Thanks

Question Ilm Internships?

has anyone here ever applied or been accepted into the 'industrial light and magic internship program'?

if so, for an art position, what do they expect from a portfolio-

e.g. are they expecting the quality of work to be that of a professional?

how many pages do they expect?

any information about the application process or the requirements of the portfolio's themselves would be greatly recieved.

thankyou - face.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't know about ILM, but I am pretty sure that JOSHUATHEJAMES did an internship with LucasArts so he might have some good advice. In general they usually want to see a little of everything (character sheet, enviornments, figure drawing, etc...) with a focus on whatever type of work you are aiming to do. Use only your very best work (don't include half finished or half hearted pieces) and although you want to show that you are versatile, don't overwhelm them with too many drawings and paintings. Keep it short and sweet. Showing experience with various programs (especially photoshop) can't hurt, but as far as I know they look most closely to see if you have a strong foundation of traditional skills. I hope this helps, good luck.
    Respectability is a cloak for the hypocrite. Inwardly we commit every crime in thought, but outwardly we are irreproachable.

-Jiddu Krishnamurti

Thanks
    thanks, but who is joshuathejames?

is he on the boards?

Thanks
    Yup.
    Respectability is a cloak for the hypocrite. Inwardly we commit every crime in thought, but outwardly we are irreproachable.

-Jiddu Krishnamurti

Thanks

Question

JOSHUA WHO!?!?!?!?

Thanks

Thumbs up

you may want to ask Android about that...I think he worked there for a bit??

-Joshua

Thanks
    ok, is android on the boards?

Thanks
    Yup!

But usually you should be banned for this question on this board

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    yeah android did...but you might be better off taking an internship at a game or other film company if you want real experience. ILM interns get to gather reference for three months. (unless things have changed).. You wont be doing much drawing of anything at all and while you will see lots of things...I dont think any of you need experience with reference gathering...

wait...maybe you do.

jason

PS...I know that ILM does FANTASTIC work...and the lure of that company is HUGE while you are in art school. I think that you might find that you will make double the money at digital domain or sony for doing the same kinds of work. ILM grossly underpays its employees while they live in the most expensive city in the USA. If you are one of the big guns then it might be different but for the most part the people who work there seem to complain pretty regularily about the pay from what I have personally heard.

this latter statement comes from a friend who works there. He makes almost half what I make and is a more experienced 2d/3d artist.

but..afterall...its not just about the money....what they do is amazing and that is why they can get people in for next to nothing compared to the rest of the industry.

btw...lucasarts does exactly the same thing....while other companies are paying game bonuses that can range from a good percentage of your salary to a percentage of the game title (a certain friend of mine just got his bonus and it was in the tens of thousands -

do you know what they gave the guys at lucasarts???? I think one year they got a cd case with the star wars logo on it...another year they got a little money I believe...and then the big one came...A PLAYSTATION TWO!!!

granted..their halloween party is amazing....fourth of july is rad too.

lucasarts salaries are about 25 percent less on the average than the rest of the game companies even though that company makes more money than god.

THERE...I said it!!! I will probably be struck dead by lighting from that same god. Goodbye all, I hope you have a happy new ye

oh no..what is that sound?? THEY ARE COMING! nowhere to hide...oh sweet jesus they are coming in....oh no...wait.. I didnt mean it...I...

Thanks
    what is the salary like for concept designers of individual films themselves?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    in all honesty...you should not at all be worrying about the cash right now. you should be asking questions about art history and anatomy and composition and....cuz without that stuff you wont go anywhere and your salary will be whatever mcdonalds is paying.

it depends on a lot of things....some artists are contract freelance and others are full time.

the range in pay is huge...freelance rates for an average concept artist (Im not talking about mullins here cuz I have no idea what a guy of his skills gets)...but rates tend to be in the 50-100 dollars an hour range for contract work.

salaries can be as low as 40 or so and as high as the moon.

its up to you...can you be the top dog? if you worry about the money then you arent worrying about the art and the only way to be top dog is to paint ALL THE TIME.

j

Thanks
    Hey, Jason...glad you could escape! Welcome back!