Sketchbook: [Absolute Beginner] Climbing Olympus
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: [Absolute Beginner] Climbing Olympus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink [Absolute Beginner] Climbing Olympus

Hi I'm Splashmasher and this will be my sketchbook.

Long story short, I want to be a concept-artist. and I want to be one of the best, but like the title says I'm a complete beginner, so you shouldn't expect anything from this sketchbook (yet). this thread will hopefully show you my learning-process and help me get better by receiving information/tips/tricks from the more experienced artists.

I always considered people like Feng Zhu,Kekai Kotaki,Andy Parkart (that God of war art, my god),Aaron Sims, and many other video-game concept-artists as gods. They create entire universes/worlds/characters and visualize stories and games. I want to be part of that pantheon. But before I can Ill have to climb Olympus, and probably go through crazy labours like Hercules did.

Name:  Snapshot_20130121.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  148.5 KB

Warning, the quality of my first few pieces will be VERY bad. But I should be able to get a new camera and switch to a tablet soon, I just needed to post something and have a start.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up, man.
    Practice daily and you will go far.
    I recommend this sight for figure drawing, and I also recommend all the books my Andrew Loomis, who you can download for free on the net.

Keep it up!

Find my other stuff at:

At Conceptart.org: my Sketchbook.
    My art blog: the Endless Doodle;
    My webcomic: Hostel Monsters;
    And my short stories published by I Citizen Magazine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, Ill be sitting in a train for 3 hours today. Im gonna study some Loomis there (probably heads) and when Im back ill try to upload some stuff and hopefully recieve some tips and stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been practicing some random line/figure drawing and watching the Vilppu videos, planning on watching the gesture,spherical- and boxforms videos tonight and tomorrow morning. Ill probably upload some stuff I learned from the video+random gestures.

Also would you guys suggest watching the Vilppu videos over reading the Loomis books ? Everyone seems to suggest Loomis, but I learn way quicker by looking at things (and hearing the explanation).

Name:  villpu.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  38.8 KB

(I was just looking and listening to Villpu while drawing this one, I do realize how bad the atonomy is. Just practising with capturing the movement and shizzle).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not really good enough to advise as I'm a beginner too, however I have observed that using video to learn in conjunction with books the best. Of course the number one thing you can do is be patient and just draw as much as you possibly can, but not just draw, learn as you draw, observe. 1 hour of focused practice is better then 5 hours of unfocused practice.

This is what I go by, and I do seem to be improving however slow it feels keep going man

Please help me improve! Thank you for your time

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...osen-s-Journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, good luck with the journey. I started relatively recently, so I don't have much to add except: Draw, draw draw! My first books were Dodson and Norling for perspective.

You could probably work on improving the quality of your photos - something I've been trying to do, check out my sketchbook for pointers from others on taking better photos and good luck!

Please visit my sketchbook and give advice / say hello!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, posts like yours really get me motivated.
    I'm testing this new camera out. Also I'd like to ask if anyone has nice eyes/hands/boobies tutorials. Having alot of trouble drawing those.
    Name:  rsz_120130124_124922-1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  69.7 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.