color if you haven't already where he talks about the RGB sliders and the color picker

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...38#post2097738

Thanks for looking

Name:  Sargentstudy01 (592x800).jpg
Views: 108
Size:  106.6 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use the RGB sliders too, after reading that tutorial a while back. It actually seems more intuitive to me now than the HSB, which I'm sure plenty of people will say is crazy, ha. And good studies here. Are you planning on finishing the Sargent, because it's turning out nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, you have a well-set goal and plenty of time. Also, a good start. Just keep going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff!! keep analyzing the form. Look how much you can decompose it into 3d primitives (geometric simple figures). If you practice how to draw good cylinders and boxes in perspective, you can draw virtually everything!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,481 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The amount of fluid in your refueled tank is on an admirable level, I highly
    advice that you watch closer the gauge above your front valve. I see in every
    post you are displaying some level of your frustration, I think that’s good for
    the reason that you already see your mistakes and that will thrive you to want
    and to improve more, but on the other hand it can be bad, cause you shouldn’t go
    through all your art life filled with frustration. Think about it, maybe you have
    set too high goals too soon, you should go a bit easier probably. Drawing and painting
    should be fun most of the time, if it’s not, if painting burdens you too much, makes
    you being frustrated, then you should maybe try something else, gardening or similar.
    In my eyes, you are improving with a solid pace, and if you keep on working like
    this for more years, you will achieve magnificent results, and I think that you could
    pat yourself on the back. Days will pass by, you will feel lots of letdowns and
    experience certain disappointments, but in the end happiness is what you will get.
    So don’t give up, you better hold on and bite that rope down even harder.

Sketchbook
    [last update; 12th September 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    DeviantArt
    blog

...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on the sketchbook! Good to see you're doing form studies of bodies - that's the way to approach it. You also have the same thing I have - your digital work looks a lot better than your traditional! I wish it was as easy to make corrections in pencil or pen as it is with a tablet, huh? Keep up the good work man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment on my SB really appreciate it

i'm not much of a painter, but i think your edges could be a little cleaner? in some of the painting studies you posted there are a few spots where the edges are a little blurry/messy. it's a small detail but worth paying attention to.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271739 - my sketchbook, feel free to drop by

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1