I always recycle all the drawings I do IRL
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I always recycle all the drawings I do IRL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I always recycle all the drawings I do IRL

I just got finished recycling all my IRL drawings that aren't in my currently used sketch book.
    Does anyone else do this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By recycling, you mean throwing away in a paper bin?
    What an odd question. Yeah. I also have that nasty habit of doodling on scraps of paper, envelopes and pain-medication boxes. Had I never thrown that stuff away, my apartment would look like a bad hoarder case.

If you meant recycle the idea, drawing the same things, then yeah, some times I do. When the doodle or sketch gets ugly and I sort of like the idea. Why not just erase the ugly? I mostly use ballpoint pens like the idiot I am :p. I'm mostly a digital artist though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Medusa View Post
    By recycling, you mean throwing away in a paper bin?
    What an odd question. Yeah. I also have that nasty habit of doodling on scraps of paper, envelopes and pain-medication boxes. Had I never thrown that stuff away, my apartment would look like a bad hoarder case.

If you meant recycle the idea, drawing the same things, then yeah, some times I do. When the doodle or sketch gets ugly and I sort of like the idea. Why not just erase the ugly? I mostly use ballpoint pens like the idiot I am :p. I'm mostly a digital artist though.
    Yeah, throwing away.
    I just hate looking at my old art, my room already looks like a hoarder lives in it so more papers isn't helping me haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know, depends on what kind of work you've got on those pages. I throw away your usual every-day scribbles and failed attempts. Finished drawings and studies that for some reason look presentable I usually keep. It's nice to be able to go back 5 years in time and see what you thought of as "presentable" back then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've gotten in the habit of tossing/recycling my gestures because they're usually warm-ups. Longer studies and creative sketches tend to be done in bound sketchbooks, and I generally keep them whole. But even a few more finished drawings will be tossed if I think they don't really add anything or stand out for me personally.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I hoard way too much stuff... But this does mean I have a good selection of art I did from the age of two on up, and it's kind of neat to be able to look back on that and see the whole journey.

I do "recycle" by drawing on the back of things, though. Gestures and thumbnails and similar chaff get reused as scrap paper for more gestures and thumbnails until there's no more room on the paper. If the sheet becomes a total lost cause, it then gets recycled further as a piece of scrap for wiping off excess ink or to put under something messy, or similar. When it's no longer good enough even for that, it goes in the recycle bin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's important to hang onto your old, bad art so you can measure how far you've come. My old art stopped being painful and now I just laugh at it. Try to keep at least a few favorites around, you'll be glad you did if you can stick with your art.

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    It's important to hang onto your old, bad art so you can measure how far you've come. My old art stopped being painful and now I just laugh at it. Try to keep at least a few favorites around, you'll be glad you did if you can stick with your art.
    This. I make sure I have durable hardcover sketchbooks for this exact reason. And I never tear out pages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep all my old terrible(er) "art" as a monument to all my failures.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should probably start saving digital doodles too, while I'm at it. It's much more tempting to discard those failures. Just a button click and it's gone forever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    This. I make sure I have durable hardcover sketchbooks for this exact reason. And I never tear out pages.
    You only need a handful of pages a year to remember how bad you were. If you are anything like me, you don't have space for a pile of sketchbooks as high as you are, so you throw away stuff. Anything that is not an idea I could see myself using in the future gets tossed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found out I really hate sketchbooks. I just like drawing on scraps of paper more.
    I usually scan them and store them on my computer. That way I can keep the lesser drawings ( pretty much everything I make right now), but still throw away the paper version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    You only need a handful of pages a year to remember how bad you were. If you are anything like me, you don't have space for a pile of sketchbooks as high as you are, so you throw away stuff. Anything that is not an idea I could see myself using in the future gets tossed.
    I don't think I'm a good judge of that for myself. At least when it's something recent. There can always be something I misjudge that I'm better off keeping. I'd have to give something a couple years to be able to judge it well.

Still cant do that with the hardcovers, anyway. It'll still stay the same size unless I tear up the binding.

Maybe my tone will change once I build up too many. I only started using sketchbooks back in 2008, and I've only wracked up 11 full books. And it's even slower now that I've decided to draw on the back of pages starting #11. But the difference is clear, looking back. It's a nice feeling.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 23rd, 2013 at 07:10 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.